Transfers at State Championshiips

granddadone

Why is this question being brought up now I thought this was done for the season being that this was discussed thoroughly at the beginning of the season there are transfers all over the state some we know about some we don't it just depends on how well the school is doing that goes for public and private schools and if kids can transfer following the TSSAA rules there's really nothing that can be done about it and I assure you we will revisit this subject again next season because kids are gonna transfer where they think they can succeed the best and I said before I do understand both sides when it comes to home grown kids having to take a back seat to transfers or kids leaving a school they have grown up at it's been happening for years Shelbyville was probably the most extreme case but now its more widespread across the state I still don't understand the rules of the Memphis schools because the powerhouses there seem to switch alot with top teams ending up on the bottom in a matter of a few years its alot to try and make sense from it all.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rutherford Co. schools seem do the most recruiting now. Shelbyville will never be able to compete with them again because they don't have to leave Rutherford Co. to get seen by colleges. AAU still the means for all these transfers. As much as privates recruit, it goes on just as much with publics.

Indian, I have watched you're posts for a few years and have a lot of respect for them. You bring up a lot of good points, but..... I don't think most disgruntled parents would cause a big stink if they knew their child would be benched or kicked off the team if they are still playing and their parents were bringing this up. It could cost them the opportunity to play in college on someone else's dime.

I will say that at least one team in the state tournament was playing with 5 players on the roster that were not zoned for their school for their incoming freshman year. The key is that they are all legal transfers per the TSSAA rules.

The parents thing was part of my point, I think I mentioned that elsewhere. Not only risking playing time but problems with classmates, say if a state title type team was banned from the postseason. The problem is not transfers as much as the process of how they switch and if rules are followed. Again that might be impossible to determine in some cases but in others would seem to be obvious.

Sounds more like sour grapes...Meaning someone must have transferred in and took your hard working daughters place, which put her on the bench. Coaches are going to play the best players, unfortunately sometimes working hard still just isnt enough.

Sorry, but we don't have a daughter.   We just love basketball at all levels and hate to see some schools and administrations covertly recruit while the TSSAA counts its money.   

I wish they'd have 1 employee strictly there to verify transfers and investigate claims of wrongdoing. If programs were found and proven to be clean there would be a lot less resentment. One of the big ? That would need to be asked is "did anyone talk to you first or did you (parents) go to the school first". Even if the parent starts a conversation the coach is supposed to direct them to admissions.

Edited by Indian

Rutherford County students must go where they are zoned, as do Hamilton County. Bradley County is an open zone and students can choose where to go. However, if a good athlete chooses one school over another, people still want to infer that recruiting has taken place. I still say successful programs draw athletes.

Recruiting and Transfers aren't always related. Parents have the final say so. There are ways around the tssaa rules. Does recruiting happen. Yep sure does. Starts early. I've seen it first had and talk to many others. But rarely is the head coach and administrators ever directly involved. A lot of times it's done my parents of players on the team wanting to strengthen their kids team. Good programs. Good coaching draws attention. Look a Maryville and Alcoa in football they don't have to recruit success does it for them. Me I'll just send my kids to the school that's best for them closest and from I've seen for the better part that's what most do. And I guess I'm lucky cause it's also the closest.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry late getting in on the situation but why should TSSAA worry about transfers when they can make 6 digit salaries and let it go. I have watched high school athletics the last few years and it continues to get worse. There are some cases that should be approved but how many transfers have you heard of that have been denied. Probably none! Because most of the time parents are lying so their kids can play at a better program. This is what a Athletic Director told me once at my high school. The only way a school will get in trouble is if they turn themselves in it looks like. Why want they split private and public schools ? I believe the TSSAA is afraid they will lose their 6 digit salaries. I wish they could hire some more people and check the transfer more closely.

Thanks! I respect everyone's opinion!