Referee Involvement During the Match

mat73557

So this weekend's Cleveland Duals.  Seemed to me like many of the referees are too involved in the match.

For example, at least couple of refs were VERY vocal during the matches, telling the wrestlers things like:

(from my film)

"Let's go fellas."

"No no, stay in bounds..stay in bounds."

"Offense guys..score...score."

"Stay in and score guys."

So my question is....Should they be saying so much?  What is taught?  I know they should push the action when there is little but telling a wrestler to stay in bounds?  Sometimes the strategy is to go out.

It also seems like there are some guys who dont say hardly anything....should there be a standard?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO...This going out of bounds or wrestling on the edge style is common amongst the weaker wrestlers/teams in the first & 2nd period. Because of advanced third period conditioning factor this strategy can keep it close to end up on top in a low scoring match.

The best refs will vocally threaten a stalling call for those wrestlers backing out or even like a fine Ryan wrestler at state individuals that was called for after shooting to go out of bounds rather than shooting to score. True offense is what they look for.

The best way in my opinion to never be scored upon when a bit weaker is to circle often and master the art of a front head lock always looking to improve postion rather than get a stalemate.

Btw... What ever happened to a traditional sprawl? Saw too many wrestlers this weekend using a crossface or wrestling of their hips to fight off a good shot.

The refs weren't the only ones that wanted the wrestlers to stay on the mat. I personally think the refs should push for more action, less fleeing and stalling.....especially the stalling on the mat, seems to be getting worse. Most of the good refs are vocal when it comes to action.

Agreed! No fun watching a match were a kid takes 10+ shots and the other kid plays defense the entire time. Saw that several times this weekend. got to call it or they will keep doing it.

I like when the refs talk to the kids to get more action out of them. I don't like when refs engage with the audience though. It does become about them when they are more focused on what they hear from the audience than what is happening on the mat. During one match the ref stopped the match 2 maybe 3 times and called potentially dangerous. The kid while performing the chicken wing kept running his hand up on the shoulder joint. One of the Bro parents yelled out that it was an illegal move not a potentially dangerous move ( a coach next to me agreed) and the ref looked back at him and reemphasized. "POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS". I believe the parent was correct and all knew it when the ref brought the attention to himself by doing that.

Intentionally going out of bounds is either stalling or fleeing the mat. If it weren't for space/safety issues I believe all high schools would go to the new college out of bound rules (all body parts of both wrestlers must be completely out of bounds). If any part of any wrestler is in bounds, near fall can still be given and even a fall can be awarded. Love it.

If going out of bounds to avoid wrestling isn't stalling, what is? 

Edited by Newestguy

I like when the refs talk to the kids to get more action out of them. I don't like when refs engage with the audience though. It does become about them when they are more focused on what they hear from the audience than what is happening on the mat. During one match the ref stopped the match 2 maybe 3 times and called potentially dangerous. The kid while performing the chicken wing kept running his hand up on the shoulder joint. One of the Bro parents yelled out that it was an illegal move not a potentially dangerous move ( a coach next to me agreed) and the ref looked back at him and reemphasized. "POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS". I believe the parent was correct and all knew it when the ref brought the attention to himself by doing that.

Possibly. 

If the move starts legal then goes illegal it is potentially dangerous.  Sometimes, particularly in a wing situation, if the bottom man is resisting this is often the case.

But if I am a parent or a coach, I think I am willing to give a referee the benefit of the doubt. mostly.  You know, I am ok with a coach taking me to the table on that if he has a question of why I am calling it that way, so then he can instruct his kid.  But usually potentially dangerous doesnt get questioned much.  Its about the kids.

A referee addressing someone in the crowd isnt smart.  If I am going to address you in the bleachers it would be to show where the door.is.

I've only tossed out one spectator in my entire career. 

She deserved it.