Inspiring for coaches and wrestlers...

Sommers

Yahoo NCAA Trivia Question (reminds me of some coach t threads 😜)

by JM » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:52 pm

As far as I know, there have been only four wrestlers in NCAA history who defeated two returning Division I NCAA champions in the same NCAA tournament. Two of them are Jim Gibbons and Darryl Weber. The other two are from the EIWA. Who are they? Hint - one is an ole' timer, one did it fairly recently....

JM

Expert

Re: Trivia Question

by King George » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:47 pm

Stephanopoulos, George (older)and Lopez, Mario (current).

King George

Veteran

by John Henning » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:40 am

John Fritz over Pat Milkovich in 1975 and Kyle Dake over David Taylor in 2013.

"Any boy can throw his hat into the ring and be a champion." Billy Sheridan Lehigh coach 1912-1952 (222-86-8)

John Henning

Expert

by JM » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:08 am

John,

You need to re-read the question. Wrestler had to defeat two returning D1 champions in the same year's NCAA tournament.

King,

1/4 credit for spelling Stephanopoulos.

Edited by Sommers

It's probably rare for many of our NCAA AA wrestlers to come from other countries, and certainly this was the case this year with the only wrestler from overseas (Mongolian) coming from our very own SoCon.

I'm confident UTC has some overdue hardware coming very soon. Hello, Soto, Mock, Peck and others... I feel it!!!!

Edited by Sommers

Here's a good one worth watching if you feel a bit challenged here in Tennessee.

Coach Branstetter of Poway High in Calif. ran into a major feat about 5 years ago with only a few varsity wrestlers left + some false accusations from a few foes causing further distractions,,, he knew his team would ALL have to overachieve and turn the tables in some key matchups to beat the odds and have any chance in a state (the largest) where there are No divisions. And, once getting qualified through sectionals vs. over 100 schools, there was still a 64 man bracket to fight through and earn that glorious climb up on the podium.

enjoy...

Those Who Stay Will Be Champions (25 minute versi…:

I'll never forget Jeff Patton, Bill Kennedy and others telling me about this Frosh/Soph Ohio HS wrestler and what he may become... Watch the Magic Man avenge a loss with some incredible scrambling...

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251592-Beat-the-Streets-2014/video/745031-74kg-Match-David-Taylor-USA-vs-Yabrail-Hasanov-Azerbaijan

It may be well worth the minimal flo fee to see it now!, rather later on YouTube.

You got to be proud of how our Elijah Oliver whooped up on Ill. State Champ Brian Rossi last year with Rossi winning against the toughest field in the nation in any state tournament bracket. 6 Nationally top ranked thrown in there & Rossi takes 1st in Ill. Div 3.

Also the following is something we southern folks can be proud of with multiple mentions of one of the best "one two punches" in the country from our very own Ga neighbors @ CH...

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/250736-Whos-1/video/745015-Whos-1-Season-End-Awards

Looks like the ol tex got annoyed again, but congrats to one of the highest Nationally ranked wrestlers Tn has had in some time, at 120...

1 Jr. Nick Piccininni Ward Melville NY 1

2 So. Luke Pletcher GR Latrobe PA 2

3 Jr. Kris Williams Thomwood IL 6

4 So. Chad Red New Palestine IN 9

5 So Mickey Phillippi Derry PA 10

6 Jr. Elijah Oliver Christ. Bros. TN 11

7 Jr. Markus Simmons Broken Arrow OK 14

8 So. Israel Saavedra Modesto CA 15

9 Jr. Chaz Tucker Blair NJ 19

10 So. Devin Schroder Gr Rapids CC MI HM

11 Jr. Cameron Sykora Border West MN HM

12 So. Alex Mackall Walsh Jesuit OH HM

13 Jr. Korbin Myers Boiling Sp PA HM

14 So. Kanen Storr Leslie MI HM

15 Jr. Jordan Allen Huntington WV HM

16 Fr. Todd Lane S. Columbia PA HM

17 So. Beau Guffey Tuttle OK HM

18 Jr. Doyle Trout Centennial NE HM

19 So. Noah Baughman Wadsworth OH 20*

20 Jr. Mason Smith Clio MI HM

Edited by Sommers

Another congrats to another great one on the opposite side of the great state of Tennessee @ 126 with a commitment to stay there near by with Heath & Co at UTC...

1 Jr. Matt Kolodzik Blair NJ 6

2 Jr. Sam Krivus Hempfield PA 8

3 Jr. Jared Prince Palm Harbor FL 9

4 Jr. AC Headlee Waynesburg PA 15

5 Jr. Boo Lewallen Yukon OK 17

6 Jr. Davion Jeffries Broken Arrow OK 18

7 Jr. Lincoln Olson Davison MI 19

8 Jr. Austin Assad Brecksville OH 13

9 Fr. Nick Lee Evansville IN 18

10 So. Kyle Norstrem Brandon FL 4*

11 Jr. Richard Montoya Las Vegas NM HM

12 So. Taylor Lamont Maple Mtn UT HM