Prayers for Collinwood community

alumni1

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you talk of the all time Cwood greats, he's near the top! Great player and a better person.

Hated to hear about this tragic incident!   I didn't know him personaly but I know he was a very good football player and coach, and I understand from what I've been told, an even better  person!This was a local guy that I played against back in the day and it hits close to home and I just want to send prayers to his family from all of Wayne Co.!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I was blessed to coach Jake his Senior year. He was runner-up for Mr.Football, 1a , Walked on at Memphis State,, earned a scholarship his Sophomore year./// During that time "Walkouts" were the rage .. olayers walking out of practice because of issues with the coaches,, There was one at Memphis state in 1992... All but 12 players walked out... Jake Called me and Said" I told the guys walking out that I respect their decisions, but please respect mine.. coach stobart gave me a scholarship. and Coach Doty would kick my *** ...lol" one of my favorite phone calls ever.. Jake went on to coach at Covington as asst,. coach . soon was elevated to head coach where he had a 43-10 record with a state runner -up to Fulton.. Jake want from Covington to Russellville alabama where David Ward (his coach for 2 years at collinwood) was baseball coach.. The last time i saw him was at the Lawrenceburg Fair in the Fall of 05 or 06,, I had my son with me who was 10 at the time .. Jake talked to him like he was a 5 star prospect and told him a couple of stories about the time he played for me..Later Jake coached at Wilson alabama,,Tipton Rosemark ,but finally settled in as asst. At perennial power Deshler in Tuscumbia alabama for 4 years. Last spring, he was named head coach under very difficult circumstances in the firing of the head coach that had hired him.. He refused to take position without the ok from coach mothershed.. He was well on his way this season and in years coming to be in the Alabama Hall of fame just like hid hero and idle Bill doty who coached him all 4 years at Collinwood... How do I know all this ? I was there for much of it and always checked scores friday nights and Saturdays to see "how Jake.s team did" ... Jake had an influence on so many people and was such a good man from a wonderful family and community that will ALWAYS love Jake,, I read the papers, heard all the rumors about Jakes Death , and honestly , Idk whay to think, believe..etc.. I know in my heart about all the good that was in Jake and all the people he took to places they would have never gone without him because I wasone of them. I just thjank God i was blessed to know him and somewhere Coach Doty looking at Jake , shaking his head, and saying,, "You're here way too early Jake , But come on in and let's see what the boss man has in mind for you here" :'(  Jake was like a son to me , and this is still and always will be tearing me up inside..I will continue to read , continue to look at coachT daily. but I am done posting .. Thanks to all the people who went to funeral home offered prayers or shed a tear on behalf of Jake's mom and Dad , his wife and his 2 precious daughters ages 13 and 11 whom Jake adored... Thanks . May the god of your understanding be with you and guide you ,,, Goodbye :'( :'( 

Edited by Hawse40