Question for Coaches and parents

bigbluevolley

K2..I don't disagree with you on much but this one I do. The high school coaches are not replying because they (except for the AC coach so far) don't check on there players. Thats why theres no tradition and thats why girls are on the fence to play. The girls at AC are not on the fence. They want to play for their coach because its a family. That's how it should be. K2R you said yourself that club is where you get ready for the next level not high school. Especially not here. The silence is of all others exceopt for AC tell the tail.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

K2R. This has everything to do with being a GREAT High School coach. High school coaches are teachers who should care about their players. Establish relationships with them and build a family environment to create tradition (like BBV says). All we parents hear from the high school coaches around here are. You need to play High School. It's a "great" experience. You are playing for your school. We also hear, "why does your club director tell you not to play".

I have contacted 3 people that played at Bearden over the last 3 years. ALL of them. I said ALL of them told me their coach has yet to contact them to see how things are going. Their coach has yet to contact their parents to see how their daughters are doing. I'll say it againThe coach has not once contacted the girls to see how things are going. These girls made a positive influence on the Bearden program. They created no trouble. One (in the words of my daughter) coached them and taught them more than the paid coach did.This is why girls don't want to play High School. This is why most are on the fence and then get guilted in to playing. If the coach created an environment like AC they would have 3 teams at each high school. How great would that be.

The club directors have contacted the girls many times to see how they were doing and asked them if they needed anything. That's why the girls want to play club.

So lets hear some stories from parents of college players where their high school coach has contacted them. Surely the Bearden coach has. Or am I right when I say he has an agenda and could care less about his graduates. Surely there is one.

But why care, it didn't help AC beat Bearden, or Catholic beat CAK. Teams that play club win regardless who the coach is. Why care about keeping up with old players? They are gone. The coach isn't paid to be their friend.

The picture incident is the Bearden coach in a nut shell. Wait till you see the one of his daughter that I bet will come. Also, does the CAK ever not put the focus on him?

People want to play for a winner, not a family.

K2Ruth. You are totally correct that the picture minus one player is the coach in a nutshell. How a coach could do the is unbelievable.

The players DO want to play for a coach that reaches out. A coach that does that will eventually develope a winning program (if they don't already have one). Yes EVERYONE likes to win team unity and reaching out to alumni are big. AC may be down this year but they are young. They will be back again. They have very little club (if not any) players and they continue to win. That's because of what their administartion and coaches have built.

People want to play for a winner and family. Just by default isn't it the right thing to do. I guess if you really care for your players it is. If you don't care then its not.

As far as BHS coach keeping in contact, all I know is 3 past BHS players are working or have worked for kva coaching. I know of two for sure he keeps in regular contact with at college and another one drove from college to come to our game against FHS last week and even sat on the bench before play and afterwards jumped in the photos in support of our players and coach. 

There are relationships with those who want it. Not all do, for example the player PhillyAl mentioned.

I'm trying to figure out who the 3 PhillyAl could be thinking of besides the one I mentioned.

This is only his 3rd year at BHS so only has 2 years of past players that would be in college.

Only 2 players TOTAL from BHS have even gone to college to play volleyball. 

4 seniors from 2013 season of which 3/4 don't play vb in college, but he has contact with 2 of them just about school not volleyball.  One is the one PhillyAl mentioned and he doesn't have contact with her I don't think.

From the infamous 2012 pic.I only count 4 seniors. Of those only ONE who plays vb in college.

He keeps in regular contact with her thru email back and forth. He and his family attended one of her games and was invited back to her house for a family party afterwards.

of the 3 non vb players that year: One is in track in college and he keeps up with her. One works at KVA. And the 4th in college in NY came to watch a BHS game this season while home.

The other 2 KVA assistant coaches/former BHS players I mentioned in other post were from the year before he coached BHS, when he was just a freshman players' parent.  They occasionally would come to practice and join in this season too.

Edited by Knoxdoyles