Gallatin 0-0 @ Springfield 1-0

runninblind

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Renewal of and old rivalry that began in 1926. Two schools steeped in football tradition. Springfield leads in the all-time series 32-29-2 . Legendary Springfield Coach Boyce Smith led the Jackets in 29 of those wins (1928-1971 ). The series has since been dominated by the Green Wave , the Jackets have won only 3 times since 1968. Legendary Gallatin coaches Jim Barron and Calvin Short led the Wave for most of this period. In 1989 the teams stopped playing on a yearly basis, the Jackets dropped in classification in 1987. The schools have played each other seven times since 2001. The Jackets have not defeated the Wave since 1981, the Jackets upset Gallatin in 1980 and 1981 coached by former Yellow Jacket Jerry Pearson , a former teamate of coach Calvin Short at MTSU.The late Jimbo Pearson , younger brother of Jerry led the Jackets to their only win in the 70's ,winning in 1975. sadly he passed away in the Spring of 1976 the year the Calvin Short era began later that fall. The teams played twice in 1977 , with the Wave winning both ,the latter being a state play-off game. Coach Short led the Wave to the State Championship in 1978 , with two more titles in 1989 and 1992 befor his retirement. Springfield won a State Championship in 1993 coached by former Jacket Randy Thomas at the helm. Good luck to both teams tonight.

Renewal of and old rivalry that began in 1926. Two schools steeped in football tradition. Springfield leads in the all-time series 32-29-2 . Legendary Springfield Coach Boyce Smith led the Jackets in 29 of those wins (1928-1943 ). The series has since been dominated by the Green Wave , the Jackets have won only 3 times since 1968. Legendary Gallatin coaches Jim Barron and Calvin Short led the Wave for most of this period. In 1989 the teams stopped playing on a yearly basis, the Jackets dropped in classification in 1987. The schools have played each other seven times since 2001. The Jackets have not defeated the Wave since 1981, the Jackets upset Gallatin in 1980 and 1981 coached by former Yellow Jacket Jerry Pearson , a former teamate of coach Calvin Short at MTSU.The late Jimbo Pearson , younger brother of Jerry led the Jackets to their only win in the 70's ,winning in 1975. sadly he passed away in the Spring of 1976 the year the Calvin Short era began later that fall. The teams played twice in 1977 , with winning both ,the latter being a state play-off game. Coach Short led the Wave to the State Championship in 1978 , with two more titles in 1989 and 1992 befor his retirement. Springfield won a State Championship in 1993 coached by former Jacket Randy Thomas at the helm. Good luck to both teams tonight.

Edited by LEON

Renewal of and old rivalry that began in 1926. Two schools steeped in football tradition. Springfield leads in the all-time series 32-29-2 . Legendary Springfield Coach Boyce Smith led the Jackets in 29 of those wins (1928-1971 ). The series has since been dominated by the Green Wave , the Jackets have won only 3 times since 1968. Legendary Gallatin coaches Jim Barron and Calvin Short led the Wave for most of this period. In 1989 the teams stopped playing on a yearly basis, the Jackets dropped in classification in 1987. The schools have played each other seven times since 2001. The Jackets have not defeated the Wave since 1981, the Jackets upset Gallatin in 1980 and 1981 coached by former Yellow Jacket Jerry Pearson , a former teamate of coach Calvin Short at MTSU.The late Jimbo Pearson , younger brother of Jerry led the Jackets to their only win in the 70's ,winning in 1975. sadly he passed away in the Spring of 1976 the year the Calvin Short era began later that fall. The teams played twice in 1977 , with winning both ,the latter being a state play-off game. Coach Short led the Wave to the State Championship in 1978 , with two more titles in 1989 and 1992 befor his retirement. Springfield won a State Championship in 1993 coached by former Jacket Randy Thomas at the helm. Good luck to both teams tonight.

Renewal of and old rivalry that began in 1926. Two schools steeped in football tradition. Springfield leads in the all-time series 32-29-2 . Legendary Springfield Coach Boyce Smith led the Jackets in 29 of those wins (1928-1943 ). The series has since been dominated by the Green Wave , the Jackets have won only 3 times since 1968. Legendary Gallatin coaches Jim Barron and Calvin Short led the Wave for most of this period. In 1989 the teams stopped playing on a yearly basis, the Jackets dropped in classification in 1987. The schools have played each other seven times since 2001. The Jackets have not defeated the Wave since 1981, the Jackets upset Gallatin in 1980 and 1981 coached by former Yellow Jacket Jerry Pearson , a former teamate of coach Calvin Short at MTSU.The late Jimbo Pearson , younger brother of Jerry led the Jackets to their only win in the 70's ,winning in 1975. sadly he passed away in the Spring of 1976 the year the Calvin Short era began later that fall. The teams played twice in 1977 , with winning both ,the latter being a state play-off game. Coach Short led the Wave to the State Championship in 1978 , with two more titles in 1989 and 1992 befor his retirement. Springfield won a State Championship in 1993 coached by former Jacket Randy Thomas at the helm. Good luck to both teams tonight.

Edited by LEON

Upon further review and other contributing factors. The Springfield -Gallatin series is actually tied 30-30-2. Sorry for the miscounted game history. So a Green Wave win tonight will put the Wave ahead for the first time since the series began in 1926. This probably means nothing to most , but to me , football is more than a game it's tradition.

Upon further review and other contributing factors. The Springfield -Gallatin series is actually tied 30-30-2. Sorry for the miscounted game history. So a Green Wave win tonight will put the Wave ahead for the first time since the series began in 1926. This probably means nothing to most , but to me , football is more than a game it's tradition.

Agree with you on more than just a game...Great post ! The game that sticks in my mind the most was the 6-0 win for the wave in Springfield ..Gallatin was up 6-0 and fumbled inside the Springfield 20 yard line and was picked up by a Springfield lineman a looked like he was going to score but was ran down by a Gallatin lineman just short of the springfield goal line to preserve the win...I believe the lineman from Gallatin was Bart Gibbs..What a game ! That had to be in the mid 70's ! Edited by runninblind

Agree with you on more than just a game...Great post ! The game that sticks in my mind the most was the 6-0 win for the wave in Springfield ..Gallatin was up 6-0 and fumbled inside the Springfield 20 yard line and was picked up by a Springfield lineman a looked like he was going to score but was ran down by a Gallatin lineman just short of the springfield goal line to preserve the win...I believe the lineman from Gallatin was Bart Gibbs..What a game ! That had to be in the mid 70's !

That was 1976.

Agree with you on more than just a game...Great post ! The game that sticks in my mind the most was the 6-0 win for the wave in Springfield ..Gallatin was up 6-0 and fumbled inside the Springfield 20 yard line and was picked up by a Springfield lineman a looked like he was going to score but was ran down by a Gallatin lineman just short of the springfield goal line to preserve the win...I believe the lineman from Gallatin was Bart Gibbs..What a game ! That had to be in the mid 70's ![/quote. That was 1976 , I believe that was Coach Short's first year at Gallatin and Robert Farmer's first year at Springfield. I believe it was a Jacket DB that was headed to the end zone but was tripped up by his own feet , as Gallatin went on to win and advance to the play-offs , Springfield went on to the Volunteer Bowl at Gallatin losing to McGacvock and finished the season 8-4.