TSSAA to Vote on Public/Private Split

bobcatfan300

When 75% of member schools vote to split in 2002, and the board of control, legislative council, and Uncle Bernard decide on their own that there will not be a split, you call that majority rule. DougS, I really do not understand what your point is other than you just support the private schools in DI with a blindfold on. That is not majority rule, it is T$$AA exerting power over  the public with out any oversight from a higher power.

Self police? Maybe that is what the T$$AA is doing, no that is what THEY ARE DOING!  You seriously do not think that colleges and universities turn each other in? You are not really looking at the HS public vs private situation realistically!

The advantage of a private school playing in the public league is that the private school recruits from where ever they can and a small public has to play with who is in their defined school district/zone or what ever you want to call it.

(We can have an open zone/semi-private school discussion anytime later, I think that they have the same advantage as a private, but lets just keep it totally private and not semi-private right now).

I KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO SAY THAT PRIVATES IN DI DON'T RECRUIT, BUT THEY DO.

T$$AA JUST DOES NOT WANT TO INVESTIGATE EVERY RECRUITING RULE VIOLATION THAT IS REPORTED TO THEM. IF THE T$$AA WAS SERIOUS ABOUT ENFORCING THEIR RULES THEY WOULD HAVE A SATELITE OFFICE IN KNOXVILLE, JACKSON, MEMPHIS, THE BURO, AND CHATTANOOGA.

THEY DON'T WANT THAT BECAUSE UNCLE BERNARD AND THE T$$AA MAFIA WOULD LOOSE ALOT OF MONEY, PLUS THEY ARE AFRAID OF THE PRIVATES (THEY FEAR A LAWSUIT LIKE BA SLAPED ON THEM BACK IN THE DAY.

THEY ARE ALSO AFRAID OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH AND THE MEDIA, JUST TO NAME A FEW.

GRACE IN KNOXVILLE WAS CHEATING AND ALL THE GOT WAS A SLAP ON THE RIST AND THEY KICKED THE KID OUT OF SCHOOL WHEN HE BECAME INELIGIBLE. THEY SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE DEATH PENALTY, SENT TO THE REGIONS OF BIG BOY BALL IN DII INSTEAD OF BEATING UP ON THE small publics.

Put T$$AA under control of the state legislature or governors office and things will change. We will get back to the democratic policies of majority rule.

I'll try to be as short as possible on this.

1. I agree that public and private schools recruit.

2. Grace didn't receive a "slap on the wrist" as you stated. I think even the guys on here that despise GCA will tell you that the punishment was adequate (even if they wish it would have been more severe).

3. Several have asked why D1 privates stay in D1 instead of playing DII. I would assume that they are all like GCA, they don't have a charter that will allow them to offer financial aid to students. Going into DII would lump schools that have the ability to offer scholarships to players to play against those schools that will not offer scholarships to players.

Decent discussion on this topic. It will be interesting to see what takes place over the next year or so.

I'll try to be as short as possible on this.

1. I agree that public and private schools recruit.

2. Grace didn't receive a "slap on the wrist" as you stated. I think even the guys on here that despise GCA will tell you that the punishment was adequate (even if they wish it would have been more severe).

3. Several have asked why D1 privates stay in D1 instead of playing DII. I would assume that they are all like GCA, they don't have a charter that will allow them to offer financial aid to students. Going into DII would lump schools that have the ability to offer scholarships to players to play against those schools that will not offer scholarships to players.

Decent discussion on this topic. It will be interesting to see what takes place over the next year or so.

I would call what you got only slightly more than a slap on the wrist. Put yourself in the public schools shoes you affected by KNOWINGLY cheating. Specifically football is where im the most sour. 2008 we (cosby) were finally good enough to beat Hampton and we did, which would normally be good enough to win our region.....but no GCA with inelligible , recruited, housed players beat us by a fieldgoal. No first ever region title for us. That could have changed the direction of our program. Instead we still stuck in mediocrity and GCA with their small punishment has went on to build a powerhouse. All on the eyes of the beholder in how you feel about the severity of your punishment.

I would call what you got only slightly more than a slap on the wrist. Put yourself in the public schools shoes you affected by KNOWINGLY cheating. Specifically football is where im the most sour. 2008 we (cosby) were finally good enough to beat Hampton and we did, which would normally be good enough to win our region.....but no GCA with inelligible , recruited, housed players beat us by a fieldgoal. No first ever region title for us. That could have changed the direction of our program. Instead we still stuck in mediocrity and GCA with their small punishment has went on to build a powerhouse. All on the eyes of the beholder in how you feel about the severity of your punishment.

You and I have had this talk before, but I'm sure we can both agree on the fact that this thread isn't the place to debate it again.

I will say that I agree with you that the kids are those that were hurt the most by what happened (Cosby and others). That can't be changed, but the punishment was severe, it was even stated in the paper that it was one of the most severe punishments ever handed down by TSSAA.

AND it should have been harsh, for the reasons you stated above.

You and I have had this talk before, but I'm sure we can both agree on the fact that this thread isn't the place to debate it again.

