8AA 2014 Predictions

BaxterBiRite1996

LA is basically a AAA school anyway[/quote

Alright now go back to the kids table with your footsie pajamas & don't forget to clean your plate. This is the grown-up table!

LA will be residing in 8AA again this year & that should be your only concern. LA got two good wins for any classification. Go ahead & celebrate your loss & beat your chest a little.

Great wins by Upperman over Smyrna, LA over Riverdale and Oakland, and a hard fought close loss by Cannon vs East Nashville. Those three will be the top three in the district. LA will be the top of those three.

Generally speaking, schools with larger enrollments have an advantage over smaller ones, that's why we have classifications. The smaller schools in the district(Smith, Cannon, Dekalb,etc) struggle every year against LA. They may field a team every few years and compete for the title, but it's not consistent. LA has always dominated 8AA, I certainly don't think it's because they have some "secret winning formula". You brag about how LA beats AAA teams, then maybe they should move to AAA, they wouldn't have any trouble competing. I'm not trying to make excuses for the smaller schools, but I guess it looks that way. i will take my toys and go home now. Good discussion though and your points are well taken!

UH has finished ahead LA several times including last year...they are the same size as Cannon,Dekalb....so your point is sorta invalid. Enrollment matters, but muchmore in football with 22 starters than basketball with 5 starters. If you look at Football, baseball, basketball both girls and boths, I think LA and UH over all have the strongest teams the past 5 years. DC would be a close third. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

UH has finished ahead LA several times including last year...they are the same size as Cannon,Dekalb....so your point is sorta invalid. Enrollment matters, but muchmore in football with 22 starters than basketball with 5 starters. If you look at Football, baseball, basketball both girls and boths, I think LA and UH over all have the strongest teams the past 5 years. DC would be a close third.

Don't really have a dog in the 8AA battle, but we are playing/have seen several of your teams. I just wanted to chime in on the enrollment issue.  I agree it matters some, but UC Man has made a great point... and one I've often used in talking to some of my friends around the UC.  When you play 5 players at a time, enrollment doesn't matter near as much as it does when you start 11 (soccer) or 22 football, etc... Especially in the same area, what I mean is that the type of talent at cookeville is similar to the type of talent at york... the difference being in theory that we, cookeville, should have more of it (more bodies)     

I also agree with what someone said about LA earlier.  It matters alot how big the community buy in is and the feeder programs etc...  On the flip side, if all your community cares about is football, gonna be hard to be successful long term.   LA seems to have great support for both. 

I'll be able to give my opinion on 8AA better after Tuesday.  It certainly sounds like LA is going to give us all we want (and maybe more).  Here's hoping its a good game and no one gets hurt! 

Don't really have a dog in the 8AA battle, but we are playing/have seen several of your teams. I just wanted to chime in on the enrollment issue. I agree it matters some, but UC Man has made a great point... and one I've often used in talking to some of my friends around the UC. When you play 5 players at a time, enrollment doesn't matter near as much as it does when you start 11 (soccer) or 22 football, etc... Especially in the same area, what I mean is that the type of talent at cookeville is similar to the type of talent at york... the difference being in theory that we, cookeville, should have more of it (more bodies)

I also agree with what someone said about LA earlier. It matters alot how big the community buy in is and the feeder programs etc... On the flip side, if all your community cares about is football, gonna be hard to be successful long term. LA seems to have great support for both.

I'll be able to give my opinion on 8AA better after Tuesday. It certainly sounds like LA is going to give us all we want (and maybe more). Here's hoping its a good game and no one gets hurt!

great points, LA and CHS should come down to the wire. Like I have said before, LA does a great job in every sport not just one. So does Upperman, May 2013 final four in baseball state, Fall 2013 semi finals in Football, Winter 2013/2014 went to state tourn in Basketball. Back to back to back. Don't know that has ever happened. 2012 LA went to 3rd round of football playoffs, final 4 of basketball state tourn. Dekalb is third all around in 8aa with well round teams both boys and girls. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

LA takes down Cookeville 59-51. Closer game than I expected. Cookeville turned it into a very physical game & refs allowed some dirty play. Not a bad game plan because LA was cruising. Every test you get at this point just makes you better, I like how the wildcats responded! Linder capped it off with a big two hand slam. Cookeville will be alright in 6AAA, pretty amazing considering the transfers they lost.

• Upvote 1

Good game to LA.  Refs were so bad both ways last night.  They let it get out of hand , Eldridge should never have had that intentional called on him... The missed alot of calls on both teams imo.   Credit to the wildcats , they hit shots down the stretch and made winning plays.  Well done. I think we can get ya back ... looking forward to it.