Inspiring for coaches and wrestlers...

Sommers

Congrats to Cheatham Co Wrestlers, Coaches ...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/cheatham/2016/02/24/county-wrestlers-medal-state-tourney/80798462/

Pic

SUBMITTED PHOTO

Pictured are Sycamore High School wrestlers (from left) Caitlyn Gilmore, Zach Diviney, Logan Hayes and Mitchell Camper. Not pictured are Nena Chrestman and Jasmine Chandler.

Nine wrestlers from Cheatham County, Harpeth and Sycamore high schools brought home medals from the Class A-AA state wrestling tournament.

The tournament was Feb. 18-20 at the Williamson County Agricultural Expo Arena in Franklin.

Harpeth sophomore Braxton Hunter (30-3) finished second in the 120-pound division. He fell to Pigeon Forge’s Jacob Ruiter in the first-place match.

Sycamore junior Mitchell Camper (37-6) finished third in the 145-pound division. He beat Greeneville’s Garrin Shuffler in the third-place match.

Cheatham County junior Dallas Prater (30-6) captured fourth in the 152-pound division. He fell to Pigeon Forge’s Gary Reagan in third-place match.

Sycamore junior Zach Diviney (40-3) finished fifth in the 182-pound division. He beat Pigeon Forge’s Ethan Olinger in the fifth-place match.

Sycamore senior Logan Hayes (36-4) took fifth in the 285-pound division. He beat Hixson’s Guiliano Palacio in the fifth-place match.

Harpeth junior Daeyln Rose (33-7) finished sixth in the 152-pound division. He forfeited to Red Bank’s Russel Kell in the fifth-place match due to illness.

Overall on team scores, Harpeth finished 13th, Sycamore 15th and Cheatham County tied for 21st.

On the girls side, three Sycamore wrestlers placed in the tournament.

Sycamore’s Nena Chrestman placed third in the 112-pound division with a win over Siegel’s Madeline Davis in the third-place match.

Sycamore’s Jasmine Chandler placed sixth in the 165-pound division. She fell to Science Hill’s Ashley Thompson in the fifth-place match.

Sycamore’s Caityln Gilmore finished fourth in the 185-pound division. She lost to Montgomery Central’s Jada Hoskins in the third-place match.

— Staff reports

Thank you kindly Mr Hunt...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/2/23/318590/JOHN-HUNT-Soddy-Daisy-s-Tucker-Russo.aspx

JOHN HUNT: Soddy Daisy's Tucker Russo A True Champion

Senior Wrestler A Shining Example Of Overcoming Adversity In Sports

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - by John Hunt

Pic

John Hunt

I’ve covered a lot of sporting events in my 37-plus years as a sports writer.

I’ve had the honor of doing hundreds of feature stories about individuals who have performed at extraordinary levels, but I don’t think I’ve ever been any more inspired by anyone than Soddy Daisy’s Tucker Russo.

This guy went to the traditional state wrestling tournament last week in Franklin as a heavy favorite to win the 160-pound title in the AAA tournament.  After all, he had won state titles the past two years and he entered the weekend unbeaten.

Even more impressive, he had not allowed a single offensive point all season, which means he had not allowed a takedown, a reversal or back points in more than 40 matches.

He won his first match with a pin in the first minute, but he suffered a heartbreaking experience in his second-round match.

Leading a kid from Smyrna by a 5-0 margin, Russo was called for an illegal slam and the match was stopped.  Both the trainer and the kid himself said that he was okay and ready to continue, but the Smryna coach refused and took the win by disqualification, thus ending Russo’s unbeaten streak and the possibility of another state title.

Oh, it was a devastating and heart-breaking loss to be sure. Despite an unethical decision on the coaches part and despite the injustice of the situation, the call stood and Russo was then sent to the consolation bracket.

A lesser man would have reacted in a much different manner, but that wasn’t the case for the 18-year-old son of Steve and Sherry Russo.

You want to talk about making the best of a bad situation. That’s exactly what he did as he came back to finish third in his weight class.

I had already decided I would do a story on him when he won his third state title and my intentions were even stronger after seeing what happened.

I went to Soddy Daisy High School on Monday for my interview and I must admit, it was one of the most inspiring and heart-warming experiences I’ve ever had.

“It’s hard to say how I felt about it, but it was an unfortunate situation and I just had to make the best I could after it happened,†Russo said while taking a break from a morning class.

“I didn’t necessarily agree with it, but there was nothing I could do about it.  I just had to move on and learn from my mistake. You know, there are times when things don’t go your way, but it’s all about how you bounce back.  I think I got a lot of respect from people there by finishing third,†he said in his usual quiet tone.

While Russo has made his name on a wrestling mat, he has always been an outstanding athlete.

He earned a black belt in karate before starting wrestling at the age of six.  He was also outstanding as a football and baseball player in earlier years before deciding to focus only on wrestling.  The decision has turned out to be a good one.

“I couldn’t ask for anything better as wrestling has taught me so much and I’m still learning.  It has always been a positive experience for me and I’ve always been competitive.  You just have to believe you’re the best, but I’ve always had good coaches push me and my dad never let me take the easy way out.â€

And just who was the toughest match you’ve had as a prep wrestler?

“Without a doubt, it was Cleveland’s Ezra Taylor.  I lost to him 4-3 in the region finals when I was a sophomore but came back to beat him in double overtime in the state finals a week later. He beat me again the next year, but we were in different weight classes so we didn’t wrestle again.

“Ezra was always a tough competitor and we’ve been good friends for a long time,†Russo recalled.

“I got involved with the Soddy Daisy Kids Club when I was younger and I always wanted to wrestle for coach Steve Henry. All I learned along the way prepared me for a moment like last Thursday,†he added.

While Thursday’s experience was tough for everyone involved and even others who weren’t, it may have been the hardest for head coach Jim Higgins, who was back at the motel when it all unfolded.

Higgins had been ejected from the region tournament for unsportsmanlike conduct after questioning a referee’s call and was forced to sit out the next two dates that included Thursday and Friday of the state tournament.

Higgins was an undefeated state champion at Soddy Daisy when he was a senior, so he knew what Russo was facing.  He was another who was inspired by the reaction that his best wrestler displayed.

