All State Selections

EBTHER

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No better coaching than AC.

The problem is, they are not in Knox County.  Thats why they dont get coverage.  Also, it sucks to have a great player on a under performing team because she never gets to have some spotlight even so she may be better than the ones that get all the spotlight just because they are on a really good team.  I understand giving the accolades to the team when we are talking about teams, but when they pull out individual players, maybe they should look across the board a little more.  There are some really good players outside of Knoxville.

AC has the best volleyball tradition in East Tennessee, period.  Their volleyball program has the support that most schools have for their football.  They may get passed up by another school sometime, but it hasnt happened yet.

Like I have said in the past: Bench all of the club players, coach the ones left, and see which school wins every time.  AC knows how to coach.

ORCAT, You lose again. Clubonly is right on this one. AC never has club players but they are always good. Bearden won with a female coach that had no idea about volleyball. You don't have to coach at Bearden because all their girls know how to play. That's how it is now. The differnce is that the last 2 years Bearden has had much better players than they have ever had. It's not the coach at Bearden. If it was they would have played in the state finals last year.

Clubonly, Once again you are correct!

Have to disagree. The Bearden coach is far superior. Look at what he has done the past two years. Third in the state. He turned Bearden into a power.

When was Bearden 3rd in the state?  They finished 4th in 2012 (behind Ravenwood, Brentwood, & Sullivan South) and didn't make it to state in 2013.

Shouldn't you be logging in as k2ruth soon to argue with yourself?

Anderson County has produced somewhere between 70 and 80 first team all state players. When my daughter played the state also recognized second team all state players, but I don't know how many AC players were recognized. I can't imagine that Farragut or Catholic have more than 7 or 8. For some reason Orcat despises AC and never gives them credit for anything.

Ebther what does CAK do to recognize the girls? One of my daughters favorite memories of playing was making all-state. The school hosted a ceremony where she and her teammates received flowers, and the local paper did a story. The AD would then have a large picture made which is hung on the wall of fame.

Every year at the start of the season coach Cantrell would bring the entire team together and go over the history of the program and recognize each player that had made all state or gone on to play at college. It takes over an hour but it lets the girls learn about the history of the team, and who wore their number in the past. He then challenges them to make their own history. It was cool.

Bratman

CAK does not do anything to celibrate its all state reciepients.  Two years ago there player Teresa Slade was honored with KIL player of the year and a all state spot and  nothing was even mentioned at the school.  No Plaques,  No banners,  no ceremonies.  The coach i feel does not let the players be singled out because it is a team sport and no player is better than the other. The Hooper girl could be the schools first 4 year All state recipient and they wont do anything for her either. Nor do they recognize any of the other players on the list for that matter.  I think it is a shame that these girls put in so much hard work and and cant even get a cerimony  or a plaque to celebrate there accomplishments.

EBTHER, That's a shame. That probably tells you why the CAK coach is helping the Bearden coach with his new club. They think alike. Didn't the CAK coach do some coaching in college? Why, then, is he coaching high school. Oh wait, becasue he was so good in college that he decided to try his luck at high school. Oh wait, I know, because he was so good in college but he got a calling and just knew that the right thing to do for him was to lower his standards and coach high school.

I put The CAK, Bearden and Ex Karns coach in the same category. Can't coach worth a dime when they don't have talent. We will see what he does if the Hooper girl chooses not to play high school. If that happens he will not win. When she leaves his winning ways will be over.

I love the Hooper girl. She dominates!! 

Is the CAK coach new? We left in 06 to move back north. It was a lady when I was there.

I agree with BBV end EBETHER. This sounds more like a coach that wants the attention to be on himself, not the players.

I played on a high school baseball team that won two titles and I play D1 ball at Miami before a four year shot playing pro ball. You always recognize the athlete. The Lady Vols retired Parker's journey last night.

Small college jobs are awful jobs. I did it for three years. No money, you are the driver of the bus and washer of the jerseys. Unless it is an established D1 program I would put it lower than a strong high school program. Surely this coach doesn't talk about that being a good thing. High School pays more if you teach.

