8-AA Girls

uknow22

Sad day when Jackson Co has only one game against their former district rivals in a HOF game against Macon Co. This is the first year with no game against Livingston this year for the first time in forever. Upperman dropped off a couple years ago. Miss those games.

Any idea why Jackson co. decided to drop LA from their schedule? This has always been a great rivalry with good crowds.

Any idea why Jackson co. decided to drop LA from their schedule? This has always been a great rivalry with good crowds.

Jackson county did not drop LA.  LA did not want to schedule until it completed its district schedule, which is understandable.  After scheduling their district games they called JC and offered 2 dates.  JC already had games on those dates and counteroffered with 5 or 6 dates.  LA said they were not playing if they could not play on the dates they wanted.  So, it was not JC who dropped LA. 

Guest AllBlue

Jackson county did not drop LA.  LA did not want to schedule until it completed its district schedule, which is understandable.  After scheduling their district games they called JC and offered 2 dates.  JC already had games on those dates and counteroffered with 5 or 6 dates.  LA said they were not playing if they could not play on the dates they wanted.  So, it was not JC who dropped LA. 

so neither school could agree on dates. no droppage anywhere

Mostly everything I'm reading about the coaching and program seems to be true. We just don't work like you see these state contenders from our district work. Our practices are somewhat of a joke and the coach is too much of a joke around I'm your best friend type. That's a lot of people's opinion.

Another major thing that hurts our girls program that we don't see in the boys program is players leaving before high school.

I can count off the top of my head several great players that went to dekalb schools all the way until they got out of 8th grade and then they moved and went to another high school. It's because ours has had such a terrible reputation for so long. And quite frankly its true. If you don't wanna smoke marijuana or get pregnant it seems like you're just not the cool kid.

As far as academics we are so far behind in that as well. We just now started trying to get some dual enrollment and AP classes going, but compared to most schools it's still laughable. I've heard so many parents at games say they are embarrassed that others have to come see our school and athletic facilities. Once again I can't disagree with them. We are just way behind the times.

Truth sucks, but there it is. People just don't want their kids going here that are serious about their future. I can think of in just the last few years we had two girls that started at gordonsville, one that started at Sparta, one that started for Webb, and that's just off the top of my head in this last two or three years of 8th graders moving up to high school an leaving dekalb.

Can you imagine softball if we could keep them here? We went to state last year. Add them and we have a shot a winning it all.

I have heard enough of that!  Let me tell you the truth about OUR program.  

Those girls are working harder and longer than they have ever worked.  They have not wasted one minute of time.  They began practice at 12:01 on the very first day they were eligible to practice.  They slept a few hours following that practice. They had breakfast together as a team, and they practiced again after breakfast.  When they do not have access to the gym after school, they drag themselves out of bed at 5:30 (A.M.), and they are on the floor practicing by 6:00 (A.M.).  So, while you are sleeping, they are working!!  I also know for a fact that they work hard outside of practice as well! Just so you know, one of those girls spent 2 hours this past Sunday working on her skills with her summer coach.  She also spent an hour working with her shooting coach.  I know for a fact that is true because I paid for those sessions!!  What did you do on Sunday? 

That same kid does not take a summer break. She spends that time playing basketball in another state.  She does not "go out" on the weekends to have an opportunity to get pregnant or smoke pot!! Where is your kid?

I know for a fact that academics is strong.  AP classes have been available to those kids for years.  In fact, they have so much access to AP classes that we had a kid graduate from college this past year BEFORE she graduated high school. I also know for a fact that one of the kids on the team now has a 4.5 on a 4.0 scale.  I sign her report card too!

As far as the coach goes... quite frankly, I wanted to see for myself what he does because I read what you wrote, so I went to practice unannounced, and guess what I found? I found him running defense against the starters.  He didn't have a phone in his hand as you have reported.  The practices are open.  Go see it before you speak again!

As far as the schedule goes, I don't invite others to watch games that are not competitive because their game skills can only be evaluated when the competition is equivalent.  However, it has nothing to do with the facilities!  I do agree that our kids need to play teams that make them work for every point they score and every rebound they pull down, and they have done that in summer camp and pre-season, and get this... they beat all but two of them! I do not have a problem with a few games being on the schedule that are not quite as competitive because I would rather not wait until the underclassmen are seniors to expose them to the floor.

What else would you like to complain about? I will be more than happy to research that for you too.

I'm not sure about all your statements; they typically have some good teams and elite players come through every few years. I'm mainly familiar with the Clark girl; she's most likely a scholarship softball player. LA should just count your blessings that you have a larger student enrollment and don't play in 7A with your neighbors.

LA makes it a point to schedule home & aways against both 7a powerhouses! You should also be glad not to face them in tourney play.

Most teams in this district have played a game and done good.Some play tonight and some play friday. a couple will get gut checks. L.a. is at stone,could be good for about one quater. C.C. plays franklin county.ill take cannon.upperman has a big win under their belt against westmoreland,who had a sub-state game last year. upperman plays jp2 next. this could be a good one and another test for upperman.Smith went down against white county but look for them to be back strong.macon won against gordonsville not a true test but they got one coming up against jackson. Jackson will win big and have starters out before the 4th starts.Central mag is taking care of business,they will play riverdale and get a real test.

Actually, you are incorrect, but I do think she would agree with me that he is making a huge effort to do right by the girls.  I know you were not the one who made the comment about the girls'  reputations, but I am glad you acknowledged Maggie's values because it brings up a good point.  The team has more than one good kid.