“I spent the entire weekend reflecting on him and what happened Thursday.  I was so uplifted and inspired by the way he handled it.  I think we were tested to the nth degree on sportsmanship, but there’s no better example of a good sport than Tucker Russo,†Higgins said on Monday.

“He’s a prime example of what we try to teach our kids, but he’s the real deal and he showed what he was capable of doing. Tucker has dealt with life’s trials and tribulations for a long time, but he really wanted to prove himself after that incident on Thursday.

“Tucker didn’t get what he was shooting for as a freshman when he lost in the state semis, but he’s been motivated ever since.  I just want him to get the credit he deserves.

“What he’s done at Soddy Daisy is beyond special and I can only hope to have another one like him one day.  And what happened to him last weekend may turn out to be the best thing that’s ever happened to him.

“I realized on Saturday morning that it would be Tucker’s last day as a Soddy Daisy Trojan.  There’s no other sport when the coach/athlete relationship is closer, but we knew the future was bright for him at the start.

“I’ve been able to count on him for four year as he was always a win in our pre-match plans, but he’s an example of a guy who did things the right way and he will be sorely missed,†Higgins concluded.

Former coach Steve Henry has a special relationship with Russo as he’s the same age as Henry’s twin daughters.  He’s known Russo most of his life and he continues to be impressed by the way this young man carries himself.

“Tucker physically challenges himself all the time, but he got started with our kids club and he took to wrestling like a duck to water,†Henry said on Monday morning.

“I stepped out (as a coach) when he stepped in, but that situation on Thursday was tough.  I had to be diplomatic and try to get the message across to the other coach while keeping my head.  We reflected on it all after his third-place match, but I just love that kid.

“He’s one of the most loving people I’ve ever been in contact with.  It’s an unjust world, but he handled it better than most,†Henry added.

Ashley Brooks has been a Soddy Daisy assistant coach for a long time.  He was another who was inspired by Russo’s action.

“Tucker is just an awesome young man and one of the best wrestlers to ever come through our program.  He manned up when he had to, but he’s a popular guy and everybody likes him.

“He’s a lot of fun to be around, even outside of wrestling, but he knows what he wants and the way he carries himself is impressive,†Brooks nodded.

Brad Laxton is another Soddy Daisy assistant coach who was in the corner when Thursday’s disqualification was handed down.

“Tucker has inspired me a lot of times, but how he handled himself then was top notch.  He’s what you hope your kid turns out like and he’s the kind of young man I want my daughter to bring home from college one weekend.

“It’s so easy to be a stand-up guy when things are going good, but not so easy when they’re not.  I kept reminding him of Dan Gable, who lost his last college match before becoming an Olympic champion.

“I’m not sure I’ll ever coach another one like him, but he’s the total package and a quality individual for sure,†Laxton said.

So what about the future now that his prep career is finished?

He decided after last weekend to go to the Senior Nationals, which will be held in Virginia Beach in early April. 

“At first, I wasn’t sure I wanted to go, but after last weekend, there’s no doubt as I don’t want to finish my high school career like that,†Russo said.

And there’s a good chance that he’ll wrestle in college, although he hasn’t made that decision yet.

“I’m thinking about UTC and maybe Appalachian State, North Carolina State or Virginia.  I just want to keep my options open at this time,†he added.

Another high school wrestling season is now in the books. There are always interesting stories along the way and Soddy Daisy’s Tucker Russo certainly is.

I’m just glad that I had a chance to be a small part.  He’s one of those guys I’ll remember for a long time and he’s the kind of person I can learn from.

And that’s what makes my job so rewarding.

(Email John Hunt at [email protected])

Pic

Soddy Daisy's Tucker Russo (right) scores another takedown as he battles back through the consolation bracket at the 2016 TSSAA State Wrestling Championships. Unbeaten and with two state titles to his credit, Russo was denied a third championship by an extremely unfair, unethical and very unpopular decision by the Smyrna coach. However, Russo showed his mettle and maturity in the way he handled himself in a very adverse situation. 

- Photo2 by Dennis Norwood/File

Luke, The Last Mullin, Great For Notre Dame Wrestling

Fighting Irish Senior Concludes Memorable Career With Third State Title

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - by John Hunt

Notre Dame's Luke Mullin found himself in this position, with his arm raised in victory, 160 times in his high school wrestling career. Mullin, part of a long line of "wrestling Mullins" for the Irish, recently claimed his third TSSAA state championship, going 43-1 this season.

Notre Dame's Luke Mullin found himself in this position, with his arm raised in victory, 160 times in his high school wrestling career. Mullin, part of a long line of "wrestling Mullins" for the Irish, recently claimed his third TSSAA state championship, going 43-1 this season.

- photo by Dennis Norwood/File

Notre Dame has been a major player in state wrestling circles for a long, long time and the Fighting Irish have captured more than their share of individual state titles.

The Mullin family has probably won more than anybody, starting with Chris who won titles at 138 in 1984 and at 145 in 1985 while earning Outstanding Wrestler both times.

Packy became another generation to excel and he graduated last year after winning two state titles as well.

And now comes along youngest brother Luke, who one-upped them all after capturing his third state title last weekend in Franklin.

It was a most positive way to wrap up his high school career as he was 43-1 this year while posting a career record of 160-12, which is a whopping 93 winning percentage.

Mullin’s only loss this season came in the finals at the Bradley Invitational when he lost to Father Ryan’s Trey Chalifoux, who also won his second state title and finished the season undefeated as the Purple Irish nipped Baylor for the D-II state title.

After breezing through the 126-pound bracket in the A-AA division, Luke posted a 9-4 decision over Logan Chase of Sullivan East to wrap up a sensational career for the Fighting Irish.

“He had to expect strong opposition as it’s wrestling, so he had to work for it and he had a great deal of joy when it was all over,†said Rocco Mansueto, who was Notre Dame’s head coach for the first time this season.

“Luke is a well-rounded kid who totally embodies the student/athlete role, but wrestling doesn’t totally consume him. It’s good to see a healthy balance in his life, but the wrestling mat is like a playground for him.

