What should coaches base their success on?

Tin-Man

I went to high school in Knoxville and know a lot of the guys that played high school ball. 
I was wondering what the CoachT population thinks about how a coach should fill successful or how they feel a coach shows success.

Personally, I think a high school coaches job is to prepare kids for college soccer. Winning (drive to win) is built into this philosophy and is its own subheading. If we were making an outline it might look like this

A.   Prepare players for College Soccer

1.    Training
                a.   Competitive (winning) attitude
                b.   Soccer IQ training (team-based instruction, tactical awareness)
                c.   Technical ability
       2.    Playing
                a.    Winning attitude
                b.    Expectation of team-based play (whatever style is: use center to open up flanks, use long switches to utilize one-on-ones, build up attack from back, center mid making forward runs, etc.)
                c.    Ability to play different styles based on opponent
      3.     Atmosphere
                a.    Sessions ready and have purpose, challenging schedule, smooth trips (money for buses and overnight stays where team stays together), great food budget, video sessions, locker room speeches, game plans for each opponents, etc.

Some kids want to play high school soccer just to have a good time, build bonds of brotherhood, etc. and that is wonderful.
Other kids want to play high school soccer to help them on their way to a higher level of soccer.
It seems to me that the players playing for fun will have fun (as long as the competitive nature does not go too far and ruin things) and the players wanting to transition into college ball will have an easier time

Edited by Tin-Man