Science Hill loses point.guard 2 games

numnuts

For all posters who were not at the game... Here it is in a nutshell. Tarter played for a total of 6 and a half minutes in the first half cause the ref from the Knoxville area called to arm bar check calls. The post fouls was legit. She then played the 3rd quarter maybe all I can't remember. So she still has NOT PLAYED A HALF of basketball. She plays 4 minutes of the fourth. Coach has subs up and play continues for 45 sec and the foul for all starts near the 3 mark. Coach did right by having her play for 2 and a half quarters in a region game. As for the semi finals, it will be a good test for the other young ladies and see if they have what it takes to rise to the TOPP!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't there and don't know what went down, but I did read the tricitiessports.com article. I agree that players should keep their cool and officials should not be disrespected. However, in this situation it appears the official was a bit overzealous.  I will give the benefit of doubt for whistling a "T" for slamming the ball out of frustration.  But in my opinion to follow this with another "quick" whistle shows a serious lack of discretion unless there was a grievous action by the player which does not appear to be the case. I don't know if there is a concerted effort on the part of the TSSAA for the tournaments or if it's a self-imposed emphasis from the Knoxville Association, but the group that officiated the EHS-Claiborne game made a point during the captain's meeting to warn players NOT to say ANYTHING to the officials.  Just a few notes of commentary on my behalf: 1. the Knox Assoc. is not very good, 2) neither is the Smokey Mtn Assoc.  As much as I don't like some of the duds we have in the Tri-Cities Assoc., the group of officials is really good overall.  As much grief as I give them, I rate the Tri-Cities Assoc among the best in the state along with a few others.

Edited by etownsparky

The Athens association is our home association. They have some extremely good refs and some that are just looking for a reason to 'T' someone up. Last year in our sub-state game one of our post players was 'T'd' up for bouncing the ball after she was called for a foul. The bounce was very insignificant and she actually caught the ball waist-high after it hit the floor. She was ejected due to an earlier foul way back in the 1st quarter that was also a ticky-tack call. This caused her to miss the 1st round of the state against---you guessed it--Science Hill! These calls were made by the South Central Association.

Walk away after the foul, especially if you have just been 'T'd up. You have no other option if you want to stay and play.

It is nearly game time.  I have not seen Morristown West this year, so I do not know what style they like to play.  I am betting they will test Science Hill's ball handling and press breaking abilities without Tarter early and often.  If Science Hill can handle pressure and get it inside they should be ok.  If not, it could get scary for the Toppers.