Region 1 finals predictions

newcoach215

Newcoach -- Yes it says a lot when you're talking about Region 1.  And forgive me, but Mtown West is an also ran--what did you see that makes you believe they are anywhere near the top 4 in Region 1?  I'll be surprised if they are top 6.  Science Hill, Dobyns Bennett, Jeff Co, Tenn High, Crockett are the top 5 (in no particular order) but please explain how West goes from worst to top 4, is there a huge infusion of talent that we've all somehow missed?

I'm not saying they should be talked about as a top 4 team going into it but I am saying that everyone will be pleasently surprised. MoWest has had close to full line ups at the start of the past 2 seasons and wrestlers have seen injuries. The team slowly withers away after leadership roles get hurt. I'm not sure if you know many of the guys they are going to have but I can tell you Whitelaw(220) will not have a problem this season proving how solid he is as well as Grothe(either 60 or 70). Whitelaw seriously injured his back his freshman year but has slowly worked his way back to full recovery. When Grothe was a 45er early last season I would have put money on him majoring Williams from East but he broke his hand. I'm not saying he will win the region because he will probably run into Palmer but he can definatly make it to the finals. Simerly(195) could be top 4 as well (also broke his hand). He missed his freshman year but as an 8th grader he was 3rd in AAU state. I know that doesnt mean much at all in high school but he is making strides. Obviously they have Broyles making the cut to 52 and should win the region. Davis(220 or 285 depending on the wrestle off with whitelaw but he has not been getting the best of him) took on Alex Breeden a couple of weeks ago and only lost 4-2. I understand he has a little size on Breeden but it showed how much better he has gotten. He only weighs 217 right now but he is working on getting bigger for 285. I agree they are by statistic the worst team in the region right now and I'm not saying they will do as well as I expect but look for a much improved team for sure. Not to metion a freshman theyre getting at 285 that went 4-1 at a pigeon forge tournament a few weeks ago. I'm not saying they will go out and beat the Hill or anything but I am definatley saying they are capable having 5 guys in the region finals and walking out with 2 champs(Broyles and Whitelaw). I'm warning you the kids I've listed are NO JOKE. Lets also not forget about their feeder program at West View that dominated Jefferson Middle and every other school in the IMAC. MoWest for sure has a brighter future than everyone realizes.

Edited by newcoach215

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that's good NewCoach.  Its good to be optimistic and I wish your team luck! I was just looking at your all's Region results from last year and could not figure how you planned to pull off such a dramatic turnaround, but if you had all those injuries I guess it makes sense. 

I can't remember ever watching Grothe, but he sounds like a very solid wrestler and I hope to see him at some of the tournaments, will you all travel to Nashville or Chattanooga during the season?  I've heard good things about Whitelaw as well--I think it will be fun to see how well he does if healthy.  l assume he will be the team leader this year? 

Is Broyles a Jr. or Sr. this year?  I am always hopeful for him because I know he has put in a lot of effort, but just never seems to win when it counts.  Do you think he will make the cut to 52?  Even if Begley goes 70?  I think Broyles will have his hands full even at 52, especially if Rolston (SH) returns to 52.  Looking at your region results from 2014 Armstrong (Vol) and Jeffers (DobBen) seem solid and might be up to 52.  Again, I hope Broyles finally gets the title, but it doesn't look like a gimme.   

Well that's good NewCoach.  Its good to be optimistic and I wish your team luck! I was just looking at your all's Region results from last year and could not figure how you planned to pull off such a dramatic turnaround, but if you had all those injuries I guess it makes sense. 

I can't remember ever watching Grothe, but he sounds like a very solid wrestler and I hope to see him at some of the tournaments, will you all travel to Nashville or Chattanooga during the season?  I've heard good things about Whitelaw as well--I think it will be fun to see how well he does if healthy.  l assume he will be the team leader this year? 

Is Broyles a Jr. or Sr. this year?  I am always hopeful for him because I know he has put in a lot of effort, but just never seems to win when it counts.  Do you think he will make the cut to 52?  Even if Begley goes 70?  I think Broyles will have his hands full even at 52, especially if Rolston (SH) returns to 52.  Looking at your region results from 2014 Armstrong (Vol) and Jeffers (DobBen) seem solid and might be up to 52.  Again, I hope Broyles finally gets the title, but it doesn't look like a gimme.   

To be honest I'm not sure what their schedule looks like for next season. Also Whitelaw and Broyles should be the captains as far as I know. They are both seniors. Last I spoke Broyles he said he would make the cut to 52 because thats where his best chances are to be all state. If I remember correctly Broyles stuck Armstrong last season and has beaten Rolston several times. I'm not sure if he has wrestled Jeffers but in order to win it will for sure be no gimme.