South Pittsburg vs Grundy (Moore man against that Bryant man)

Roy Dillard

Old Pirate says 1/2 of the season is in the books and 2-3 worksheet ain't what SP expected. The 2nd half starts out with a stiff challenge and most think is a must win if the Pirates have hopes of being above 500 come season's end. Recon it is time to start praying and hoping the players all stay healthy to have a shot.

OP, IMO SP could be 1 - 4 right now and it still wouldn't be time to hit the panic button.  Whitwell, Sequatchie and SP look to be close to even talent wise right now; SP played both on the road and wound up 1-1.  Hixson / Bell County were loses no matter how SP played this year. Remaining games for SP outside 1A competition are formidable.  I'm not a Murphy Fair reader like some posters; I figure Polk and Boyd are much better than their records show to this point.  MC is obviously good.  1-2 against those three opponents wouldn't be surprising.  Anything better would be a plus.  One thing is a given, this year SP needs all the talent they can muster on the field and contributing.  Still should make a respectable showing when 1A playoffs arrive.  Maybe Hixson / Bell County can be dropped next season and more realistic opponents  arranged.  Local teams should be more willing to schedule Pirates now that they have become mortal again. 

Ambassador you keep saying that like it would have been the unthinkable. I watched SP lose to Sequatchie when they could have easily won then squeak by Whitwell the next week in a game they probably should have lost. Whitwell isn't the awful and weak team they have been years past. They're actually decent this year. The Pirates, if they play well, could still win all their remaining games, with MC being the toughest. They probably won't, but they can. Grundy will be a real test this week. I won't be surprised if they beat SP, but expect the Pirates to find a way to get another win. Like the Whitwell game, fans should get their money's worth Friday night.

I agree with you NoHope. We have a chance in every game, but some are tougher than others. I've said several times Whitwell is improved and the coach is doing a good job. I watched the Sequatchie game as well. We had some chance to score more often, but so did the Indians. If Grundy's QB is healthy it will be a great game. If he is out then SP should win by 2-3 TDs. He is a very good player and passer. BTW it's great to have another old pirate like yourself back in the fold. We've missed you. I wish you could help teach this team some of the toughness you demonstrated back in the day while wearing the orange and black.

I agree with you NoHope. We have a chance in every game, but some are tougher than others. I've said several times Whitwell is improved and the coach is doing a good job. I watched the Sequatchie game as well. We had some chance to score more often, but so did the Indians. If Grundy's QB is healthy it will be a great game. If he is out then SP should win by 2-3 TDs. He is a very good player and passer. BTW it's great to have another old pirate like yourself back in the fold. We've missed you. I wish you could help teach this team some of the toughness you demonstrated back in the day while wearing the orange and black.

I ............. BTW it's great to have another old pirate like yourself back in the fold. We've missed you. I wish you could help teach this team some of the toughness you demonstrated back in the day while wearing the orange and black.

Thanks for the undeserved compliment Sir, but you have me confused with someone else. I didn't survive "Grasshopper" football. Broken arm, appendicitis, laziness and..........girls all combined to quash my chance at legend status.  I graduated in 1970 and that '69 bunch would have killed me in practice, let alone surviving the competition they faced each week.  However, if they had told me they intended to win the initial football state championship I'd probably hung on as waterboy or something just to have been a part of the show.  They are legends all.  Why someone don't post Youtube video of that team is beyond me.

If the Grundy QB don't play SP's chances improve significantly.  How many more Mainords does Grundy have in stock anyway. 

Well my opinion is this, South Pitt gets the win here with or without our QB. It takes a team effort for any win!! I agree with what Opie says, we haven't had a defense in years and we will never be better than mediocre as long as this staff is here. Ambassador you are wrong also, if GRUNDY was to pull out this win there's no reason he should keep his job. A win over a down south Pitt team shouldn't matter. He hasn't proven himself, period! It sounds like your feeling a little disappointed also in your coaching staff? My opinion is this, others might not agree but with this jr. Jacket team probably gonna stay undefeated with this coach, why not give him a chance with the players that's winning for him now? Is he our answer? Who knows friends, but let's give him a shot he's getting the job done now. Because when they come up under this Bryant regime its gonna be no different than the past 6 years we have had with him being head coach.

Edited by Beavcleaver

Well my opinion is this, South Pitt gets the win here with or without our QB. It takes a team effort for any win!! I agree with what Opie says, we haven't had a defense in years and we will never be better than mediocre as long as this staff is here. Ambassador you are wrong also, if GRUNDY was to pull out this win there's no reason he should keep his job. A win over a down south Pitt team shouldn't matter. He hasn't proven himself, period! It sounds like your feeling a little disappointed also in your coaching staff? My opinion is this, others might not agree but with this jr. Jacket team probably gonna stay undefeated with this coach, why not give him a chance with the players that's winning for him now? Is he our answer? Who knows friends, but let's give him a shot he's getting the job done now. Because when they come up under this Bryant regime its gonna be no different than the past 6 years we have had with him being head coach.

I'm not disappointed in our staff. They are the coaches and know what the team needs. Sure, at times I have wondered why a few other guys aren't on the field, but guess what? It's not my place to make those decisions. This is the weakest SP team you will have seen since the 2004 team, but its not our coaches fault. We don't have quite the talent we have been accustomed to wearing the orange and black lately.

I'm not disappointed in our staff. They are the coaches and know what the team needs. Sure, at times I have wondered why a few other guys aren't on the field, but guess what? It's not my place to make those decisions. This is the weakest SP team you will have seen since the 2004 team, but its not our coaches fault. We don't have quite the talent we have been accustomed to wearing the orange and black lately.

See that's where we differ up in GRUNDY. This is the best talent we have seen up here in years, the past 2 or 3 seasons. I used to try and say the same things you are ambassador but after all these years and with nothing any better. This is as far and best as GRUNDY football will ever be with the Bryant's here.

Beaver you have to be careful what you wish for. How lucrative is it on the mountain? With Coach Bryant you have a coach that is dedicated and probably isn't planning on leaving. If you start getting people on from out of town with no ties to the program it could become a revolving door. That could have an even greater impact.