2014 Memphis Tigers - What do you think?

kwc

This is Justine Fuente's 3rd season and it is October 6, 2014 as I type this and the Memphis Tigers are 3-2 on the season with three (3) impressive victories over Austin Peay (63-0), Middle Tenn State (36-17), and the latest being over Cincinnatti (41-14). The two losses came at the hands of then ranked #11 team in the county, UCLA, @ UCLA (42-35),and then ranked # 10 team in the country, Ole Miss (24-3). UCLA lost this past Saturday to Utah (30-28). Today, Ole Miss is still unbeaten. Ole Miss just defeated the #3 team in the country, Alabama, this past Saturday (23-17).

I must say that I'm very impressed. Memphis has a terrific chance to go 10-2 just by looking at the remainder of their schedule. The remainder of their schedule is as follows:

Sat., Oct. 11, Hosting Univ. of Houston (2-3, 0-1)

Sat., Oct. 25, @ SMU (0-5, 0-1)

Fri., Oct 31, hosting Tulsa (1-4, 1-0)

Fri., Nov. 7, @ Temple (3-1, 1-0)

Sat., Nov. 15. @ Tulane (1-4, 0-1)

Sat., Nov. 22, hosting South Florida (2-3, 1-0)

Sat. Nov. 29, hosting Uconn (1-4, 0-2)

The one game that looks like it could be an issue right now is the game at Temple. It doesn't look overwhelming by any stretch of the imagination, but right now, that's the only team on the schedule that currently is on the plus side of 0.500.

I can't EVER remember the University of Memphis EVER being in this position in my lifetime. I know the team has to concentrate on 'one game at a time'. but the fans do not. I think 10-2 is reasonable, considering how this team has performed. Considering. the UCLA game saw us play without our best DL. That DL did not play in the Ole Miss game, along with the fact that we lost our 1st string and 2nd string RB in the Ole Miss game. (The Ole Miss game was 7-3, until late in the 4th quarter ,,, that Ole Miss 'D' is one of the best in the country)

All of that being said ... what does everybody think?

Edited by kwc

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Memphis goes to the Birmingham Bowl and plays Kentucky. I'll have to pick the Mildcats over Tiger High in that matchup.

When is the last time UK was 4-1 going into the October 11th week end? I'm not going to assume that UK wins that game. I think that the U of M is a whole lot better ten most non-Memphians want to give them credit for. It would be a great stage for Memphis to make a statement.

Edited by kwc

When is the last time UK was 4-1 going into the October 11th week end? I'm not going to assume that UK wins that game. I think that the U of M is a whole lot better ten most non-Memphians want to give them credit for. It would be a great stage for Memphis to make a statement.

I think UK goes 7-5 at the very least(They'll lose a tough one to a Music City bound Tennessee team in Knoxville)while I think Memphis goes 8-4 or 9-3. I'd like to see Tennessee play Memphis again

Edited by BigDave1967

I think UK goes 7-5 at the very least(They'll lose a tough one to a Music City bound Tennessee team in Knoxville)while I think Memphis goes 8-4 or 9-3. I'd like to see Tennessee play Memphis again

Let's just assume for conversation sake, the U of M goes 10-2. Do you still think they go to the Birmingham Bowl? Where does the winner of the American go?

Let's just assume for conversation sake, the U of M goes 10-2. Do you still think they go to the Birmingham Bowl? Where does the winner of the American go?

I think the Liberty Bowl would invite the winner of the American or CUSA to play an SEC team. I think Temple will beat Memphis so I lean toward Temple winning the American conference. I think the Liberty will invite either Temple,Memphis or UAB(East Carolina will win CUSA and go to the Tournament)to play LSU,Kentucky or Tennessee

Edited by BigDave1967

Memphis should be playing Mississippi State and Tennessee as well as Ole Miss every season.

Ole Miss, yeah, the other 2 schools, Nah... For Memphis to go to the next level they should get those Big Pay Days from the Pac 12, Big 10 and ACC as well. UT could be switched with Ole Miss on Occasion as long as they go Home and Home Like Ole Miss does.

Ole Miss, yeah, the other 2 schools, Nah... For Memphis to go to the next level they should get those Big Pay Days from the Pac 12, Big 10 and ACC as well. UT could be switched with Ole Miss on Occasion as long as they go Home and Home Like Ole Miss does.

Why was the series stopped between UT and Memphis? Was it because UT didn't want to go to Memphis?

Idk. I'm sure there's an article about it out there... UT probably cancelled like they did with UNC.

It's good to see Memphis getting better in the American Conference. Hopefully the Vols and Tigers will play one day in the future(I'd rather the Vols play Memphis on Homecoming this Saturday than Chattanooga).

Edited by BigDave1967