CAK turf

There was an announcement at CAK today that the Warriors are getting field turf for the football field this season.  When Grace, Maryville and Catholic got turf that really didn't bother us, but when Alcoa raised taxes B) to fund a new playing surface ...well, something had to be done. I heard that hamburgers and nanner puddin was going to have significant price increases this year...hum.  Looks like the Warriors are positioning themselves well for the upcoming recruiting wars!  Personally I preferred to play on grass if it was well maintained, but that seems to be old school now.  Here's to turf burns, heat exhaustion, snorting crumb rubber, and more broken ankles....but I'm sure it will look pretty and impress the recruits we will have on campus this fall.  :thumb:  I'm a bit disappointed that I won't get to witness the doctor and lawyer daddies painting the field each Wednesday or Thursday evening before home games anymore.  It was fun to see them get their hands dirty and accidentally paint their expensive loafers :)

Edited by FootballDad

Don't act like the turf lag didn't bother you. Looks like it's time for the Irish to go ahead with the plans for a dome. Recruiting wars. LOL How long til Webb follows suit?

It is really cost effective and prevents a lot of wear and tear on a field when you have three football teams, two soccer teams and two lacrosse teams all using the same field (not to mention the Catholic youth football). At least you all have been able to avoid the "other" football teams from wearing out your real football field.

Edited by IrishBBall

Fulton is going to just paint there grass green one time, and put some paper in the bathrooms. Does a turf field really help to get young kids? Or is it the tradition ?

I don't think it has anything to do with getting kids.  When Catholic was playing on "grass" by the time the weather got cold it was just mud.  I still remember West playing at Catholic and Scott Cummings walked across the field and his shoe got stuck in the mud, walked right out the shoe. Catholic was spending way too much money laying grass each year that wouldn't last.  The turf made sense.

Edited by QSouth89

Cost is cheap over this way for field maintenance. No mowers or reseeding needed. Most school don't even play soccer or lacrose. A few billy goats tied to a cinder block keeps thew grass mowed, fertalized, and re-seeded all at once. Just got to watch out for those dark spots in the field on game night.

Edited by UpperCumberlandMan
  • Upvote 1