State Tournament Field Conditions

PJM

I agree with everything that has been said.  Particularly, that any field that is going to get significant activity when the bermuda is dormant, should be overseeded.  I prefer perennial rye to annual rye.  I find that spraying out the rye to assist with the bermuda transition in June is usually not necessary in Tennessee.

Having said that, there was significant winter kill of the bermuda across Tennessee this year.  Even some of the best maintained golf courses are fighting it.  Even the sod farms are struggling.  I think it was much worse on some of the "better" constructed fields, because those fields usually have shallower roots that are more susceptible to freezing.

I am concerned that there may be some significant winter kill on some overseeded fields that will not be apparent until the rye starts to fade.  Everybody who has an bermuda fields overseeded with rye needs to watch closely through the summer so that any sodding or rejuvenation can be done in time for fall football.