William Blount @ Jefferson County

Governm

WB is the biggest school in blount county by a few hundred. So why haven't we won a goldball yet? School size don't mean squat. Maybe the good athletes at Jeff Co don't come out for football or something.

School size DOES matter to an extent. It's what you do with it that counts. I'll bet a lot of the good athletes in the WB feeder programs end up going to Maryville or Alcoa. Oh, and coaching is also a factor.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff County football is all a political game now. If you're not friends with Scott Walker (principal) or big fatty Randy Rogers (AD), you'll get run out of there, and it's not just football. Their last good coach was Scott Meadows in 2002 & 2003.

WB in a close one 28-21[/quote

Never have truer words been spoken. There are a multitude of coaches who played for Kisabeth out there. When Cobble was hired, 1 of those guys interviewed for the job. That 1 was Joe Case, who worked for Walker at MoWest. No Mark Cagle, George Quarrels. Joe Case. Enough said

I'll just come and out and say it even though I know i'll take flak for it.lol I'm just calling it like I see it. IMO WB has had better athletes than JC every year we have played them going back to 09. We haven't won in this series since 2010. It's always been a pretty close game and Jeff county usually comes out on top because they have been more disciplined and prepared.

WB is the biggest school in blount county by a few hundred. So why haven't we won a goldball yet? School size don't mean squat. Maybe the good athletes at Jeff Co don't come out for football or something. But based off of what I have seen they don't appear to be a team that could be a contender in 6A.

91 WB has to compete with Heritage, Maryville, AND Alcoa for talent. As Alcoabasketball said Jeff County is the ONLY school in that county. Comparing WB's situation to JC's situation is not even comparable in the remotest sense.

Never have truer words been spoken. There are a multitude of coaches who played for Kisabeth out there. When Cobble was hired, 1 of those guys interviewed for the job. That 1 was Joe Case, who worked for Walker at MoWest. No Mark Cagle, George Quarrels. Joe Case. Enough said

GQ might have interviewed for the purpose of double dipping, just to check it out since it's his alma mater.

Joe Case would have been Choice #1 for me, given what he's done with West Greene with what little he has to work with.

GQ might have interviewed for the purpose of double dipping, just to check it out since it's his alma mater.

Joe Case would have been Choice #1 for me, given what he's done with West Greene with what little he has to work with.

Quarles is a prominent name in Jeff Co. Also it seemed like every time we played them back in the day they had a guy with the last name Tarr on their team haha

Yep and in the 80's the big names were Collins and Quarles. And in the late 90's, Ricky Upton (current Maryville assistant) was the lone bright spot.

Upton!!! Did you happen to see the 1997 game between OR/JC @ OR? My good friend Matt Smith for OR #6 on that team lit Ricky up!!! lol They threw a screen to Upton and Smitty read it perfectly and came up and laid a huge lick on Upton which set the tone for that game. Smitty weighed a whopping 165 soaking wet, but he would lay the wood to you.

Upton!!! Did you happen to see the 1997 game between OR/JC @ OR? My good friend Matt Smith for OR #6 on that team lit Ricky up!!! lol They threw a screen to Upton and Smitty read it perfectly and came up and laid a huge lick on Upton which set the tone for that game. Smitty weighed a whopping 165 soaking wet, but he would lay the wood to you.

Haven't seen it, but if you have it feel free to post it on YouTube. All I've seen of that game was Joe Gaddis pregame speech (which showed a few clips of that game when he was talking). It was the video looking back on the Gaddis era.

Edited by AlcoaBasketball