What's going on in 6AAA?

Tenntwin

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a big game for sure, should go down to the wire with the mighty Warriors.  You guys are a tough matchup for us.  We didn't play real well against Stone last night.  I think Stone plays their best against the Lady Jets.  When I see them play against CCHS, it puzzles me how Stone loses so many games to others?  

This is a big game for sure, should go down to the wire with the mighty Warriors.  You guys are a tough matchup for us.  We didn't play real well against Stone last night.  I think Stone plays their best against the Lady Jets.  When I see them play against CCHS, it puzzles me how Stone loses so many games to others?  

I thought the same thing.  They must really pick it up against us.  Stone played well until our perimeter pressure was too much for them late.

This was a great game with SMHS ahead for a large part of it.  Indeed late in the game they did falter.  However, having watched them all season I think they're a team in progress. They've had multiple coaches in the past years and now have one who knows what it takes to win and is invested in them.  There's a lot of talent on that team too.  The younger girls (JV took the Freshman/Sophomore tournament) and the older girls are working hard and improving every game (as seen last night).  I predict their time is coming and in the meantime I love watching games like this one where both teams put it all out there.  

You mentioned that stone won the freshman/sophomore tournament but it needs to be noted that they won with juniors playing.

Actually it doesn't "need to be noted".  I suggest you check the roster online.  There were no juniors playing during the freshman/sophomore tournament.  I was there.....were you?  

Actually it doesn't "need to be noted".  I suggest you check the roster online.  There were no juniors playing during the freshman/sophomore tournament.  I was there.....were you?  

PlauteaVol, Nortney is correct.  No Juniors played in the Freshman/Soph tourney for Stone, only Fresh/Sophs.  CCHS, however, did not play their two Sophs in the Freshman/Soph tourney that start for varsity in Varney and Carlton.  If they did, none of the games in the Freshmen/Soph tourney would have been close; CCHS would have dominated.  Stone does however break TSSAA rules in the JV games by playing varsity starters, at least they have in the two JV games this against CCHS.  In both games they played a varsity starter (two in the game at CCHS).  According to 2014-2015 TSSAA Constitution and Bylaws, page 6, under definitions - "Junior Varsity" - "Any level of play below the varsity level, whether denominated as junior varsity, b-team, or otherwise.  The membership of a junior varsity team shall be composed of varsity substitutes and any other non-varsity players identified on the school's eligibility list."  Only subs can play JV, not starters.  This past Tuesday night, Melton (Jr) played in the JV game and started the varsity game.  At CCHS, Stone played two Sophs in the JV game that started in the Varsity game in the same night #14 and #4.  Both instances were TSSAA violations.

TennTwin you might wanna call TSSAA before you go spouting off rules and claiming a violation. TSSAA takes 1 eligibility form for HS basketball. They do not hve separate forms or identification for JV-V. Just got off phone with Gene Meneese and he says there is zero issue with a starter playing in a JV game much less only playing in 1 qtr of the jv game like Melton did. Melton had a serious ankle injury and is working back in to lineup. Once again, NO VIOLATION per TSSAA.

TennTwin you might wanna call TSSAA before you go spouting off rules and claiming a violation. TSSAA takes 1 eligibility form for HS basketball. They do not hve separate forms or identification for JV-V. Just got off phone with Gene Meneese and he says there is zero issue with a starter playing in a JV game much less only playing in 1 qtr of the jv game like Melton did. Melton had a serious ankle injury and is working back in to lineup. Once again, NO VIOLATION per TSSAA.

I trust that you are correct and I probably shouldn't have stated, "violations" without talking to the TSSAA - I apologize.  I had spoke with coaches and refs about the guidelines for JV because of another situation (only playing a kid a quarter or two in JV games because they played some varsity minutes), not Stone's - and was told it was a "non starter" rule now, not the 6 quarters per night that used to be enforced.  To me, the definition of JV is real clear in the TSSAA bylaws - "non-starter" or "varsity substitutes".  Here is the link, page six - "Junior Varsity".  http://tssaa.org/2013-14-tssaa-bylaws-constitution/

I guess Mr. McNeese should have this removed from the Constitution and Bylaws.

Edited by Tenntwin

Sounds like they should or the TSSAA should actually have more than 1 eligibility form distinguishing between V and JV which they do not. There is no longer even a 6 qtr limit. You can play a kid 8. Melton played 5. Most coaches don't care who people play and are for the kids so it's a non issue until parents complain after losing a game and don't understand why a kid would be given the chance to play extra minutes which is what JV is for.

Sounds like they should or the TSSAA should actually have more than 1 eligibility form distinguishing between V and JV which they do not. There is no longer even a 6 qtr limit. You can play a kid 8. Melton played 5. Most coaches don't care who people play and are for the kids so it's a non issue until parents complain after losing a game and don't understand why a kid would be given the chance to play extra minutes which is what JV is for.

I understand your thoughts, and I really don't have a problem with kids playing.  The previous post by Nortney about winning the freshman/soph tourney without comparing "apples to apples" sent me over the edge and sent me to where I shouldn't have gone.  I was seeking clarity on the JV issues months ago about playing time and eligibility; and was given that link and definition.  When I saw the starters for Stone playing in JV games, it stood out to me.