“He’s a perfectionist to a degree and he’s more concerned about his overall performance as it’s about the manner in which he competes. He really tries to score a lot of points and perform well.

“He knew he didn’t wrestle his best match against Chalifoux at Bradley, but he came back and finished on a strong note,†his coach added.

“That’s probably the most fun I’ve had in a long time,†Luke said between classes on Tuesday afternoon.

“The pressure was pretty high to win another state title, but I just focused on staying hungry and winning my next match. I looked at it as a nothing to lose and all to gain thing as bad things happen when I get nervous.

“I got taken down at the start of Saturday night’s match and I thought for a split second that I was experiencing my worst nightmare. I was on my heels for a second and he took advantage, but I knew it wouldn’t be an easy match.

“I got an escape and then a takedown before the first period ended and went on to win by a good margin, but it wasn’t an easy match. I experience a whirlwind of emotion and I had to stay positive, but this one was the best because it was a major goal for me all along,†Luke suggested.

As you might expect, the Mullins have a wrestling mat at home and it’s provided the scene for more than one highly-intense brotherly scraps.

“We used to wrestle a lot at home until he got too big and things got way too competitive. And he didn’t like it when I improved and started taking him down,†the younger brother laughed.

Luke has plans to continue his wrestling career in college, most likely at UTC, but he has also entertained thoughts of going to North Carolina and Oklahoma.

“I have a lot of friends at UTC and that’s where I’ll probably go.

“We live in Cleveland and I could have gone to school at either Bradley or Cleveland, but there was never a doubt that I’d end up at Notre Dame,†he said.

And what about his most memorable match?

“I guess it would have to be Chalifoux last year when I beat him 7-5. He beat me 5-2 this year, but I made some changes based on that match alone as it showed me that I wasn’t where I needed to be.

“Wrestling has been a great experience for me and I can’t believe it’s over, but it’s nice to end on a positive note as I’m happy with the final results. And I’ve made some great friends along the way as it’s more than just winning and losing.

“It’s about building relationships with other people. Ned Warwick has been my workout partner for the last three years and he’s become my best friend. There have been times when we’d almost be fighting with each other, but he pushed me to be better.

“And my dad made sure I worked hard while my mom was always there to offer emotional support. My dad kept telling me that wrestling isn’t everything, but that it’s just part of who I am. That took some of the pressure off, but it was a great season for me,†Luke added.

John Mullin is the older brother of Chris and the long-time coach for Notre Dame. He stepped aside this year when Mansueto took over, but he had the privilege of coaching three nephews who were all state champs at least once.

Grayson won the 145-pound title in 2012 before Packy won two and Luke three.

“What a great way for him to finish off his career here at Notre Dame,†said John, who is the Dean of Students and has been on the Notre Dame faculty for 31 years.

“I’ve been able to coach all my nephews and that’s been a true blessing and all the girls in our families have been involved as managers. After this year, there won’t be any more Mullins.

“Luke is a classy kid who has a lot of interests and that helps him stay grounded and motivated. A lot of kids get burned out on the sport by this point, but it’s still fresh for him and that’s a positive,†John added.

Luke is planning to take part in the High School Nationals the first week of April and he’s most likely to continue his wrestling career in college, but a big part of his career is over.

But what a great run he had.

Chances are good that wrestling will be a hot family topic for years to come as they all have wonderful memories to share.

And who’s to say who was the best Mullin on the mat, but Luke has one claim that none of the others can say.

He was a three-time state champion.

(email John Hunt at [email protected])

Foreman and Gossett had much to be proud of over in Sevier and Blount Co's...

http://www.themountainpress.com/sports/tiger-wrestlers-follow-dual-loss-by-claiming-second-straight-traditional/article_60e59eee-db41-11e5-a16d-8701188023da.html

Tiger wrestlers follow dual loss by claiming second straight traditional state title

By Wes Mayberry 

5 hrs ago  (…)

PIGEON FORGE— The disappointment of the loss to Red Bank in the state dual championship earlier this year was evident in the demeanor of the Pigeon Forge wrestlers in the immediate aftermath of the match. Long faces, hanging heads and tears filled the area where the Tigers had gathered on the floor of the Williamson County Expo Center in Franklin. But the sport of wrestling is unique in that it affords teams two opportunities at a state title, and Pigeon Forge returned to the same venue Feb. 18-20 especially hungry to come out on top. And not only did they come out on top, winning by a margin of 18.5 points over second-place Alcoa in A-AA, they boasted a school-record nine individual state placers and three state champs in the process to end the year on an extremely high note with a second consecutive TSSAA traditional state championship.

"This was a great redemption. It was a great way to finish out the season after things didn't quite go our way in the dual championship," PF head coach Greg Foreman said. "This was a great way for the seniors to end the season and their careers. It was a great relief and a great redemption to see them accomplish this at the end in winning the traditional state title."

Outstanding Press, Graphics and Pics in such a rural area, Marshall Co....

Congrats to Forrest...

http://www.marshalltribune.com/story/2280336.html

Rockets place 3 in state

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

By Anthony S. Puca Sports Editor

Pic

Forrest's Dylan Pendley comes out for the walk of champions prior to his title bout at the 2016 TSSAA State Wrestling Tournament at the Williamson County Ag Center Saturday. Photos by Anthony S. Puca

[Order this photo]

The Forrest Rockets sent a record six wrestlers to the 2016 Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association State Wrestling Championships at the Williamson County Ag Center in Franklin and half of the Chapel Hill participants earned medalist spots at Saturday's final day of competition.

"Three medalists this year and that is the most we have ever had," Forrest coach Kyle Stacey said. "Just an outstanding job this year by all the wresters and all the coaches, we are proud to have every one of them."

PENDLEY

Sophomore Dylan Pendley led the way, making his third consecutive trip to the event and bettering his fourth-place finish last year with a second place spot on the podium.

Pendley (113-pounds) opened up with a first-round 14-5 major decision win over Knoxville Grace's Tanner Thornton and followed that with a pin over Jacob Newman from Hixson, sending the Forrest standout to the semifinal round.

