State Brackets are out

baller95

This guy, who has been bragging the entire season on how great and wonderful region 4 is, and how no one other than them need to wrestle, now is bellyaching that they didn't get good draws.

If the region is as great as you have bragged all season, and they will be the only ones standing at the end, as you have said repeatedly, why cry about where you sit.  Just win as you predicted.

I would think that you would have bellyached so much last weekend, as they all were beating up on each other.  Now your wonderful kids get to beat up on everyone else, and you start your whine fest.

Ha! Not all season just the past couple of weeks and only in response to other regions' talk on here.

Someone asked who the unbalanced brackets benefited the most so I answered with the numbers. It was an unbiased response stating only the facts. Obviously it upset you.

I stand behind my predictions from 2 weeks ago that this area will have the most champs. Despite coming from less populated areas with fewer schools and competing in lop-sided brackets.

Don't be so tender, no one is whining but you obviously. I simply answered a question with the statistics. Good luck this weekend!!

I think in seeding you have to put a value to variables.

Does a previous state champ account for more than a kid ranked all season?

Won / loss records?

Head to head competition?

Best record head to head or who won last meeting?

State placer previous year?

Color of singlet?

What variables should be given how much influence in seedings?

Wow, after all of your years in wrestling that you claimed you still don't know seeding criteria order? Granted they can all vary but most are very similar.

Current season head-to-head usually trumps the rest.

One person that most likely appreciates the tougher challenges early on is Al Miller, who has been known for Deemphasizing seeding thus getting the business over with early and allow the advancement points to benefit his Blue Raders and take away from others + the increased value of bonus points in championship rounds mount against lighter competition.

One person that most likely appreciates the tougher challenges early on is Al Miller, who has been known for Deemphasizing seeding thus getting the business over with early and allow the advancement points to benefit his Blue Raders and take away from others + the increased value of bonus points in championship rounds mount against lighter competition.

Your knowledge and insight continues to amaze me.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry you didn't like the comment. The content of the discussion is irrelevant.  Just commenting on the fact that you will be unable to address the coach from the floor immediatly after the match ends at State. 

It occured in a very public place. If you didn't want it viewed, you could wait to discuss it at a less public venue?

Edited by HSDAD

That was too kind, Rob West. Do you differ, or being genuine on this board for a change. I do know occasions where he, Al Miller, wouldn't show or even enter seeding stats prior to seeding meetings (over the past 30+ years) and his strategy seemed to work. I bring this up because seeding is such an issue here lately.

The points will all work out. Early byes can be a factor, if not scored or dispersed evenly of course

Edited by Sommers

I emphasized 'random blind draw' over 'seeding'.

I remember 160 being one of the most lop-sided brackets last year. Last year's results are a great example of how ranked wrestlers randomly placed into an unbalanced bracket can ultimately determine the outcome. If 95% of the talent is on one side of the bracket then the probable medalists are going to beat each other and eventually put each other out. While on the other side wrestlers have a much easier path and it is possible and even likely that a lowered ranked wrestler or even an unranked wrestler will make the finals.

If my memory isn't failing me.....I'm kidding. Lets throw some facts in the mix. According to Kenneth Hammonds rankings from 2/12/13 state tournament addition. 2,4,5 and 6 were on the same side of the bracket. 4 ranked kids on the same side of the bracket, who had the easier bracket. I think the number 1 seed or placement by the power brokers at TSSAA had the easier side of the bracket according to ranking's which you put a lot of stock into. The 5th ranked wrestler earned his state title, nothing was made any easier for him. Sometimes it appears you create arguments around the way you think things should have happened, not the way they played out. I think what usually happens is former placers know what it takes to make it happen when it matters most. Wrestlers that haven't placed before in a state tournament can lay blame at their own feet, where it belongs. Doesn't mean their not good wrestlers, they could be great wrestlers but maybe they haven't learned to hone their focus on the matches that matter. I hope they do start seeding the state tournament, I'm all for taking away any excuses some one could possibly come up with for not winning, but for now.......only two weeks in a season make darn. Regions and State, your focus should be directed there not to a meaningless tournament in November. Every year you see kids come in with big gaudy records, then you have some kid that's been competing against Brandon, Collins Hill, Baylor, Christian Brothers and McCallie then bam that awesome record gets two and done. How do you perform when it matters most, they placed for a good reason, they earned it.  

Edited by Tronado

I haven't went back and looked at brackets from last year. I remember that bracket being lop-sided and I thought the winner came from the other side. My mistake, I take your word that 2,4,5,and 6 were on one side and 1 and 3 on the other and 5 won. I thought it was the other way around like I said. That champion overcame great odds to win that weight. You make a good point that it can go either way in an unbalanced bracket. Anything can happen, and I'm not trying to belittle anyone or their accomplishments at all and I apologize if it came across that way. I just don't agree with the current system. I agree that those big gaudy records don't mean a lot especially if you haven't seen any tough competition all year. I do believe that head to head results do mean something when it comes time to seed a tournament. Obviously I'm not alone because its done thousands of times a year in every state by thousands of coaches. If what happened 3 months ago in November doesn't mean much as you suggest then surely whatever the other wrestler did 12 months ago shouldn't either. The current system rewards accomplishments from a year ago and ignores current season accomplishments. I haven't seen a meaningless tournament yet.

Rob, that sure was a fine match in the finals between your boy and Tronado's last season! Not sure Ethan will het that kind of challenge this season. I have been impressed with some of Russell's and MaRie's matches this year. Russell didn't wrestle aggressively in the gp west finals, but styles + Ethan's hips were too much for him at the same time.

With All that said, I see Ethan returning to the top of the podium again.

Sorry, my phone changes things. Meant Larue.

Looking at some of these brackets tells me the state should be broken up into four areas as a part placement. Too many wrestlers meeting from the same general area by the quarters. Create some suspense for a change, fresh meat till later, i.e., Warren & Garrison knows each other all too well! Great finals match imo.