John A. Anderson 10 years 1926-35

Chris Pickett 8 years 1989-96

Nick Bryant 6 years 2009-14

John A. Anderson 5 years 1942-46

Ed Cantrell 5 years 1966-70

Horace Moore 4 years 1951-54

Roy Ferguson 4 years 1955-58

Doug Pittenger 4 years 1974-77

Moose Bouldin 4 years 1981-84 (all 4 of my years...9-31...yes I'm still bitter..)

Ken Colquette 4 years 2001-04

Note- Greg Brewer had a total of 5 years. 1998-00 and 2005-06

And - Chris Pickett had another season for a total of 9. The year he died 2007.

Not sure if any of this matters at all in the discussion but I figured it was worth throwing in.

DL.

Just a little history if you will......

Longest tenures in Grundy football history -

Moose Bouldin 4 years 1981-84 (all 4 of my years...9-31...yes I'm still bitter..)

Not sure if any of this matters at all in the discussion but I figured it was worth throwing in.

DL.

Del are they gonna hire that Tate boy?

They haven't posted anything. They haven't said if they're going to form a committee.... They haven't said much. I can't see any movement until after the Christmas break.

I'm sure Casey will apply and will have strong considerations. There will likely be some other locals apply as well. I've also heard talk for 2 years or better about going after another "name" or two.

I don't think anyone could predict it right now. They're in the middle of deciding about a new AD and that seems to be an interesting debate.

But I can't see anything happening until mid January or later. Right now I just hope they give the Bass Team coach a raise. I hear he's doing a pretty good job. B)

Just a little history if you will......

Longest tenures in Grundy football history -

DL.

So what your saying here is that we haven't had a coach stay here for more than 10 yrs. since before WW2 and they just ran off a guy that loved it here, went to the playoffs every year, and ran a clean program. Hmm. That sounds like the stability a good coach would want to walk into doesn't it?

Actually if you look around the valley I'm pretty sure it's shown to be common for coaches to change every few years. The exceptions to that would be Vic at SP and Ken at Marion during their long runs. Other than that it's pretty common for it to change around.

Being the head coach of most anything is a thankless job these days. There's not a football coach I know that doesn't have someone wanting them gone about 5 minutes after they're hired. It's not right but it is the nature of the beast. Anyone that wants to be a head football coach is nuts. However...the ones I've seen be successful were/are pretty much nuts. Ken, Vic, Pickett, Sid Fritts..... I really don't think I've ever known a successful football coach that was 100% sane......

I think it is better to leave the coaches in place so long as they are doing the things the right way. Very unfair to base the total performance just on wins and losses.

Unfortunately that's the nature of coaching. Should I say it is a privilage to coach high school sports and it is fair because you know before you get in the profession that if you don't win you won't last long. I don't know Bryant but in my estimation it is similar to the Evans deal at Marion. Maybe he got the keys to the car before he was ready to drive. I disagree with am ambassador, I think there is talent on the mtn. The team last year was talented. Big corn fed linemen, decent athletes, but maybe should have taken advantage of physical lineman and had a punishing running game. The problem at Grundy is unique in that there are about 6 or8 feeder schools that feed the high school. A centralized middle school is a good start for the program. Good luck to Grundy in your search. May you truly get the best coach you can find.

Unfortunately that's the nature of coaching. Should I say it is a privilage to coach high school sports and it is fair because you know before you get in the profession that if you don't win you won't last long. I don't know Bryant but in my estimation it is similar to the Evans deal at Marion. Maybe he got the keys to the car before he was ready to drive. I disagree with am ambassador, I think there is talent on the mtn. The team last year was talented. Big corn fed linemen, decent athletes, but maybe should have taken advantage of physical lineman and had a punishing running game. The problem at Grundy is unique in that there are about 6 or8 feeder schools that feed the high school. A centralized middle school is a good start for the program. Good luck to Grundy in your search. May you truly get the best coach you can find.

I agree with much of your post, but I don't think they have lost one playoff game against an opponent they are more talented than. 5-5 or 6-4 is the norm for Grundy and always will be on the mountain.