Pendley took on junior Scott Weaver from Boyd Buchanan and the Region 3A/AA champion continued his domination with a 14-5 major decision victory over the Buccaneer grappler.

Title match

Red Bank junior William Reichel, also a returning state medalist, would be the only wrestler standing in Pendley's way of a state title and the lanky Lion grappler from Chattanooga got the best of Pendley in the championship bout.

"That boy was good, he comes from a great wrestling program at Red Bank that won the state duals," Stacey said. "Dylan wrestled hard and left it all on that mat."

After a scoreless first period, Reichel went up 6-0 in the second period and won going away in an 11-0 major decision win over his Forrest Rocket opponent, who put up an outstanding 42-4 overall record for the season, including first-place finishes in the Creek Wood and Mountain Top tournaments.

"Dylan had a great year with great effort and he has nothing to be ashamed of at all," Stacey said. "Dylan did everything he could do fighting him off, sometimes those legs are hard to defend. I'm positive Dylan will remember this and work hard to get better and come back here next year and win."

Pic

Jeffery Gross goes on the attack versus Isaac Tate from Signal Mountain in the semifinals.

[Order this photo]

GROSS

Forrest Freshman Jeffery Gross (106) won the Region 3A/AA title and had a bye in the first round before coming up with his initial state tournament victory via a dominating 10-2 major decision win over Rylie Hart from Hixson.

The road to the title got much tougher for the Forrest grappler as he would face junior Dymond Smith from Pigeon Forge in the semifinals where the eventual state champion Smith won a hard-fought 8-4 decision.

"Jeff had a tough night Friday night and came back and fought hard today," Stacey said. "He is instrumental to our wrestling program, he works hard in the classroom, outside the classroom and we are just blessed to have him."

Great effort

Gross, who was guaranteed a medalist spot with his semifinal appearance took on Isaac Tate from Signal Mountain in the next round and the Chapel Hill wrestler took a 4-1 lead into the third period before putting away Tate 8-4.

Gross would wrestle for the third-place spot on the podium versus fellow freshman Jeremy Holloway from Notre Dame and the match was a classic battle that ended in a 0-0 tie after regulation.

Holloway would get a takedown in overtime, winning 2-0 in the title bout.

"I felt like he was working to do whatever he could do to get him," Stacey said. "I don't think he got much help from the ref---I thought there was a stalling call after the other kid got a warning."

Gross ended up with a stellar 40-3 record, including second place invitational tournament finishes at Harpeth and Creek Wood and first place at the Mountain Top Classic.

"Jeff makes everybody better and he has a bright, bright future ahead of him," Stacey stated.

Pic

Nikolas McGuiggan (right) and Toby Lynch lock horns in the consolation semifinals.

[Order this photo]

McGUIGGAN

The final Forrest wrestler to medal was senior Nikolas McGuiggan, who came into the state tournament as the Region 3A/AA champion at 220-pounds.

After a first-round bye, McGuiggan got off to a rough start when he was pinned by the eventual runner-up Grant Brace from Alcoa.

McGuiggan stormed back with a vengeance, winning back-to-back bouts to stay alive for a medalist position.

McGuiggan pinned sophomore Dylan Stinnett from Pigeon Forge in the second period to clinch one of the top six spots and next up for McGuiggan was Toby Lynch from Greenbrier as the two Region 3A/AA grapplers would be in for the region title tilt re-match which McGuiggan had one won the week prior at Montgomery Central.

Fighting back

"Nik had a tough day on Friday, but came back last night and was totally different wrestler that fought his way back," Stacey said. "What an accomplishment for Nik, he had a good tournament."

After a scoreless first period, Lynch took a 1-0 lead on an escape and during the next several seconds, McGuiggan suffered a head injury and the bout was momentarily halted.

McGuiggan wanted to continue, but was not the same wrestler, losing 3-1 to Lynch.

It was determined by the medical staff on sight that McGuiggan (27-3) had suffered a concussion during the match and would not continue, ending up in a forfeit to returning state medalist Will Watkins from Boyd Buchanan in the fifth place match.

"Unfortunately that is not the way anyone wants to end their career, but the health of the kid is the top priority," Stacey said.

Pic

Forrest freshman Wesley McCoy went 2-2 at the TSSA State Wrestling Tournament, but could not advance to the medal round.

[Order this photo]

McCOY

Freshman Seth McCoy also came in as the Region 3A/AA champion in the 160-pound weight class and got a pin over Jackson Hash from Red Bank in the first round, before suffering a fall versus Millington's Sean Srock in round two.

McCoy (45-6) bounced back with an 8-6 overtime victory over Trey Tanner from CAK before the Rocket grappler was eliminated from medal competition when he suffered a 10-3 loss to Eagleville senior Drew Gill.

McCoy won first place at Creek Wood and second place at the Mountain Top.

Pic

Clay Watson finished his senior season with the Rockets with a 33-17 record.

[Order this photo]

WATSON, CLANTON

Senior Clay Watson and junior Billy Clanton both lost back-to-back matches and did not advance.

Watson finished the season with a 33-17 record and first place medals at Harpeth and Creek Wood, plus a second spot at the Mountain Top, while Clanton ended up 35-8 with first place at Harpeth and third place on the mountain.

Pic

Billy Clanton, who ended his season with a stellar 35-6 record, shows the agony of defeat after being eliminated.

[Order this photo]

Great kid from a great family...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/2/25/318791/Baylor-s-Ryan-Parker-The-Best-Just.aspx

Baylor's Ryan Parker: The Best Just Keeps Getting Better

Outstanding Wrestler Just Won His Fourth State Title On The Mat

Thursday, February 25, 2016 - by John Hunt

Parker (with ball), shown in Baylor's 2015 season opener against Rhea County, was the leading rusher for the Red Raiders this past season.

- photo by Dennis Norwood/File

Pics

It’s probably a pretty safe bet to say that Ryan Parker will graduate from Baylor later in the spring as the most decorated male athlete in the history of Red Raider athletics.

He’s basically done it all and has done so with incredible success and reward.

Parker is the 18-year-old son of Bill and Samantha Parker and the oldest of three children, the others being Kyle, an eighth grader at St.

