Week 5: Meigs County at McMinn Central

BigDave1967

MC's defense stepped up when they had to and saved the game.

Yes BigDave.  Going against a well run wing T takes a lot of discipline and assignment football.  It is hard to be patient on the D-line sometimes.  We had opportunities to finish this game offensively.  Moved the ball consistantly, then silliyness crept in.  I will not fault anyone though cause a win is a win.  That is why sometimes Kentucky takes Florida into 3 overtimes.  Some teams just have trouble with certain teams.  For the Chargers it has always been Polk. 

Getting back to Meigs, they are on the right path.  This used to be our achillis heel team back in the day.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes BigDave.  Going against a well run wing T takes a lot of discipline and assignment football.  It is hard to be patient on the D-line sometimes.  We had opportunities to finish this game offensively.  Moved the ball consistantly, then silliyness crept in.  I will not fault anyone though cause a win is a win.  That is why sometimes Kentucky takes Florida into 3 overtimes.  Some teams just have trouble with certain teams.  For the Chargers it has always been Polk. 

Getting back to Meigs, they are on the right path.  This used to be our achillis heel team back in the day.

Meigs will fight hard but MC will be just too much

I know Central had a tough time getting non-district games a few years ago so I am sure they play whoever was willing....smaller schools on this end of the state have a hard time filling schedules....not that central is as small as Basin or Tellico but you have to play and sometimes the weeks you have open only have a few to choose from and yes it is tough to play down and get better but these guys are going against each other during the week and improving. I also would much rather play down and win to help your playoff matrix then play Alcoa, Fulton, or Maryville and get trashed.....Central has some good coaches and some good players and should do well the rest of the year....silently rooting for the Chargers!

Meigs is much improved.  Give these MC boys a break.  How many times have you seen this in high school football, and college for that matter.  Polk wanted this game, and MC was playing not to lose.  Felt the boys were a little tight.  However, them boys were hittin like nobody's business.  I look to see Meigs put up a heck of a fight.  They are well coached and have some talent.  I do look for the Chargers to get back to their bread and butter and control this one in the end.

Did your son tell you why the coaches felt they needed to revamp the offense for Polk Co? In the postgame radio interview, someone said Central had put in a lot of new offensive plays and then he admitted that none of them worked. I couldn't figure out why they left the bread & butter that had been very successful so far this season. Polk had given up about 26 points a game in their 3 losses and those losses were to teams that are a combined 6-7, so it's not like Polk's defense should have caused us to change what had been working for us.

Meigs finally got a good coach and they do have some talent, but not nearly as much talent and game experience that we do. A couple weeks ago their coach said his biggest challenge this season was teaching them what it took to win.

Edited by Glory

Did your son tell you why the coaches felt they needed to revamp the offense for Polk Co? In the postgame radio interview, someone said Central had put in a lot of new offensive plays and then he admitted that none of them worked. I couldn't figure out why they left the bread & butter that had been very successful so far this season. Polk had given up about 26 points a game in their 3 losses and those losses were to teams that are a combined 6-7, so it's not like Polk's defense should have caused us to change what had been working for us.

No, he did not tell me they put in new stuff, however I know most teams build throughout the year.  I think our bread and butter is just fine.  I think you will see a lot of it this coming Friday.

No, he did not tell me they put in new stuff, however I know most teams build throughout the year.  I think our bread and butter is just fine.  I think you will see a lot of it this coming Friday.

I agree with you that what we were doing prior to the Polk game was successful, and I'm glad we're going back to it. Adding a few offensive wrinkles that exposes an opponent's defensive weakness is common, but never abandon what got you where you are.

I agree with you that what we were doing prior to the Polk game was successful, and I'm glad we're going back to it. Adding a few offensive wrinkles that exposes an opponent's defensive weakness is common, but never abandon what got you where you are.

Sometimes it all about execution.  Some of the stuff was there, but boys did not execute.  I have watched the film.  The score could have easily been a three touchdown victory.  I will not take anything away from Polks effort though.  That being said, I think we will be faster than Meigs.  I also think that they will tire out quicker.  We have got to keep the pressure on!!!!!!!!!!!

The score could have easily been a three touchdown victory. 

You're correct, it could have very easily been a three touchdown victory.. either way! But at least now we know the difference in a "up" Central team and a "down" Polk team is a couple missed extra points!!

Coaches sometimes out think themselves.

You guys have a sledgehammer of a tailback (#3),,,,, SWING IT!!!

You're correct, it could have very easily been a three touchdown victory.. either way! But at least now we know the difference in a "up" Central team and a "down" Polk team is a couple missed extra points!!

Charlie, I meant no disrespect.  Your boys played hard, like normal.  I told people Polk was better than what people think.  This is a true testement to the saying your record does not always indicate who you are.  I know there is an injury, and I hope the young man is back sooner than later.  Polk could potentially win out.

Difference is 0-4 vs. 5-0 imo. Tifwiw...Central played their worst polk finally played like polk can but their best still wasn't good enough. A polk win might have been good for both teams though. Seems like CHS is over confident