Transfers at State Championshiips

granddadone

With the onslaught of recruiting on the high school level in girls basketball, it would be interesting to know how many transfers each team has on their rosters.   Of course, the granddaddy of transfers is Riverdale which had at least 5 on its roster this year but didn't even make the state tourney (Karma).   I know Blackman has at least one stolen from Mt. Juliet. Jefferson County had zero and Morristown West had zero. Maybe some of you can help me with the transfer situation at the 5 other AAA schools.  Also would be interested to know how many AAA schools that have won state championships in the last ten years did so with players recruited from other schools. I bet there aren't many.      Maybe if the TSSAA was half as interested in policing this transfer mess as they are in making sure no one brings a cup of coffee into the Murphy Center, we could finally level the playing field and have some degree of fairness in high school basketball. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some transfers are probably living with their 3rd cousin on their step mom's side of the family. It apparently doesn't matter to the TSSAA.   All the TSSAA has to do is check the addresses parents list on their Tax Returns and simply require all transfers to sit out a year unless they physically moved from another state or county and are not living even part-time in their previous abode. 

I don't think it is necessarily fair to lump all schools with transfers in together.  There are plenty of legitimate reasons to transfer, and if someone wants to pack up and move because they want their daughter to play for a certain program, that's OK.  Brentwood gets a good transfer once a year, but I have never heard anyone accuse them of breaking the rules.

My issue comes more when kids are actively sought out by schools either through a "booster" or through the high school coach working the summer basketball scene and/or personal trainer scene.  There are plenty of coaches that take advantage of that.

Another problem I have is in certain larger communities where kids can pick their school.  For years in Metro, Hillsboro was open zoned while other schools weren't.  This created an unfair advantage and some really great football teams and a state championship in girls basketball.

This has always been an issue and always will be.  I don't even get upset any more.

Good points, but the transfer fever will continue at some schools until the TSSAA gets a backbone!! Every coach or administrator who encourages a child to transfer should be fired. Way too many young women spend years working their butts off for a school only to have someone walk in from out of town and put them on the bench. I would really like to know if any school without transfers has won a state championship in the last several years.

there really isnt a way to police this. You can't tell someone they can't move. You also can't prove that they were recruited.

Who is to say Suzy was recruited by someone in or affiliated with the program, but Jessica's mom and dad were tired of living in an apartment and decided to buy a house

Every big school does it.  Football, basketball, baseball, and softball.  There are people out there that will go to great depths to get a potential star to play for a certain school.  The head coaches know who these people are and in many cases encourage it, but most definately do not discourage it.  Heck, they either win or they pack their bags to a coach who will.  Hard to judge that.

Some good and valid points.  However, there are many cases that are quite obvious like if a girl plays AAU and her coach just happens to also coach a high school team in another town and she magically transfers to that school. Or when a girl transfers 3 or 4 times in 4 years. Or when one parent rents a cheap apartment in one town while the rest of his family stays in their home in another town.   The TSSAA seems to have no interest in pursueing these abuses. The least they could do is set a precedent by at least once punishing a coach or a school

With the onslaught of recruiting on the high school level in girls basketball, it would be interesting to know how many transfers each team has on their rosters.   Of course, the granddaddy of transfers is Riverdale which had at least 5 on its roster this year but didn't even make the state tourney (Karma).   I know Blackman has at least one stolen from Mt. Juliet. Jefferson County had zero and Morristown West had zero. Maybe some of you can help me with the transfer situation at the 5 other AAA schools.  Also would be interested to know how many AAA schools that have won state championships in the last ten years did so with players recruited from other schools. I bet there aren't many.      Maybe if the TSSAA was half as interested in policing this transfer mess as they are in making sure no one brings a cup of coffee into the Murphy Center, we could finally level the playing field and have some degree of fairness in high school basketball. 

(Karma)? = Injuries