Jude, and Catherine, who is a sophomore at Baylor.

Just last fall, Ryan earned All-State honors for the Baylor football team and was named Player of the Year for Division II after taking the Defensive Player of the Year as a junior. 

He was the leading tackler for Baylor’s defense and the leading rusher for the offense, so he didn’t get many plays off.  He also won the Mr. Football award for linemen and will headed to West Point to play football for the Army.

Just last Saturday, Parker capped off a spectacular prep wrestling career as he won his fourth straight state title, capping off an unbeaten season at 51-0 with a second period pin of McCallie’s Trel Phillips in the final.

And once wrestling is over, he’ll turn his attention to track where he hopes to repeat as the D-II state discus champion. He also has his focus on the school record of 170 feet, which was set by John Hannah in the late 60s.

Right now, he’s still thinking about wrestling as he left on Thursday with four of his senior teammates as they headed for the Prep National Championships, which are always held at Lehigh, Pa.

Michael Murphy, Mason Reiniche, Caleb Powell and Khamari Whimper are the other four who will be competing with some of the best wrestlers in the nation where Parker hopes to improve on last year’s third-place finish.

It’s been an incredible journey since Parker first stepped onto the Baylor campus as a sixth grader seven years ago.

“What Ryan has done at Baylor allows him to carry on as a high-profile athlete.  He has an uncle who is a two-star general in the Army, so he knows what he’s getting into,†said Ben Nelson, who has been the head wrestling coach for the past eight years.

“It’s been a fun process watching him grow up as he’s matured into a fine young man.  I’ve been coaching wrestling for a long time, but I’ve never had a state champ who was also undefeated.  We go to a lot of outstanding tournaments out of state to prepare us for the toughest competition around and for him to be unbeaten through all of that is a real accomplishment.â€

Nelson is a fine wrestler in his own right and has been working out with Parker in recent days as they get ready for the biggest tournament of the season.

“I’ve worked out with him for the past two days and I’m really sore, but he’s a tremendous physical specimen and he just likes to compete.  We didn’t work out much during the season. 

“Ryan is really strong and powerful and that’s a real advantage for someone his size.  He’s athletic enough to recover and get out of tough situations, but he’s well-suited for this sport,†Nelson continued.

And what about the toughest match he had this year?

“He had to go overtime to beat a kid from Oklahoma in the semifinals of the Kansas City Stampede the weekend before Christmas, but even in tight spots like that, he still expects to come out on top,†the coach remembered.

“The kid at Kansas City was tall and lanky and he did a good job of keeping me off his legs.  I ended up winning the match, but it was nice to know that I could go hard at least six minutes,†Parker recalled.

While Parker has won all of his matches this year and most of them by pin, he’s also turned into a teacher in addition to being a student of the sport.

Tyree Tolliver is a junior who played football with Parker.  He decided to come out for wrestling for the first time ever and Parker got a chance to share part of what he’s learned along the way.

“Ryan took Tyree under his wings as Tyree had never been on a wrestling mat before the middle of December, but Ryan did a great job mentoring him.  They had played football together, so Tyree already had respect for him as an athlete,†Nelson said with a note of pride.

“Winning my first state title was my favorite as it made me feel like all the hard work was totally worth it, but my goal since then has been to become the most successful upper weight champion at Baylor,†said Parker before Wednesday’s workout began.

Parker’s high school record currently stands at 182 wins and just 11 losses.  He lost six times as a freshman and five times as a sophomore.  He got beat once last year and hasn’t lost any this time around.

“I had a rough time my first year as I lost six times that season, but what a better way to end my year by pinning my cross-town rival for my fourth state title.

“I’m really hoping to prove myself this weekend as both the first and second-ranked kids in my weight class will be competing. Right now, I’m ranked 18th, so that will be a huge challenge for me,†Parker said matter of factly.

It will be time for graduation sooner than later and Ryan Parker’s seven years at Baylor will be over.  So what does he think about his Baylor experience?

“It seems like I’ve been here forever.  I’m not a big fan of going to school, but going to Baylor has changed my mind.  And I’m pretty sure that my kids will all go to Baylor, no matter where I’m living,†he said.

And what about the workouts he’s had with coach Nelson?

“We didn’t do it much during the regular season, but it’s been an awesome experience for me as I can barely hold him down. I can take him down, but there’s no way I can put him on his back,†Parker concluded with a laugh.

Ryan Parker is one of those once-in-a-lifetime dreams that most coaches can only hope to come across.  He’s the best at everything he does and he’s helped Baylor be a whole lot better as well in the process.

(email John Hunt at [email protected])

Great No GA Press Coverage with Dream Team...

http://m.northwestgeorgianews.com/prep_central/high_school/schools/gordon_lee/wrestling-walker-county-wrestler-of-the-year---chris/article_5d89b212-df10-11e5-a03f-5f194d93a710.html?mode=jqm

WRESTLING: Walker County Wrestler of the Year - Chris Henderson - Gordon Lee - Northwest Georgia News

back Side Panel 

WRESTLING: Walker County Wrestler of the Year - Chris Henderson

1 image

Scott Herpst | Posted Yesterday

It was three years ago when Ridgeland head coach Keith Mariakis got his first look at a incoming freshman named Chris Henderson, and right away, Mariakis saw raw talent and potential.

Henderson began to immediately show that potential as he placed fifth in the state at heavyweight before following up with a state runner-up finish at 220 pounds as a sophomore.

One year later, Henderson finally reached that potential as he stood atop the podium in Duluth on Feb. 13 as Ridgeland’s first individual state champion in more than 15 years. And today, Henderson rises to the top once more as he is named the 2015-2016 Walker County Wrestler of the Year.

“It feels good,†Henderson said of the honor. “It feels like another opportunity to come back next year and work toward it again.â€

The junior had an outstanding year on the mat, finishing with a 52-6 overall record. He won the area and sectionals tournaments before beating Upson-Lee’s Lazavier Moore, 5-3, in the state finals.

He also finished a close second at tough tournaments in Kingsport (Tenn.) and Smith Station (Ala.), went a perfect 9-0 at the Deep South Bayou Duals in Baton Rouge (La.) and captured an individual title at the prestigious McCallie Invitational.

