Dekalb 17 Watertown 0

onemoreday

playerscoach, I agree that getting up near 20 goals is overly excessive, but you can get close to 10 very easily even with the numerous precautions that are taken. Personally seeing how embarrased a team was by not touching the ball due to possession changed my opinion on a lot of things. Sure, you can dump it back to them and work on defending, but some of these teams don't have players that can even dribble a ball. I only intended to point out how hard of a situation that is, as I'm sure you know. Thanks again.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand SoccerinTN. Sometimes it's very difficult to manage a game. Heck, barring injury, my daughter would have a great opportunity to break the state goals record if her coach didn't shut her down after three goals against the very weak competition we play. However, I'm glad she does it because it sends the wrong message to the other team, her teammates, and others.

At the end of the day coaches should take ego out of the equation and do everything possible to keep from embarrassing kids.

It's funny how "fans" all the way from East Tennessee, can judge sportsmanship when they haven't seen either team play? DeKalb has 15 girls on their team. So all the talks of playing your JV team, must be nice to have 30 players on your team. I guarantee the Watertown coach would agree that there was not much that could have been done differently to reduce the score. DeKalb had their most experienced four girls on the bench with his leading goal scorer as goalie.

People need to realize there is a lot more than meets the eye in these games. I have been a part of games like that as a player and spectator, and they can be hard to avoid and I'll tell you why. Every 10-0+ game I have seen or played in, the starters were played 0 minutes. The JV started and by 20-25 minutes into the game, the players who hardly get minutes in JV games were on the field. That is in addition to pulling 2-3 players off the field in the course of the game and intentionally playing down in addition to cutting the halves down minutes. And 9-0+ plus still happens. You may say, well, just pass the ball around. I was on a team that did that. The opposing 11 players on the other team actually sat down on the field because they couldn't get the ball in a high school game. The coach said to our coach after that that was far more embarrassing for his players than any amount of goals we could have scored, but he understood what we did by not continuing to score. Sure, there are games where a team will play its starters and win like that and it is appalling to me. But, there is the reverse where a coach truly tries to avoid it. And is passing the ball around honestly much better? It's like playing a 80 minute monkey in the middle game, which isn't flattering either.

In addition to the games mentioned, I looked at the euro tennessee state rankings. Most of the higher ranked teams have some scores like that. Houston has two 10-0 wins. Ravenwood has a 15-0 win. Clarksville has two 10-0 wins. Franklin has an 11-0. Hardin Valley has the 17-0 mentioned. Knox catholic has a 10-0. USJ has a 10-0 and a 13-0. And honestly, I probably could continue. Looks like a lot of bullies on the block, as well as a lot of coaches that it does happen to, and good ones at that. My point is that this happens A LOT and should be judged on a case to case basis. It took me less than a minute to find those from a single season, so over the years I'm sure it has happened quite often. Don't be so quick to judge coaches like that, it is very harsh and unfair IMO.

There were comments that were referencing teams being bullies based on the score with no knowledge of how the game went. I still hold my point. My point is that in the AAA rankings, 5 of the 6 top teams have 10-0 or greater games. It happens a lot. I played in games where we started with 9 players (your suggestion), all JV at that, and it was 5-0 in 15 mins. These were teams we knew were poor ahead of time and left the scoreboard off in order to take time away and so they wouldn't have running knowledge of the score. So again, do you pull off more players, tell them to keep possession, or continue to score? All would be pretty embarrassing for me if I was on an opposing team (playing against 7 players and still losing, not touching the ball for an hour) and have been found to be embarrassing. If a coach has played his JV the whole game, reduced his players to 7-8 on the field, requested that the halves be shortened and a lopsided score still occurs, what else do you want the coach to honestly do? A scoreline isn't the only embarrassing thing that can occur on a soccer field.

playerscoach, I agree that getting up near 20 goals is overly excessive, but you can get close to 10 very easily even with the numerous precautions that are taken. Personally seeing how embarrased a team was by not touching the ball due to possession changed my opinion on a lot of things. Sure, you can dump it back to them and work on defending, but some of these teams don't have players that can even dribble a ball. I only intended to point out how hard of a situation that is, as I'm sure you know. Thanks again.

It's funny how "fans" all the way from East Tennessee, can judge sportsmanship when they haven't seen either team play? DeKalb has 15 girls on their team. So all the talks of playing your JV team, must be nice to have 30 players on your team. I guarantee the Watertown coach would agree that there was not much that could have been done differently to reduce the score. DeKalb had their most experienced four girls on the bench with his leading goal scorer as goalie.

go to the District 1& 2 High Scoring Drama thread and defend tonight's district playoff scores that Jefferson County, Greeneville and Science Hill put up :popcorneater: 2 of these are major repeat offenders....

