THOUGHTS ON PITCH COUNTS

baseball100

IN THE LAST COUPLE MONTHS BEEN A LOT OF TALK ABOUT THE TOMMY JOHN EPIDEMIC GOING ON ACROSS THE COUNTRY AND THE KID THROWING LIKE 196 IN WASHINGTON JUST WANTED TO GET EVERYONES THOUGHT ON SHOULD THEY BE A PITCH LIMIT AT THE HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL AND WHAT SHOULD IT BE.

AND WHATS THE MOST YOU HAVE SEEN A KID THROW THIS YEAR.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say yes, there should be one at the high school level. I'll let someone esle decide the number. I say this due to having first hand knowledge on the subject; A. I'm an athletic trainer and B. I was overused as a teenager and my arm turned to mush and it still bothers me till this day. I was not a great pitcher, just the best pticher on a team that was subpar at the time, so it didn't ruin any future career for me, but it could for some kid. I was also a catcher and that needs to be remembered as well. The catcher is throwing, not as violently, but as much as the pitcher does and does it every game.

IM GLAD YOU BROUGHT UP THE CATCHER PART NOT A LOT OF PEOPLE REALLY THINK ABOUT IT LIKE THAT CAUSE A LOT OF THESE SMALLER SCHOOLS YOUR CATCHER IS USUALLY ONE OF YOUR BETTER PITCHERS TO. I SEEN FIRST HAND LAST WEEKEND IN A 14 UNDER TOURNY I WAS WORKING AT A KID CAUGHT BACK TO BACK GAMES AND THEN THREW THE 3RD GAME ( THERE WAS A GAME OR TWO IN BETWEEN I THINK )  AND CAME OUT IN THE 3rd or 4th WITH HIS ARM HURTING WHEN YOU COULD TELL IN THE 1st IT WAS HURTING THEN.

Anytime this subject comes up I just sit here and wonder how pitchers used to throw every 4 days sometimes into the 150 range until they were 40 years old. Now more arm problems than ever. Makes me think that kids arent training correctly at a young age or something is in the water.

Mickey Lolich or Sam McDowell wasn't the most athletic person in the world - LOL!!! Perhaps the old days of not working out and staying in shape during the offseason let the old arms recoup better?   Spring Training used to be for a different purpose. It was a time to lose the winter beer gut and get in shape for another season.  Now does anyone, at any level, take 4 months completely off???

GLOCK 22 THEY MAY NOT PITCH PAST HIGH SCHOOL BUT FOR THE ONES THAT DO ITS NOT TURNING OUT GOOD FOR THEM. I SEEN A WRITE UP ON BLECHER REPORT A FEW DAYS AGO IT SAID OUT OF LIKE THE PAST 2 MONTHS IN THE MINORS AND PROS SOMETHING LIKE 75% OF THE TOMMY JOHN WORK DONE WAS PEOPLE 21 OR YOUNGER.

Doesn't matter if they go to college or pro, an arm injury due to overuse can still cause problems for the kid down the road. I would like to see stats that back up the claim that arm issues are a modern problem. I don't know how one could definitively say that is true. Tommy John didn't exist that long ago, guys sucked it up and others just hung it up. I know most accept it as true, but how do we really know? Another issue is kids these days start throwing breaking pitches when they're 9 years old! That is never a good idea and really stupid because probably 99.9% can't throw one. When I was 9, pitchers threw two pitches; in the dirt and not in the dirt.

Anytime this subject comes up I just sit here and wonder how pitchers used to throw every 4 days sometimes into the 150 range until they were 40 years old. Now more arm problems than ever. Makes me think that kids arent training correctly at a young age or something is in the water.

Kids throw way more than pitchers back in the day, sure they threw a lot of ball games and a lot of pitchers but now kids start out in little league, play fall ball, winter ball, school team ball, travel ball and they do this starting at an extremely young age. Back then you played a baseball season once a year and your done. I know first hand, I wasn't a great picture I maybe could of ended up playing NAIA at best but by the time I was a freshman my arm was dead it hurt to even warm up.

The best thing that my son did for his arm was play football. It gave him a 3 month (August, September & October) break from baseball. He would go and hit occasionally with his buddies but he didn't even play catch for 90+ day's. IMO, high school kid's need to be more well rounded and the break from baseball is good for not only physical healing of the body but it gives them a mental break.

Ugly subject. Pitch counts, pitching 85 pitches and then moving to 3rd or SS the next game, catchers pitching....it's all ugly.

BUT...I see many more torn labrum surgeries in high schoolers than I do TJ surgeries. That issue makes me think kids are lifting too much too early. Maybe the TJ issues are too much too early as well.