Week 7: Brentwood Academy at McCallie

BigDave1967

McCallie is a powerhouse and they've proven it the past two weeks. McCallie stays on the roll it's on by beating BA 45-24.

McCallie will score plenty of points, but I'd be shocked if it was a three-score game. Not sure who will win, but I'll put the over-under at 80 and the spread at single digits.

McCallie will score plenty of points, but I'd be shocked if it was a three-score game. Not sure who will win, but I'll put the over-under at 80 and the spread at single digits.

Wes - I have watched both BA and McCallie. Pulling for BA - but McCallie is that good. My guess is that it will be McCallie by three scores - 42 to 21 McCallie.

If mccallie wins out the rest of the year they will more than likely rank as one iof the best teams in d2 for some time and have a top 5-7 national ranking . Cal preps has mccallie ranked 17th nationally and if they beat BA they will move even higher.

Don't think I can agree with you on "one of the best d2 teams in a long time".  the defenses in D2 are worse than I have ever seen them since we moved here in 2009 and I began watching d2 play.  yes the offenses are good but defenses aren't close to what they were in yrs past.    

I agree with you about the defense Meritage. The year end rating ( and I am using the site that I like the most and quote often ) of Ensworth last year was 64.2. McCallie currently has a 69.3 rating - highest in the state and rightfully so. They have beaten 3 previously undefeated and top 65 teams nationally with 2 ranked in the top 30 at the time.  

If you take the top 5 teams from last year in D2 (central /east) we averaged a rating of 51.1. This year the top 5 teams average 58.24. To put that in the proper perspective I looked at Ohio and took the Catholic League South schools and threw in St Edwards who was ranked number 1 nationally until a loss to Elder. LaSalle, Moeller, St Xavier, Elder and St Edwards average out 60.1. If you just look at the catholic league south's 4 teams stacked up against our top 4 ...the teams in d2 are rated higher.

I am not so sure Ensworth is down so much as I am thinking the league is up after looking at the data. Our league is ranked number 4 nationally if you compare d2 to the other leagues around the country and the strength of schedule is ranked 4th as well. 

If McCallie wins out by beating BA, Ryan ( who is also up this year versus last ) MBA and likely one of the top 5 teams we talk about here........then I am not sure you can't include them in the conversation. They seem to be playing better offense and defense than anyone in the league at this moment. There is still a lot of football left and I hope a healthier BA will be somewhat of a game changer but I just could not find another year where we had so many teams ranked so high and so much parity within the division.

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

I agree with you about the defense Meritage. The year end ranking ( and I am using the site that I like the most and quote often ) of Ensworth last year was 64.2. McCallie currently has a 69.3 rating - highest in the state and rightfully so. They have beaten 3 previously undefeated and top 65 teams nationally with 2 ranked in the top 30 at the time.  

If you take the top 5 teams from last year in D2 (central /east) we averaged a rating of 51.1. This year the top 5 teams average 58.24. To put that in the proper perspective I looked at Ohio and took the Catholic League South schools and threw in St Edwards who was ranked number 1 nationally until a loss to Elder. LaSalle, Moeller, St Xavier, Elder and St Edwards average out 60.1. If you just look at the catholic league south's 4 teams stacked up against our top 4 ...the teams in d2 are rated higher.

I am not so sure Ensworth is down so much as I am thinking the league is up after looking at the data. Our league is ranked number 4 nationally if you compare d2 to the other leagues around the country and the strength of schedule is ranked 4th as well. 

If McCallie wins out by beating BA, Ryan ( who is also up this year versus last ) MBA and likely one of the top 5 teams we talk about here........then I am not sure you can't include them in the conversation. They seem to be playing better offense and defense than anyone in the league at this moment. There is still a lot of football left and I hope a healthier BA will be somewhat of a game changer but I just could not find another year where we had so many teams ranked so high and so much parity within the division.

Interesting data points.  I sure agree with you on the "parity" and the fact that there are no easy games in the division. Week after week after week you need to bring your A game. Toughest scheds in the state and its not close.  As we always said to our boys and daughter when they were (and one still is) playing various sports at BA, the playoffs are the deal. Anyone can indeed win it this yr esp if someone finds a way to play just a little defense. Not a good yr for a punter to show off their skills for college scouts - pretty boring for them.   Some great games ahead.       

Wes - I have watched both BA and McCallie. Pulling for BA - but McCallie is that good. My guess is that it will be McCallie by three scores - 42 to 21 McCallie.

I've seen McCallie on film but not in person, so I'll defer to your knowledge. Craig is a dynamic quarterback and has many weapons, and I suspect they'll score 35-plus. The game I saw on film was the JPII game, in which the Knights moved the ball quite effectively on the Tornado in the first half. Based on that defensive display, I have to think the Eagles will be able to put up a lot of points, too.

I've seen McCallie on film but not in person, so I'll defer to your knowledge. Craig is a dynamic quarterback and has many weapons, and I suspect they'll score 35-plus. The game I saw on film was the JPII game, in which the Knights moved the ball quite effectively on the Tornado in the first half. Based on that defensive display, I have to think the Eagles will be able to put up a lot of points, too.

McCallie is vastly improved on defense - not great by any means, but much improved since they played JPII.  BA will score some points - the question is, will they outscore McCallie's crazy good offense?  Since it's a home game for the blue tornado, I say no.

BA 27 McCallie 41