Mariakis said it was at McCallie when Henderson finally took it to the next level.

“Last year, and in the first part of this year, he was being aggressive on his feet, using a lot of set-ups and different things that he knew to get into (tournament) finals,†the coach explained. “But once he got in the finals, he kind of just shut it down and played cautious. Usually, when you get to the finals, that’s when you want to be even more explosive and you do what got you there.

“It finally clicked at McCallie. He had a great finals match by just doing the little things he was supposed to do. It just carried over to the rest of the year and he won some big matches against some really good kids.â€

Henderson began wrestling as a sixth grader and even won an NGAC title at Rossville Middle School. But he said it wasn’t until he met Mariakis that he really began to gravitate toward the sport.

“I wasn’t taking it seriously until Coach came down here and started showing me some stuff,†he said. “I loved learning all the moves and driving people off the mat. I just kind of fell in love with it.â€

But despite all the success he had during his first two seasons as a high school wrestler, Henderson said knew he had to elevate his game even more if he was to become a champion.

“I needed to get better on top,†he stated with a chuckle. “I was terrible (on top). My best (top) move was to let my opponent up.â€

“Over the summer, (assistant coach) Josh (Mariakis) and I had been talking about how Chris had to be more than just one-dimensional on his feet. He’s quick and explosive and strong so it’s hard for anyone to keep him down, but he had no top game.

“But before we could even talk to him about it, he came to us and said he wanted to get better on top. He really killed himself this summer working on a (top) series that he liked and one that fit him. Every day in practice, he did the same series over and over again and now he’s really tough with it.â€

Henderson said he’s also learned that wrestling is much more than wins, losses and championships.

“As the years have gone on, I’ve realized that winning and losing isn’t everything,†he explained. “It’s really about giving God all the glory and doing everything for Him. Once I realized that, I started using my full potential. That’s when I really got serious with (wrestling) and start focusing on the sport.

“One of my goals for next year is to win state again, but the main goal is to give God all the glory, no matter what happens.â€

A two-sport standout, Henderson is part of a two-headed monster in the backfield for the Panther football team and is primed for another big season on the gridiron.

And while playing both sports in college is something he’s interested in, he says making a choice between the sports is something he could handle if it comes down to it.

“If I had the chance to do both, I would,†he added. “But if I had to choose just one, it would be wrestling. I just love it. Point blank, it’s everything.â€

THE REST OF THE WALKER COUNTY WRESTLING DREAM TEAM

Hunter Freeman (Gordon Lee) The tough-as-nails senior went 31-20 at 160 pounds for the Trojans, placing second at the area tournament and fourth at sectionals to qualify for the state tournament.

Jordan Hughley (Ridgeland) One of the Panthers' crop of outstanding freshmen, the 126-pounder placed third at area and fifth at sectionals to qualify for state, finishing the year at 32-17 overall.

Cole Ingram (LaFayette) The junior bounced back from a somewhat disappointing finish to his sophomore year by going 36-9 at 160 pounds, winning area and sectional titles before placing second at state to an undefeated wrestler.

Braden Jarvis (Gordon Lee) The 152-pound sophomore won area and sectional championships for the Trojans before losing a very close 3-1 decision in the state finals to finish with a 50-6 overall record on the year.

Jacob Mariakis (Ridgeland) Big things were expected and the 132-pound freshman delivered with a 60-5 mark, a win at McCallie and runner-up finishes at area, sectionals and state. All three losses came against the defending state champion.

Ryan McGill (Ridgeland) After a solid freshman campaign, McGill continued to improve as his sophomore year went on, finishing with a 21-14 record, an area title, a runner-up finish at sectionals and a trip to state.

Zach Murdock (Gordon Lee) The junior was a mainstay in the Trojans' lineup, going 49-9 and finishing second at area and third at both sectionals and state. His lone loss at state came to the eventual state champion.

Chris Prescott (Ridgeland) The freshman went 30-10 at 113 pounds for the Panthers and captured an area championship. He won his first bout at sectionals before suffering an arm injury that cost him the remainder of the season and a likely podium spot at state.

Honorable Mention: Jasper Wilson, Avery Geer, Caiden Scroggins, Jarrett Lassetter, Morgan Lathem (Gordon Lee); Mason Smith, Wes Storey, Cody Deal (LaFayette); Jake Clayton, Austin Coppinger (Ridgeland).

The Walker County Wrestling Dream Team is selected by Sports Editor Scott Herpst and based on performances throughout the season. Text and photo by Scott Herpst.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/columns/story/2016/mar/04/greeson-calling-help-looking-you-tssaa-red-ba/353379/

Pic

Greeson: Calling for help (looking at you, TSSAA) for Red Bank wrestlers

March 4th, 2016by Jay Greesonin Sports - ColumnsRead Time: 3 mins.

Pic

Red Bank's Jonah Bird, top, wrestles Hixson's Konner Zeigler during a January match at Hixson. Red Bank won the Class A/AA state duals title this season, but the Lions don't have funds to purchase commemorative championship rings.

Photo by Doug Strickland /Times Free Press... man, Doug you've been working for these guys a long time!!!! Changes!!!! The Soms,,,,, been 26 years since Joe Waddell and I worked together and you took out ad shots, cars for Joe and etc for me.

Pic

Red Bank's Cody Slatton, left, wrestles Hixson's Jonas Shackleford during a January match in Red Bank. The Lions are trying to raise funds to purchase rings honoring the Class A/AA state duals title they won this season.

Photo by Doug Strickland /Times Free Press.

For almost all of the athletes you have ever heard of, their first big goal is to win a state championship.

For guys like Peyton Manning, LeBron James and Derek Jeter, playing high school sports with the teammates they grew up with is a special and irreplaceable moment in time. That's true whether an athletic career arc swerves to the Hall of Fame or slowpitch softball.

And winning a state championship is the pinnacle for everyone who played on the prep level. If you need proof, ask someone who played high school sports how cool it would have been. If you need more proof, ask someone who has won a high school state championship how cool it was, then try to get them to stop talking. It's a moment that is shared with teammates and coaches and communities. It's a memory commemorated by signs and signatures, a time that lives forever.