I had never watched a volleyball game until my daughter started in 2002 as a freshman and had never touched a ball. She was basketball and track. I was blown away. I have said before it I was blown away by the experience, it was run better than a college program.

100% of the focus was on the girls. Everything. After evert game the seniors picked who rang the victory bell. If someone made a hustle player they got to wear a special yello jersey for practice.

The coaches were all positive all of the time.

When my daughter was a junior Coach Cantrell and his wife took us and our daughter to dinner to talk college options. A lot of our players came from families where neither parent had gone to college and they used this time to explain how it works.

Everything was about team, but Coach Cantrell felt it was important to recognize individual accomplishments. He would not give interviews to papers, he had the players do it. Also, the players get alot of voice in practice.

He was firm, and demanded that the girls give their best, but you could tell he loved these girls.

EB I agree with you, it is the coaches job to make sure these players get recognized. It seems like these coaches promote themselves as opposed to the team. I think it is a bad idea for the high school coach to have a money interest in club. It should be about the girls.

I support what you parents are doing. It is important, they are your daughters.

Also, don't get me wrong, I had struggles at AC. I was really critical when my daughter did poorly and would call her out during games, the coach came up to me and told me to dial it back. That surprised me, but he said he was trying to build confidence in her, and that what I was doing was making her afraid to fail. I got my nose bent out of shape and thought I knew more about how to coach than a high school girls coach. I was wrong.

My daughter is a strong, confident young woman because of how she was treated and what she accomplished in volleyball. Hold these coaches accountable. The can destroy a young girls esteem.

My kid still gets a letter or a call year asking how she is doing and telling her about the team. I hate getting on here because I don't know these teams, and I feel I talk to much AC. But these coaches made a big, positive impact on my child life and I appreciate it, and became friends.

When I am in town I try to stop in and say hello. This year I read that they missed the Regional tourney for only the third or fourth time in school history. i called to say sorry, and got a thirty minute lecture on how this team was one of the schools best. They kept getting better(he said they were young and small) but played hard and never quit believing in themselves. He then proceeded to tell me how great the girls were and that the coaches were already coming up with a new offensive structure for next season. If you don't know him, coach is a world class TALKER and wore me out about how great the girls did. No negatives were said, or excuses made, just predictions of how much fun this year was and that they had a great shot to get back to state next yea.

You parents are doing the right thing. Hold coaches accountable. All it takes to have a winning team is for the girls to work hard and for the coaches to build them up and instill a belief within them that they can win

Again, I don't know the CAK or Bearden coach. But it seems like you parents are asking the right questions. I did no the Karns coach and thought all she did was promote herself.

Keep up the good work. P

Hey how is the weather. We had a massive power outage and I built a fire this morning, that's why I am up so early! Our high today is a balmy zero!

Bratman

The Coach at CAK is a great guy put his personality is what gets in the way.  He has been at the school for 4 or 5 years now and has elevated the program to new heights. Has coached them to their third consecutive state tournement appearances one of which they finished as the runner up to an unbelievable Good Pasture team.  He did come from a small college program but he came to CAK to run the Leadership program at the school and his students love him.  He is a great coach and a wonderful spiritual leader to the girls.  His goal is to promote the school and the team first.  As i said his personality is what confuses everybody.   He is kind of intriverted and seems to think that while individual awards to a player are nice,  the need to celebrate the team effort is more important and doesnt believe that one player is more important than the other.  The girls have learned to live with the Philosophy and have been really solid teams.  I just wish the hard work some of these girls put in was recognized a little more.  Some of the girls put in countless hours at the gym and run club gambit to improve themselves in the off season.  They deserve the accolades the press gives them.  Just Sayin'

EB, The coach isn't going to give anyone attention. Might as well come to grips with that. If I were you I wouldn't let my daughter play next year (if she isn't a senior). If she has skills to play college let her focus on training during the fall and get ready for college. The training that she will get at her club is FAR superior than what she will get in high school. I found that my daughter always gets worse during the high school season.

BRAT, Can you put the post before this past one in the Bearden topic? If not I will try to.

It's cold here but no snow.