It's Time to Separate the Public and Private Schools

@38320

It is time the people connected to public high schools across the state started to push to completely separate the public and private schools in sports competition (for championship purposes). It is evident with some moves of the private schools in recent years, they are going to continue to raise the bar with the money to a point public districts cannot keep up. Case in point - look what Chattanooga Christian School has just done in football, and this is just one example of many. 

If they are a private school, they should play in a private division, no exceptions. The public schools can either go to four class divisions or stay at the current class divisions. You will still have as many state champions and the public school coaches will be on somewhat equal footing with other public schools. 

The cry for this is most evident in football and basketball, but if you take a look at all sports, there is a need for it across the board. Let's get moving on this and place some public pressure on the TSSAA. It is time! 

It is time the people connected to public high schools across the state started to push to completely separate the public and private schools in sports competition (for championship purposes). It is evident with some moves of the private schools in recent years, they are going to continue to raise the bar with the money to a point public districts cannot keep up. Case in point - look what Chattanooga Christian School has just done in football, and this is just one example of many. 

If they are a private school, they should play in a private division, no exceptions. The public schools can either go to four class divisions or stay at the current class divisions. You will still have as many state champions and the public school coaches will be on somewhat equal footing with other public schools. 

The cry for this is most evident in football and basketball, but if you take a look at all sports, there is a need for it across the board. Let's get moving on this and place some public pressure on the TSSAA. It is time!

There's already a movement...Coach from Lewis Co. formed a "petition" of sorts (letters of support) and passed them on to TSSAA...we'll see...

Edited by tradertwo

I agree 100%, and also the open enrollement areas should have the multiplier. It is horrible for some these kids to never have a fair chance at a championship because of a team winning it every year. I mean when you have a 6A team go undefeated in a season except for being beat by a 3A team (that happen in 2010). Hmmmm, sound kind of strange to me. Just sayin, fair is fair. :popcorneater:

As someone who has worked in both settings I do not agree with or support the split.  You have just as many "dirty" publics as you do privates.  Same token you have privates who play by the rules and will be punished.  Now having said that, when you turn all privates loose be prepared for the results my friend.  "The devil you know is better than the devil you don't" 

As someone who has worked in both settings I do not agree with or support the split.  You have just as many "dirty" publics as you do privates.  Same token you have privates who play by the rules and will be punished.  Now having said that, when you turn all privates loose be prepared for the results my friend.  "The devil you know is better than the devil you don't" 

Please explain: "The devil you know is better that the devil you don't" I am not following you on that one. If we don't have to play them, who cares what they are doing. Not trying to start anything, I would still go watch some of their games. I just hate going and watching games that are not at all fair. Why do you think attendance is down when UTC goes and plays an Alabama or Oklahoma?

Please explain: "The devil you know is better that the devil you don't" I am not following you on that one. If we don't have to play them, who cares what they are doing. Not trying to start anything, I would still go watch some of their games. I just hate going and watching games that are not at all fair. Why do you think attendance is down when UTC goes and plays an Alabama or Oklahoma?

It seems easy to blame losing seasons on privates...  open zone should be as much of a concern and as soon as privates are gone, they will be the target.  When people lose they justify it some way and right now privates have the bullseye. 

I also think that the private division in Tennessee will become elite when this happens.  Recruiting will pick up and publics will lose a lot of great players because of it.  Maybe I am wrong, who knows.  Only time will tell...

I do see that happening with the private schools getting some of the better players from a school or two located nearby. However, they are not going to come out to the rural areas and get players en mass and truck them in and set them up in a dorm or apartment. I do see recruiting picking up some, but I think the good will outweigh the bad about 9 to 1 if a separation is made.