With that baseline, meet the Red Bank High School wrestling team. Earlier this winter, the Lions roared through the TSSAA's Class A/AA state duals. It's the ultimate team crown in arguably the ultimate individual-based team sport. Red Bank worked its way to the title with grit and graciousness. The Lions were the best when they had to be.

That they delivered their best performance on their biggest stage is a testament to wrestlers, coaches and the will of all involved.

Now, with those championship memories fresh in their minds, the Red Bank athletic program faces a dire situation.

There are not enough funds to buy commemorative state championship rings for the wrestling team. Let's go to a poignant message from Red Bank wrestler Devon Suddeth, who sent an email our way.

"Almost six weeks ago our wrestling team won the 2016 A-AA state duals tournament," he wrote. "This great achievement was accomplished because of the blood, sweat, tears and sacrifice this team has paid to the program, myself included. We need a donation of any amount to the Red Bank wrestling program, in order for the members of my outstanding team to receive state championship rings that we have all surely earned. I know this is a long shot, but we need help. Our funds were exhausted by sending us to the state tournament, and we are running on reserve."

Suddeth is assuredly not begging. Far from it, in fact. He's merely voicing the dire circumstances facing all high school sports programs, from the ultra-successful state champion to the run-of-the-middle team just trying to compete.

If you are interested in helping the Red Bank cause, you can contact assistant principals Elaine Harper or Rashaad Williams at 423-874-1900. Certainly every school is counting every penny, especially when it comes to extracurricular activities. In truth, the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association, a group that charges one of the highest percentages of gate receipts of any state association in the country, should look at providing state championship rings for all of its winners.

(The TSSAA is quick to demand its cut from every postseason gate or holiday tournament — amounts that range from 18 to 50 percent, depending on the event — and is flush with funds far beyond the "catastrophic insurance" rationale it uses to justify its lofty fees.)

That should happen sooner than later, but knowing the TSSAA, don't hold your breath.

In the interim, the Red Bank wrestling champions are left hoping their memories will be remembered by more than memories. It's a tough spot for sure, because asking the community to pick up another tab for another school endeavor seems like a different verse with the same chorus that ends with "Where will it stop?"

But in a time when we know far too much about the money about to be spent on a December basketball tournament involving another public school in Hamilton County, it seems tragic the Lions' success can't be rewarded or supported.

By everyone — especially the TSSAA.

Contact Jay Greeson at [email protected].

Heck... Look how closely matched these kids were against a to tier AAA program...

Event: Red Bank

Vandergriff Duals

Date: 11/29/2014

Soddy Won 41-36

Matches

106: Landon Wheaton WPin 2:00 vs. Richael (Red Bank)

113: Justin Taylor WPin :30 vs. Gee (Red Bank)

120: Slater Daniel LPin :54 vs. Trent comeaux (Red Bank)

126: Chase Payne LDec 14-11 vs. Byrd (Red Bank)

132: Jake McClure WPin 1:30 vs. Ball (Red Bank)

138: Austin Houser WFft vs. Forfeit (Red Bank)

145: Emory Holcomb WFft vs. Forfeit (Red Bank)

152: Forfeit to Johnson (Red Bank)

160: Cade Ghaffari LPin 5:40 vs. McDuffy (Red Bank)

170: Tucker Russo Draw vs. Unknown (Red Bank)

182: Austin Williamson WTec 16-0 vs. Robert Perry (Red Bank)

195: Hunter Maynor LDec 5-4 vs. Grawl (Red Bank)

220: Elijah Cartwright LPin 1:27 vs. Jackson (Red Bank)

285: Dylan Aslinger LPin :34 vs. Ottinger (Red Bank)

Edited by Sommers

• 4 weeks later...

East Tn getting behind their wrestling...

http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/high-school/prepxtra-wrestling-team-bios-2f0e55da-b899-12a7-e053-0100007f029f-373789521.html?d=mobile

PrepXtra wrestling team bios

Pics

Kyle Burns

Image credit: Saul Young

Yesterday 9:31 p.m.

First team

106 pounds

Dymond Smith, Pigeon Forge, junior: Battled back from Region 1-A/AA loss to win state via a 3-0 decision in finals over Elijah Hicks of Sullivan East.

113 pounds

Calvin Martin, William Blount, sophomore: Region 3-AAA champion finished as a state runner-up after placing sixth as a freshman.

120 pounds

Kyle Burns, Bearden, sophomore: Improved as season progressed to finish as a Class AAA state runner-up.

126 pounds

Juan Hernandez, Heritage, senior: Region 3-AAA champion and PrepXtra Wreslter of the Year became Heritage's first wrestling state champion with a 6-3 decision in Class AAA finals.

132 pounds

Ryan Verhulst, Alcoa, senior: Region 1-A/AA champion won the Class A/AA state title with a 4-2 decision in finals. Finished sixth as a junior in 2015.

138 pounds

Matthew Kieta, Pigeon Forge, senior: Earned 'Best Wrestler' billing in Class A/AA after securing a pin in 1 mintue, 4 seconds in the state finals. Won state title in 132 as a junior.

145 pounds

Michael Diemer, Heritage, senior: Region 3-AAA champion finished as Class AAA runner-up after finishing third in the state in 2015.

152 pounds

Josh Vance, Greeneville, senior: Region 1-A/AA champion finished as Class A/AA state runner-up after dropping an 11-4 decision in the finals.

160 pounds

Colton McMahan, Halls, junior: Won Region 2-AAA title and finished fourth in state in Class AAA for the second straight year.

170 pounds

Karim Shereef, Alcoa, senior: Region 1-A/AA champion won third straight Class A/AA state title with an 8-5 victory over Phillip Nichols of Christian Academy of Knoxville in finals.

182 pounds

Josh Booker, Jefferson County, senior: Region 1-AAA champion finished second in state for his Class AAA weight division.

195 pounds

Anthony Baiamonte, Pigeon Forge, junior: Overcame Region 1-A/AA loss for third-place state finish in his Class A-AA weight division.

220 pounds

Nick Foster, Greeneville, junior: Region 1-A/AA champion won a state title in Class A/AA with 15-13 victory over Grant Brace of Alcoa.