Booger, I am not trying to atone for or defend blowouts being okay. I am simply trying to point out that there are more things behind those games that the scoreboards don't tell. Someone mentioned there are plenty of teams and coaches that have never done it. Sure, I agree there are. But the top 5 teams in the state all have at least 10-0 wins. In AAA alone, 10 of the top 11 ranked teams have 8-0+ wins. Again, it happens all the time to a lot of people. I am not in the know about teams that are repeat offenders, but I'll bite on Science Hill and I bet this will go for a lot of them. Science Hill, being in Johnson City, isn't an area littered with soccer talent. Most of the players that are somewhat talented attend science hill. What does that leave for the rest of the area? The drop off in talent for teams they are playing is huge( it's actually probably beyond huge). So big that often times playing your JV, if they are fortunate enough to have one, and a few players down still could result in a lopsided score. Or you could embarrass them other ways by not letting them touch the ball or what have you. I'm clearly the only person, or one of a few, posting who feels this way.

I would bet that the majority of repeat offenders are in areas of the state where talent dropoff between the top team and the others is massive. That may or may not be true but that is a trend with the three teams you mentioned. You may have never experienced a game like that, but there are teams who have players that would strike out batting in kickball. This makes playing a soccer game against them very interesting.

And that's one reason why there should be more classifications in high school soccer. Too many examples of teams that share divisions with other teams but have no hope of competing. The trick is how you classify teams. It needs to go beyond simple enrollment. Maybe there's some way to adopt a club system, where teams earn the right, or even volunteer, to play within certain classifications--kind of a gold team, red team, black team approach.

I was previously coaching in Georgia and loved the system that they incorporated for high school soccer matches. 

In the first half if a team got to 7 goals when the other team had not scored, the half ended and you played a shortened second half (I believe it was 20 mins).  At any point if either team had a ten goal advantage the game ended.   This prevented drawing out matches that were clearly over. 

I also think it helped prevent injuries to players.  I've seen far to many guy's matches that had an injury because a member of the losing team got frustrated and took out a player on the stronger team.  Still hoping they incorporate something similar here in Tennessee.

Booger, I am not trying to atone for or defend blowouts being okay. I am simply trying to point out that there are more things behind those games that the scoreboards don't tell. Someone mentioned there are plenty of teams and coaches that have never done it. Sure, I agree there are. But the top 5 teams in the state all have at least 10-0 wins. In AAA alone, 10 of the top 11 ranked teams have 8-0+ wins. Again, it happens all the time to a lot of people. I am not in the know about teams that are repeat offenders, but I'll bite on Science Hill and I bet this will go for a lot of them. Science Hill, being in Johnson City, isn't an area littered with soccer talent. Most of the players that are somewhat talented attend science hill. What does that leave for the rest of the area? The drop off in talent for teams they are playing is huge( it's actually probably beyond huge). So big that often times playing your JV, if they are fortunate enough to have one, and a few players down still could result in a lopsided score. Or you could embarrass them other ways by not letting them touch the ball or what have you. I'm clearly the only person, or one of a few, posting who feels this way.

I would bet that the majority of repeat offenders are in areas of the state where talent dropoff between the top team and the others is massive. That may or may not be true but that is a trend with the three teams you mentioned. You may have never experienced a game like that, but there are teams who have players that would strike out batting in kickball. This makes playing a soccer game against them very interesting.

bologna-003-400x300.jpg

you darn tootin there is more behind the scenes of a 21-0 blowout.

...another thing; if you cant control that one....YOU FIRED

Booger wude, obnoisy and gotta lotta hate; but that cat stank on it......I have no problem with 10-0 blow outs...thats just Booger....and I understand if that is my mark is 10; it can slip past it......I promise you, I can break the pace; and have done it.....I seen our coach do it tuesday night.......actually, Booger would give every enemy 10-0 if my girls would capable; even to my best friend.....someone may have a lower number; thats just Booger

Booger thankin another thang.....the mid to west part of the state ant doin to each other

...Boog just sayin

Haha, Booger I love the pic! I can't say I've ever seen 21-0. I never said teams don't run up scores. Some do without remorse or let up. I don't agree with that. I think Kee is spot on. There are teams that play that simply don't belong on the same field unfortunately.

Again, not condoning every blowout sorry if that was what came across. I highly doubt a team that scored 20 goals played the whole game with 7 or 8 field players. not gonna post more because I don't think your getting what I'm trying to say. Good luck the rest of the year.

We had a game against a team that has struggled with success historically. We were up 4-0 15 minutes in and led 7-1 at half time. All second half we played JV with one varsity player at midfield to help the younger guys out (the varsity player was taken out by the coach for scoring). Our all state goalie was replaced with a kid who had never played soccer before. Our two forwards were our starting goalie and centerback (together they only scored once). Also, we were instructed at half-time to support their players if they make a good pass or any thing of that sort. Were also told to give them little pieces of advice on how to improve form and such. The game could of been a much bigger blow out.

Haha, Booger I love the pic! I can't say I've ever seen 21-0. I never said teams don't run up scores. Some do without remorse or let up. I don't agree with that. I think Kee is spot on. There are teams that play that simply don't belong on the same field unfortunately.

Again, not condoning every blowout sorry if that was what came across. I highly doubt a team that scored 20 goals played the whole game with 7 or 8 field players. not gonna post more because I don't think your getting what I'm trying to say. Good luck the rest of the year.

Booger got what ya sayin :thumb: , you anit gettin what Booger sayin....And Thanks; our mid to offense is gonna need it