I will say that I agree with you that the kids are those that were hurt the most by what happened (Cosby and others). That can't be changed, but the punishment was severe, it was even stated in the paper that it was one of the most severe punishments ever handed down by TSSAA. U

AND it should have been harsh, for the reasons you stated above.

If a two season playoff ban was considered harsh no wonder TSSAA cant control all the recruiting and cheating going on with both public and private schools. No reason not to try to stretch the rules. I felt like when you get caught dead to rights something more is deserved. If you have been around graces program very long you know there was more than one kid being treated different to play sports TSSAA and everyone you competed against for.years knew this. I think public or private caught cheatin that hard calls for a two year cease of athletics not a simple post season ban. Gave yall two years to prep for playoffs.

If a two season playoff ban was considered harsh no wonder TSSAA cant control all the recruiting and cheating going on with both public and private schools. No reason not to try to stretch the rules. I felt like when you get caught dead to rights something more is deserved. If you have been around graces program very long you know there was more than one kid being treated different to play sports TSSAA and everyone you competed against for.years knew this. I think public or private caught cheatin that hard calls for a two year cease of athletics not a simple post season ban. Gave yall two years to prep for playoffs.

I agree with what you are saying. I do still think it was severe punishment (and justified). That's my rose colored glasses wearing opinion. I try to take those glasses off from time to time, but I never let them get too far away from me.

Edited by gcapride

I agree with what you are saying. I do still think it was severe punishment (and justified). That's my rose colored glasses wearing opinion. I try to take those glasses off from time to time, but I never let them get too far away from me.

Im having a hard time letting go of the past.lol I think privates have a natural advantage anyway then when they are allowed to stretch the rules it makes em hard to compete with. If they were to split TSSAA would still need to enforce the rules for.both public and privats to help avoid further turmoil. It would help if they would impart a little more authority now. If they did we may not even be havi.g this conversation about a split.
  • Upvote 1

Im having a hard time letting go of the past.lol I think privates have a natural advantage anyway then when they are allowed to stretch the rules it makes em hard to compete with. If they were to split TSSAA would still need to enforce the rules for.both public and privats to help avoid further turmoil. It would help if they would impart a little more authority now. If they did we may not even be havi.g this conversation about a split.

Again, I agree with you about enforcing the rules on everybody. I also know that it was tough to go through the punishment we received for breaking the rules. I will go a step further and say that the punishment was a blessing in disguise for GCA. We're not crying about it. Good things came from it. We hired a very reputable man as AD that brought us credibility and institutional control processes. We have since hired another great AD that is building all of our programs in the correct manor. I know it's hard for you to overcome that many "I agree with you" comments in one day, breathe, it's really me...

Oldeagle, 'pride IS one of the very few that will be honest about past events...And he's actually a good ole feller...even if he is a GCA supporter :D

I appreciate it UKnoit2. And even though we share a difference of opinion on this subject, I was glad to see the Bulldogs win a game in the state tournament. It was a good showing. Hope to see your son directing traffic on the gridiron this fall.

The advantage of a private school playing in the public league is that the private school recruits from where ever they can and a small public has to play with who is in their defined school district/zone or what ever you want to call it.

(We can have an open zone/semi-private school discussion anytime later, I think that they have the same advantage as a private, but lets just keep it totally private and not semi-private right now).

I KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO SAY THAT PRIVATES IN DI DON'T RECRUIT, BUT THEY DO.

T$$AA JUST DOES NOT WANT TO INVESTIGATE EVERY RECRUITING RULE VIOLATION THAT IS REPORTED TO THEM. IF THE T$$AA WAS SERIOUS ABOUT ENFORCING THEIR RULES THEY WOULD HAVE A SATELITE OFFICE IN KNOXVILLE, JACKSON, MEMPHIS, THE BURO, AND CHATTANOOGA.

THEY DON'T WANT THAT BECAUSE UNCLE BERNARD AND THE T$$AA MAFIA WOULD LOOSE ALOT OF MONEY, PLUS THEY ARE AFRAID OF THE PRIVATES (THEY FEAR A LAWSUIT LIKE BA SLAPED ON THEM BACK IN THE DAY.

THEY ARE ALSO AFRAID OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH AND THE MEDIA, JUST TO NAME A FEW.

GRACE IN KNOXVILLE WAS CHEATING AND ALL THE GOT WAS A SLAP ON THE RIST AND THEY KICKED THE KID OUT OF SCHOOL WHEN HE BECAME INELIGIBLE. THEY SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE DEATH PENALTY, SENT TO THE REGIONS OF BIG BOY BALL IN DII INSTEAD OF BEATING UP ON THE small publics.

Put T$$AA under control of the state legislature or governors office and things will change. We will get back to the democratic policies of majority rule.

If I'm not mistaken didn't Grace pay a fine of like 20,000 and all of their sports teams were banned from post season play for two years. That's a slap on the wrist? What about Ridgeway playing a grown man on their team? Heck he was playing with his step son. They didn't get a ban.