285 pounds

Samson Evans, Alcoa, junior: Region 1-A/AA champion won a state title in Class A/AA for the third straight year after securing a pin in just 1:02 in his final match.

girls

Kenya-Lee Sloan, Hardin Valley, sophomore: Won second consecutive state title in the 165-pound weight class with a pin in 3:30.

ADVERTISEMENT

Second team

106 — Carter Coughlin, Webb

113 — Tolliver Justice, Halls

120 — Jacob Ruiter, Pigeon Forge

126 — Elias Bond, Pigeon Forge

132 — Bryson Hux, Greeneville

138 — Ian McNitt, Hardin Valley

145 — Angel Leyva, Gibbs

152 — Gary Reagan, Pigeon Forge

160 — Austyn Renshaw, Alcoa

170 — Tate Holmes, Anderson County

182 — Hunter Fortner, Gibbs

195 — Noah Evans, Alcoa

220 — Grant Brace, Alcoa

285 — Logan Townsend, Jefferson County

Girls — Krista Legagneur, Bearden, 130-pound class

All-KIL

106 — Carter Coughlin, Webb

113 — Tolliver Justice, Halls,

120 — Kyle Burns, Bearden

126 — Chris Nielsen, Halls

132 — Matthew Maxwell, Gibbs

138 — Ian McNitt, Hardin Valley

145 — Angel Leyva, Gibbs

152 — Sirrel Robinson, Halls

160 — Colton McMahan, Halls

170 — Max Grayson, Bearden

182 — Hunter Fortner, Gibbs

195 — Jacob Gerken, Bearden

220 — Charles "Chap" Chappell, Hardin Valley

285 — Jonathan Davis, Gibbs

Girls — Kenya-Lee Sloan, Hardin Valley, 165-pound class

Op growing for women up in tri-cities...

http://m.hanfordsentinel.com/kingsburg_recorder/sports/doi-twins-set-for-olympic-trials/article_c9bc4e10-ac7b-54eb-a03c-ff778454906c.html

Trials

Tomas Kassahun Staff Reporter 

6 hrs ago  0

Pic

Marina and Regina Doi celebrate with their teammates after winning the 2016 WCWA Women's Wrestling title. 

Pic

Marina Doi is ranked No. 9 in the country. She was a WCWA champion in 2016 and was second in 2015. 

Pic

Regina Doi is going to the Olympic Trials after finishing sixth at the Nationals in Las Vegas. 

With the Olympic Trials set to begin on April 9 at Hawkeye Arena in Iowa, former Kingsburg wrestlers Regina and Marina Doi are busier than ever.

The twins, who have already racked up numerous accolades in two years at King University, have their eyes set on joining the USA wrestling team in Rio this summer.

Currently weighing about 95 pounds, the girls are hoping to qualify for the 105-pound division at the Olympics. 

"That is the lightest weight class in the Olympics, so we're giving up quite a bit of weight. We're quite a bit underweight right now," Marina Doi said. 

At the Olympic Trials this year, the 105-pound weight class will include several wrestlers who have won world championships and Olympic medals. Alyssa Lampe, currently ranked No. 1 in the U.S., has two bronze medals as a member of the U.S. World Team. No. 2-ranked Clarissa Chun won an Olympic bronze medal in 2012, and she was a World champion in 2008. No. 3-ranked Victoria Anthony was the 2015 U.S. Open champion. Marina Doi is ranked No. 9 in the country. 

"The top three are definitely the favorites," Marina Doi said. "We have a couple of classmates as well that are in the same weight class. Actually, our past assistant coach, Nicole Woody, is competing in the same weight class too, so that will be interesting." 

Nicole Woody helped guide King University to its first WCWA national championship and NWCA National Duals championships in 2014. Since then, the twins have continued the success of wrestling at King University. Marina was a WCWA champion in 2016 and was second in 2015, while Regina was fifth in 2016 and eighth in 2015. At the nationals in Las Vegas, Marina was fifth and Regina, sixth.

"I'm feeling pretty good. I just wish I was a little bit bigger," Regina Doi said. "It's going to be a big arena, the biggest tournament we've ever competed in. It's going to be an eye opener. I just have to block everything out and focus on what's in front of me." 

While the girls focus on the upcoming Olympic Trials, the community of Kingsburg is right behind them.

"We have a lot of friends and family who are rooting for us," Regina Doi said. "Everyone has seen us grow up with the sport of wrestling and they're like 'I remember when you were younger. I've seen you grow up with the sport.'"

In the midst of their Olympic dreams and their wrestling success at King University, the twins have maintained a 4.0 GPA. 

"I want go into the medical field and go into radiology," Regina Doi said. "We have some tough classes, but we're balancing that out with wrestling. It's hard when we miss classes because of wrestling, but we're able to catch up."

For the twins' success on and off the mat, the key is time management.

"We're being smart about when to go see friends and when to stay back and study," Regina Doi said. "Then when need to go for practice, we will. We just plan out our time."  

The twins' success has not only led to accolades, but also recognition on campus.

"People know that our team has won nationals for three years in a row now. Word goes around campus, so it's pretty good to have that," Regina Doi said.

If all goes well on April 9, Kingsburg's dynamic duo can receive recognition on an even bigger level.

"I'm nervous, but even if I don't make the team, just being in the arena is going to be a good experience in itself," Marina Doi said. "A lot of people don't get to go out there and even have a chance to qualify. Being able to compete on the same mat as these athletes is an honor in itself."

"Before, we were just talking about trying to go to the Olympics," Regina Doi said. "Now we actually get to compete in the trials, so it's one more big step that we have in our long journey ahead of us." 

• 4 months later...

18 year old vs 30 year old. Our future Great one, Maryland HS standout - Kyle Snyder with no college yet, facing freestyle royalty in Gatsalov, who has five (!) World Championships and an Olympic Gold Medal to his credit. Go

97 KG - Kyle Snyder (USA) vs. Khadjimurat Gatsalo…: http://youtu.be/VQ3l8MEfjDU

Could we have another Cael here?

No Brainer even back in 2013-14!!