Region 1 finals predictions

newcoach215

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Townsend faced Ruth three times this season with the last occurring during district/regional duals 10 days ago.

#1 12-5 fall RUTH

#2 12-21 8-5 RUTH

#3 1-24 8-4 Townsend.

That is good to know. Seems like one is getting better and the other is just staying the same. Hopefully it will be a good match if they both make it to the finals

It seems that the region as a whole is really down this year. It may be just me, but there seems like usually there is more good competition than this. It seems that most of the regions are down though as well. Just my two cents.

IMO the A/AA separation hurt this year as Greeneville and Sullivan East many times had kids in the Region 1 finals. Seymour being moved out of the region hurt too I believe. They had 2 or 3 kids usually pushing for the finals. Still got some good kids in there and I am sure the finals wont disappoint.

IMO the A/AA separation hurt this year as Greeneville and Sullivan East many times had kids in the Region 1 finals. Seymour being moved out of the region hurt too I believe. They had 2 or 3 kids usually pushing for the finals. Still got some good kids in there and I am sure the finals wont disappoint.

I understand that. It hurt a lot of regions. There just will not be those battles of good wrestlers in the cons semis and for third and fourth. That is the only part that gets hurt in the scheme of things. The finals still should be good, but maybe in a couple of years there will be better competition throughout the tourney.

I understand that. It hurt a lot of regions. There just will not be those battles of good wrestlers in the cons semis and for third and fourth. That is the only part that gets hurt in the scheme of things. The finals still should be good, but maybe in a couple of years there will be better competition throughout the tourney.

I got you. Depth is definitely not a strong point for Region 1. Goes back to building strong feeder programs at the youth and middle school level. Not a lot of schools want to make that investment of time and effort. Science Hill  and TN High are two that definitely are seeing the rewards of their local youth programs.

I'm still on the fence of whether the split will improve participation and eventually, competition.  I don't think "participation" should be the ultimate goal, but no one at TSSAA asked my opinion anyway. 

I think the level of wrestling in Region 1 as a whole is improving year over year.  I think if we were put back in last year's region there would be several battles to remember in both the championship and consolation rounds .  As it stands there will be wrestlers placing top 4 who would have been 2 and out last year, as such, the competition level may not appear as impressive.  There is no doubt we will improve our medal count over last year but increased participation did not make that happen.

I agree that the feeder program is key.  (See the other Coacht thread titled The Pipeline--there is extensive discussion regarding the benefits of feeders)  Region 1 has definitely improved in this area and we will see the results of this, both big and small school, over the next few years.   

Edited by tmarshall7

I'm still on the fence of whether the split will improve participation and eventually, competition. I don't think "participation" should be the ultimate goal, but no one at TSSAA asked my opinion anyway.

I think the level of wrestling in Region 1 as a whole is improving year over year. I think if we were put back in last year's region there would be several battles to remember in both the championship and consolation rounds . As it stands there will be wrestlers placing top 4 who would have been 2 and out last year, as such, the competition level may not appear as impressive. There is no doubt we will improve our medal count over last year but increased participation did not make that happen.

I agree that the feeder program is key. (See the other Coacht thread titled The Pipeline--there is extensive discussion regarding the benefits of feeders) Region 1 has definitely improved in this area and we will see the results of this, both big and small school, over the next few years.

It's not just region 1 in recovery mode. Science Hill and TN High are getting better based on feeders. The thing you also have to consider is injuries and such. They were lots of teams this year as a whole that when a light weight got hurt, they didn't have anyone to throw in there. I remember when DB was good not based on middle school but AAU. It takes a talented coach to coach AAU or middle school. It's something hard to find. Yes there will be a decent showing at state in AAA, but I think medal count will be around the same. I think there will be a couple on the outside looking in. Region 2 in my opinion will have more medals.

There will be changes made throughout the week if there are any injuries or any other unforeseen incidents pulling anyone out of the tournament. Easier to wait until Friday to release final brackets.

For instance, Jefferson unfortunately has had to pull Soto from 113 because of injury, so the seeds will roll up placing Austin (SH) in the bottom half of the bracket as the 4th seed.