Signal Mtn Girls, Macon Co. Boys Win Region 4 A-AA Titles

bbb

PIKEVILLE - Four of the past five years, Region 4 of A-AA has claimed either or both boys and girls TSSAA state golf championships and next week the Signal Mountain girls and Macon County boys hope to make it five of six.

Monday at the Fall Creek Falls National Park golf course, the Signal Mountain girls claimed their fifth region title in six years, while the Macon County boys took home the top region title for the second time in three years.

On to the State: The region team champs and the top four individual players not on the championship team advance to the A-AA state tourney at WillowBrook in Manchester, Sept. 23-24.

Medalists: Chattanooga claimed both individual titles as Reese Scobey (Notre Dame) shot 70 and won in a one-hole playoff and Bethany Burns (Signal Mountain) had a winning round of 75.

State Champs From Region 4 A-AA: Signal Mountain girls won team titles, 2009-10-11-12 … Notre Dame boys won it all in 2011 followed by Macon Co. in 2012. Region 4 was shutout in 2013.

* Boys Results: Macon County shot a 311 to edge defending region champ Notre Dame (315), while Signal Mountain (319) and Chattanooga Christian (321) were third and fourth in the six-team field.

“We started slow, but our guys kept their composure and played well down the stretch,†said Macon County coach Beverly Shoulders. "Our success over the years is due, in great part, to our strong junior high program."

The victorious Tigers, who won it all in 2012 and have won four straight district titles, were led by Jake Reeves (1-over 73) and Larken Whittenmore (3-over 75).

Medalist: Reese Scobey started fast with birdies on Nos. 1-2 and had five birdies and three bogies on the way to the 2-under 70 which was matched by Lake Johnson of Chattanooga Christian.

In the playoff, Scobey birdied, while Johnson hit his tee shot out of bounds and settled for par on the No.1 par 5.

“I feel really confident heading to the state and look forward to playing next week,†said Scobey who won a state juniors tournament at WillowBrook three weeks ago with a 72-67.

“Reese plays very consistent with a good round being in the mid 60s and a bad round only about 75 which still can give him a chance to win it all,†said Notre Dame coach Jeff Fisher who led the Irish to the boys state crown in 2011.

Individual State Qualifiers (4): 70 - Reese Scobye (ND), 70- Lake Johnson (Chattanooga Christian), 75 – Jordan Reynolds (Central Magnet) and 76 - Zac Bombassi (Notre Dame).

* Girls Results: Signal Mountain (166) was led by Burns’ 75, followed by Haley Buttram (91) and Taylor Gardner (94) and edged Goodpasture (172) by six strokes with Notre Dame placing third in the six-team field.

â€œOur players shot well today and we look forward to being back at Willowbrook with a shot at another team title,†said Signal Mountain coach Rodney Mitchell.

Medalist: “I feel I am playing really well and WillowBrook (state tournament course) is a good course for my game,â€said champion Burns who was a freshman on the 2012 title team. “The greens roll fast which I like and will hold my approach shots as well.â€

Individual State Qualifiers (4): 80 - Eva Jones (Goodpasture), 87 – Sydney Denney (Pickett Co.), 89 – Anna Beth Harris (Chattanooga Christian), 91 – Taylor Crouch (York Institute)

** Boys Team Results: 1 Macon County (311) 2 Notre Dame (315) 3 Signal Mtn (319) 4 Chattanooga Christian (321) 5. Central Magnet (332) 6. Goodpasture (345)  

Boys – Top 10
top 4 individual scorers not on region team champion Macon Co are state qualifiers

1 Reese Scobey (ND) 70  SQ (won on first playoff hole)

2 Lake Johnson (CCS) 70 SQ

3 Jake Reeves (Macon Co.) 73

4 Jordan Reynolds (Central Mag) 75 SQ

4 Larken Whittenmore (Macon Co.) 75

6 Zac Bombassi (ND) 76  SQ (won in a playoff for individual 4th place)

7 Scott Steven (CCS) 76

8 Jacob Bailey (SM) 78

9 Nick Baily (Goodpasture ) 78

10 Colton Miller (Central Mag) 78

** Girls Team Results: 1. Signal Mtn (166) 2. Goodpasture (172) 3. Notre Dame (185) 4 Central Magnet (196) 5. Picket County (207) 6. Macon Co. (215)

Girls – Top 10

top 4 individual scorers not on region team champion Macon Co are state qualifiers

1 Bethany Burns (SM) – 75  SQ  medalist

2 Eva Jones (Goodpasture)  - 80 SQ

3 Sydney Denney (Pickett Co) -  87 SQ

4 Anna Beth Harris (CCS) 89 SQ

5 Haley Buttram (Sig Mtn) 91

5 Taylor Crouch (York Inst.) 91

7 Raven West (Goodpasture) 92

8 Georgia Ann Ervin (ND) 94

8 Taylor Gardner (Sig Mtn) 94

10 Gracie Sandman (York Inst) 101

Boys Team Results

Macon County (311) -   1st