Italia's chances in Brazil

I don't understand why Italy is not a common pick for the World Cup. They have a winnable, but difficult group. Buffon and Pirlo are aging out and entering their last cup with loads of experience. Balotelli and Rossi are great youthful strikers ready to attack. Italy had a strong Euro tournament, and a medium Confederations cup.  Costa Rica is a standard CONCACAF team, beatable on the world stage, and England is overrated, they're a great team, but they struggle on the world stage. Uruguay is gonna be a struggle but can go either way, maybe a draw with Italy winning on goal differential. My picks fir the group would be 1- Italy 2-Uruguay 3- England 4- Costa Rica. When they advance to the round of 16, they will either meet Japan, Greece, Columbia, or Ivory Coast (if they win then Japan or Columbia if they lose) both teams are good but beatable on Italy's standards. That would be followed by most likely Netherlands (or Chile if they make a run) then semifinal with Argentina (or Belgium) then Germany in the final. With the youth and passion of the strikers then the expierence oif the defense Italy will be a tough team to out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rossi has not been included in Italy's final roster, so he will not be at the World Cup. Pirlo can still dictate tempo and be the general in a midfield, but he has lost a step. Italy's talent has aged and is not being filled well enough with youth. Balotelli is a great talent but he is just as likely to score a goal as he is to cause your team to be playing a man down. You never know what you will get with him in terms of attitude and motivation as well. No Montolivo either for Italy. Italy could get out of the group and win a game due to a poor group pairing, but that would be the limit for them in my opinion.

England and Uruguay I believe have better sides in that group. If England decides to play an attacking style and use Sturridge, Rooney, Sterling, Wilshere, and others in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 they could have agood tournament. They always have a good team but underperform, maybe this is the year they break out of the funk. Uruguay is talented up front but have some question marks defensively. All that said, I don't see a team outside of Spain, Germany, Brazil and Belgium as a distant 4th having a shot at winning the tournament.

Edited by SoccerInTennessee

I picked Italy to advance in my bracket.  Italy always performs well at the World Cup.  Buffon is awesome. I've always been a fan of him in goal. I think Uruguay will win the group, with Italy advancing behind tehm. England always finds a way to mess things up. I don't think this world cup will be any different for them. 

My Sleeper in the tournament is Belgium. They are loaded. Even with Benteke out, Belgium will make some serious noise. 

Thanks for the invite!  Italy did finish last in their group at the 2010 World Cup, which featured Paraguay, Slovakia, and New Zealand (a very weak group).  That makes me nervous as does their roster, but they did have a decent showing at Euros.  It is definitely a tough group.  I think the England team could turn it around with a lot of the young players, but not holding my breath with that one! I am picking Uruguay and England to get out of the group though.  The whole situation with England is so odd to me.  They have the talent to do so well. Rooney, Sturridge, Wilshere, Sterling, Ox, Lallana, Barkley, Welbeck all give quality attacking.  They have the guys in midfield and defensively as well.  Just really perplexing when you see how well they have done recently, or how poorly.  

I think Belgium could do very well.  They have an advantageous group and are loaded with talent. Hazard, Lukaku, Kompany, Dembele.... They are loaded.  If Costa is fit for Spain, I don't see a team in the tournament as talented.  He adds that finishing touch that Spain hasn't had since Villa and Torres were younger.  They were not the same at the confed cup with fabregas playing high in that role at times.  I think they are a much different side with a consistent scorer and target up front. With that said, their defenders scare me a bit.  But with as much time as they hold the ball, the defenders are not asked to do as much.  To me, one of Brazil, Spain, and Germany has to win the tournament.