Should a college prospect play in High School?

K2ruth

KVA has two upcoming 18 players that have already verbally committed to play at certain colleges and  many more still in the decision process. Already, even a few 17s who have basically decided where they are playing just haven't/can't verbally commit yet. To say:

"K2 is designed more for the elite player who wants to play in college. KVA is for the high school player who wants to get better"

is to be misinformed. They may not be D1 schools, but not everyone, including K2 players are D1 level athletes.  Last year K2 had one girl sign D1 and doubt on a scholarship. That is all I know of that went D1, please correct me if that is wrong.

Many K2 18s did go on to play college at D2 and D3 which is great, and that is what I hope paying for years of club gets players, the chance  to play in college if thats what they want. Almost any club player can go to college and play.

I'm getting off topic though, High School play is for fun, to make memories and for school spirit. It may not be the highest level they can play but they sure do have a good time. I hate for those who choose not to play high school to miss out on the experience because the high school years go by too soon.

Edited by Knoxdoyles

Beachboy. The K2 outfit just started generating some talented girls. The last 2 years were girls that had not developed through the whole system. The talent (as I hear about it) is in the younger girls. The next 3 years will tell how well their system is working for their girls. There were some last year that went on scholarship. Two D1 and another to a smaller school (i can't remeber where).The true out come will be these next 3 years. There should be quite a few going out this year from both clubs.  I hope all the girls in our county go D1!! Wouldn't that be great!!!

Wow, there are some strong opinions about this topic. It seems to me that naming an individual high school coach as the only local coach who can prepare girls for the D1 level is insulting to many of the other area high school volleyball coaches who spend more time preparing, planning, and coaching than anyone would even imagine. I know I wasn't the poster that was asked to name other High level coaches in the area, but I believe that the programs at Farragut, CAK, Knoxville. Catholic, OakRidge, and Bearden to name a few have great coaches who teach court and team skills that would translate well to any volleyball program at any division. This is not to take anything away from the Webb coach, who is fantastic. Also, you can't beat Anderson County coaches for instilling a terrific work ethic and love of the game in their players. It seems to me that their is no definitive answer - each athlete has to determine what she values and pick the route that best meets her needs. There should be a good mutual working relationship between club and hs coaches, with club providing the programs they wish but not pulling a player one way or the other.

K2Ruth, I think I understand what you have been saying on this thread.  Now correct me if I am wrong, but in your opinion except for Webb all of the coaches in the Knoxville area are not good enough to coach an “elite†athlete, correct?  So the elite players need to not waste their time at the high school level.  I agree there are some coaches who are not top flight coaches in high school, but you will find that anywhere in the country.  However, I do not think all of the coaches at K2 are elite coaches either.  At least what I would consider top level coaches.  To me a coach is more than a coach, they are teachers.  They are teachers of their sport and more importantly whether you are going to college to play a sport or not, coaches are teachers of life.  And regardless of your point of view, I do not think that is debatable.  Most high school coaches (not all) teach at the school they coach at and see their player’s everyday during the school year.  They can have a huge influence as these kids are growing up and trying to find their way to becoming adults.  So try and give them some credit.

Good coaches can teach team and individual skills.  They can see what is being done and be able to make corrections where they need to be made.  Too many coaches just spit out drills with no thought as to the why and the purpose of the drill.  They just know the drill because someone showed them, or they saw it at a clinic.  Good coaches have purpose to everything they do each day.  Those coaches are very rare and hard to find.  Is the coach at Webb the only person in Knoxville that has that ability? 

And one more thought before I go back to work; are any of the players at Webb only training this fall with K2 or are they all playing for their high school?  Since that coach is the owner of K2 and if her players are not training at K2, I would find that very curious.  Or does she not have any elite college level players on her high school team.  Is there a conflict of interest here?  Just an observation.

Before I go, and I hope this is an ok thing to do, one of my good friends sent this link to me on being an athlete.  Have fun with it, it is too funny!

www.careerathletes.com/mobile/news_detail.php?id=169

• Upvote 1

Signal has a volleyball player who signed with FL in her JR. year. They want her down there in Jan. Is this your average player? NO! She's 6'++ and can touch 11'4" on vertical leap. We had a quarterback who left in Dec. a couple of years ago and is a back-up role at KY.

These are not your usual athletes. Encourage your sons and daughters to represent their HS's.

11'4"? That would be higher than any of the national team players reach and would be approaching a forty inch vertical. I've been around and played with some of the best female players and it is hard to believe that you are claiming this of a girl who is a junior in high school when it is doubtful any woman in history has touched this. Destinee Hooker only reaches 10'11".

Tarp,

Gotcha and I agree with you. Club ball is certainly hurting volleyball as it is taking many potential national team players away from the game due to the expense. The pool of really top athletes that play volleyball will continue to decrease as this elitist attitude increases. This is not polo, it's volleyball a game invented at a YMCA. Quit trying to profit at the expense of the game. (Not aimed at you tarp, I agree with your outlook).

Signal has a volleyball player who signed with FL in her JR. year. They want her down there in Jan. Is this your average player? NO! She's 6'++ and can touch 11'4" on vertical leap. We had a quarterback who left in Dec. a couple of years ago and is a back-up role at KY.

These are not your usual athletes. Encourage your sons and daughters to represent their HS's.

What a joke! Where in the world does a person get off making a statement like this???

11'4" - Give me a break. The top of a girl's volleyball net is 7'4 and 1/4"

I guess she will jumping over the net soon.