private vs public tssaa needs to seperate

lynard

Something I rarely hear (if ever) is homeschoolers. Tim Tebow and some other college and NFL players were homeschooled. I think Florida is smart in allowing homeshoolers to play sports in their local public school district, after all, the taxes paid by the teaching-parents help pay for public schools. Lots of untapped potential stars in homeschools. BTW, I have four kids, and thanks to life's ebb & flow all of them experienced all systems, they were homeschooled, went to privates, and publics. Plus, not just homeschooling but I was also a f.t. teacher at privates (gr.7-12), AND the principal at two privates, plus a sub teacher for publics. All this was in 4 diff. states. So yeah, I have a little exposure to this public-private issue. But homeschoolers (which are growing big time) should be allowed to play sports for publics imho. Just a thought. And yes, split publics & privates, then perhaps have the respective winners from same-sized schools play each other in a public vs private bowl game. Or do an all-star game with players from each, pri. vs pub game. But split, allow homeschoolers on publics, and have bowl/ grand champ games of some sort. My input anyways. The End.

Homeschool kids CAN play for their local publics. Their homeschool curriculum has to be approved by the district superintendent and they can participate for the school they are zoned for or the school the bus would take them too if the district is open zoned. They cant just pick a team and go play.

The only issue I have with this is how do coaches monitor their grades and behavior compared to all the kids who have to get up , get on a bus , switch and make it to 4 different classes on time all day then go to practice?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Homeschool kids CAN play for their local publics. Their homeschool curriculum has to be approved by the district superintendent and they can participate for the school they are zoned for or the school the bus would take them too if the district is open zoned. They cant just pick a team and go play.

The only issue I have with this is how do coaches monitor their grades and behavior compared to all the kids who have to get up , get on a bus , switch and make it to 4 different classes on time all day then go to practice?

The problem is most school systems don't feel comfortable being held responsible for the actions of kids that they don't have control of.

• 3 months later...

How does anybody see the private schools being aligned when they do split.  There are not many private schools so do you group everyone together in one region and split them up for playoffs? Will they have A, AA, and AAA for football or just A and AA? 

Numbers say A and AA to keep travel distances reasonable...an extra cla$$ would add some ca$h to their pocket$, $o who know$?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

All public school's should be zoned,for example look at South Pittsburgh they are a single a school that is competitive every year because of a no zone  that allows students to go there from any part of the county,This county Marion,, is as large as Franklin Co., Lincoln Co., Bedford Co., Coffee co.,  Ect.,,So we as smaller county's have to try to compete with them ,Near impossible, Why not zone Marion Co., and make it a bit more fair for the rest of us..

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:55 PM, oldraiderfan said:

All public school's should be zoned,for example look at South Pittsburgh they are a single a school that is competitive every year because of a no zone  that allows students to go there from any part of the county,This county Marion,, is as large as Franklin Co., Lincoln Co., Bedford Co., Coffee co.,  Ect.,,So we as smaller county's have to try to compete with them ,Near impossible, Why not zone Marion Co., and make it a bit more fair for the rest of us..

Look at the kids from out of county that go to both Marion, Sp and even Whitwall. Just like there are kids from Franklin County, Coffee County, Moore County and Bedford county that all go to Tullahoma, or so I have been told.