• Greeneville
    • CAK
    • Murfreesboro Central Magnet
    • Signal Mountain
    • Hume-Fogg
    • CPA
    • Jackson North Side
    • Madison Magnet

That has nothing to do with it being a Magnet School, that has to do with location and in the same vane the magnet schools in those locations also have larger public and private schools that take the best club players.  Do you think that CPA and Father Ryan do not get players that could go to Hume Fogg or that Hendersonville, Station Camp and JPII don't take players away from Merrol Hyde.  Maybe the county schools should concentrate more on coaching up  the athletes that they do have.

futbol are you saying that it is usually just magnet school that have resources? because IF that is what your saying then I would like to know why you think that? 

I am not saying they are cheating. I am simply stating fact. The resource pool for the magnet schools is larger given their location. Yes, the county schools in the boondocks need to take steps to actually teach the game instead of just rolling out the balls. I also, disagree with the way TSSAA creates districts. Merrol Hyde should be in District 9 along with Goodpasture. Jackson County should be District 8 instead of 7. The gerrymandering that occurs during the district creating process needs to stop. Schools should be in a district based upon school size and location. It seems like they are trying to distribute the teams based upon talent. This makes it difficult to travel, and it benefits teams like Merrol Hyde by placing them in a district that has very few travel team players.

I am not saying they are cheating. I am simply stating fact. The resource pool for the magnet schools is larger given their location. Yes, the county schools in the boondocks need to take steps to actually teach the game instead of just rolling out the balls. I also, disagree with the way TSSAA creates districts. Merrol Hyde should be in District 9 along with Goodpasture. Jackson County should be District 8 instead of 7. The gerrymandering that occurs during the district creating process needs to stop. Schools should be in a district based upon school size and location. It seems like they are trying to distribute the teams based upon talent. This makes it difficult to travel, and it benefits teams like Merrol Hyde by placing them in a district that has very few travel team players.

I agree with what you just said about how TSSAA should create districts completely on location and size. I know in district 10, where Hume-Fogg is, it now seems for the most part based on location and size, most of the teams are pretty close to each other, and same size. I do know of other districts that are not like that though. For Hume-Fogg and MLK, at least, their locations don't affect who they get, but I can't speak of other magnet schools, because I do not know. 

Edited by knightsfan

I personally have no problem with magnet schools.  You have 100% dedicated parents who used to have to camp for days to get their kids into those schools in Chattanooga but not sure about other locations, parents here in Chattanooga are obligated to volunteer lots of time back to the school.  SM (public) doesn't require that, but it is a huge part of our community so we are similar in that aspect.  

The parents at magnet schools are trying to get the best education they can for their kids.  They tend to be good fans regardless of sport.  I think the disconnect is between privates and publics and based on two articles in the Chattanooga Times/Free Press Sunday, TSSAA is leaning towards putting the privates to their own tournament.  Guess it would be DIIAA-A. 

In soccer, that will still favor the public schools remaining whose kids play year round on travel teams.  If you practice 2 or 3 times a week with a good coach, you develop skills.  While we have kids on our team that run XC, play football, basketball, etc…every kid on varsity (and all but 2 on JV) has at least a few years of select soccer experience.  That is tough for rural counties with no close soccer programs.  

Just my 2 cents and worth what you paid for it!

Edited by tarp

I agree with Tarp, same at Hume-Fogg and MLK with the parents, just want best education, and if good sports come with it, it is a plus.

I haven't seen a Pele' or Beckham come out of TN yet.  Very few DI players actually.  Be realistic and as parents know that going in.  You're going to spend some money on coaches and travel, but the odds of your kid getting a D1 scholarship are next to nil.  

Your kids will take invaluable lessons about winning and losing though.  If it all about getting little Johnny and Suzie into college…take the money you're spending on select sports and invest it in a college fund and hire an ACT trainer.  A 35 or 36 on the ACT is worth way more than than the MVP in a HS tournament.

• Upvote 1

Catfish is right with schools taking talent. Hume-Fogg's best young mid fielder almost went to MBA on a scholarship but they had one left and, of course, gave it to a football prospect instead. 

This is pure speculation or rumor mill banter on your part.  MBA (or any private school) will not offer financial assistance purely for a kid being a good soccer, football, pick your sport.  They apply for financial assistance and go thru a tough application process to receive this assistance. 

This is pure speculation or rumor mill banter on your part.  MBA (or any private school) will not offer financial assistance purely for a kid being a good soccer, football, pick your sport.  They apply for financial assistance and go thru a tough application process to receive this assistance. 

I know the kid personally and he was telling us this, he was even preparing to sit out the season so he could play next year with MBA, but he didn't get it. So even if they have to do that, then I guess that is what he did, but still he was going to be playing soccer for them if he got the scholarship.

futbol, so you are saying that some magnet schools are in ares that have more travel team support, but are in districts that do not make sense because their are other districts that are closer in both location and size? thus creating the disadvantage?

Yes. Absolutely. It seems as if they are trying to pull and NCAA and put teams in districts and regions to spread out the talent. I believe this is wrong. Region should be based upon location and size of school only. Merrol Hyde and Goodpasture do not belong in District 8 based upon their location. Likewise, Jackson County doesn't belong in District 7 with the Chattanooga schools. It is gerrymandering in order to allow certain teams a better chance at attaining a region birth.