A Complete Split

PinU46

Well, last night, representatives of the TSSAA member schools voted 205-81 in favor of an absolute split between public and private schools. Since it was not even close, I think that it is safe to assume that from the 2005-06 classification period onwards, there will be an absolute split between Tennessee's public and private schools.

My first impression is that an absolute split will be much, much worse for the public schools and the TSSAA than for the private schools. First, with an absolute split, the private schools will be completely free to use their considerable resources and facilities to attract (recruit) the best athletes, musicians, artists, actors, etc. from the public schools without fearing any kind of punishment. After all, what will the public schools and the TSSAA do, vote for an absolute boycott of private schools or vote to kick them out? Heck, the former will occur naturally due to the public schools not being required to play private schools and the latter will be virtually accomplished by the split itself. Which leads me to my next point. With an absolute split, why should the private schools remain in the public school-dominated TSSAA? They shouldn't and they won't. Expect the creation of some sort of TISSAA (Tennessee Independent Secondary Schools Athletic Association) that can and will establish its own rules for the benefit of private schools only, with little or no concern about the impact on public schools. So, a word of advice to the public schools: be careful for what you wish for!

What will be the consequences of an absolute split? Let

[Edited by PinU46 on 11-8-02 11:47A]

I think it will mean that the smaller private schools will have to do what the lager private schools are already doing.....recruit the best student athletes. From what I've heard some of the bigger private schools are in favor for a complete split because it will add more schools to DII. Also, this is one issue that you'll find that most of DI schools will vote WITH the DII schools on a issue. The Ezell Hardings and Boyd Buchanans of private schools know that they'll have to step up their recruiting efforts in order to compete with the BA's and McCallie's.

I think the split is a very bad decision. I think this weakens the competition for wrestling greatly because individual titles will mean less and less. There will be no more region champions, everyone goes to state (like the current division II), and state titles will be easier to come by (Division I, Div II/small, DivII/big). I understand Public schools are upset at the ivision I private schools for allegdley recruiting athletes. About 99% of the time this is simply not happening. I dont think its fair to punish the competition for the kids because Coaches feel like theyre being cheated. All this split will do is weakin the wrestling in Tennesse

What are you talking about? There are only 6 or 7 private schools that compete in DI wrestling and none of them are what you'd call a top 20 team. I'll tell you what the the split will do for DII wrestling.....it MIGHT give them a 16 man bracket in some of the weight classes. Which would at least look better on paper than the current brackets.

Sly,

That's the first time I've seen you post that McCallie is recruiting student athletes. Do you hold that opinion, or are you just looking for a reaction? If McCallie is recruiting, they are sure doing a terrible job of it. Their defensive line averages about 180 lbs per man. I call for an immediate resignation of their recruiting coordinator. I thought it was Baylor who recruited away Bradley's wrestlers?

Guest cornpop

The only thing that will be hurt be the split is everyone's feelings. What would you grip about. I can see down the road DII schools coming up with their own league, this would allow them to enter the national private tournament that they all wine about. And there would only be the TSSAA schools no DI or DII. Everyone would be happy. I would love to see this happen. A kid would have to decide if he wants to wrestle in a state tournament where everyone in league is entered, and then try nationals. Or would he like to wrestle in a best of the best state tournament and wait until his senior year to go to nationals. I guess it will come down to just how much money private schools will want to spend on recruitment.