Losing wrestler to shake opposing coach's hand or not?

mat73557

So lately I have decided that there is not much interesting going on the wrestling forum so I have taken to make it more so.

At GP West, one of our wrestlers beat a guy by a close decision and after the match the other kid was so dejected that he simply walked to the circle, bent down and pulled off the leg band, stuck his hand out backwards without making any eye contact, made limp hand contact with the winning wrestler, and finally walked back to his corner, shook his own coaches hand and walked off the mat. 

The omission of shaking the opposing coach's hand I took as a sign of disrespect and immaturity.  It also hurts the reputation of his team in my opinion.

Anyone disagree?

So lately I have decided that there is not much interesting going on the wrestling forum so I have taken to make it more so.

At GP West, one of our wrestlers beat a guy by a close decision and after the match the other kid was so dejected that he simply walked to the circle, bent down and pulled off the leg band, stuck his hand out backwards without making any eye contact, made limp hand contact with the winning wrestler, and finally walked back to his corner, shook his own coaches hand and walked off the mat. 

The omission of shaking the opposing coach's hand I took as a sign of disrespect and immaturity.  It also hurts the reputation of his team in my opinion.

Anyone disagree?

why not worry about something more important in your life. Seriously

I don't like it.  I think that meeting after the match to shake hands is enough.  As a coach, I either want to talk to my losing wrestler immediately or get my next guy up ready. 

We shake when the captains go out, before we wrestle, after we wrestle, then shake the coach's hand, and then after the match...we shake hands again. 

I give my guys the choice.  If they want to do it, fine.  If they don't, fine. 

why not worry about something more important in your life. Seriously

Because I like worrying about things like that.  Your last post was like a year ago...did I hit a nerve?

The rest of you have some good points.  In youth wrestling, the kids are taught to go shake the opposing coaches hand.  I have noticed that most collegiate wrestlers do not.  Was just curious when it was appropriate to stop. 

That ok with you 2blLeg?

Because I like worrying about things like that.  Your last post was like a year ago...did I hit a nerve?

The rest of you have some good points.  In youth wrestling, the kids are taught to go shake the opposing coaches hand.  I have noticed that most collegiate wrestlers do not.  Was just curious when it was appropriate to stop. 

That ok with you 2blLeg?

You check when I post? Really? You really need to get a life, how pitiful

For me, it is one way for my kids to learn respect and build character, win or lose.  It is ok to get beat and be mad, but you will show character and respect at all times.  However, i am not offended if the opponent does not shake my hand.

Yes, some good points! Not necessarily a reflection of one's level of sportsmanship, i.e., Baylor & a few others with the option, but probably doesn't hurt to make it customary in my view. May lead to one less angry driver one day "road raging" down the hwy