Home School Participation

trebs

In Wilson County, I know of two kids who are home schooled and are playing for their zoned high school. One plays football and one plays baseball. I am curious how extensive it is in other counties and how it is working out.

I do not know how well it is working out for the two kids in Wilson County.  I believe the one playing football gets significant playing time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

tennessee code 49-6-3050, Home schools, requires public schools to allow home schoolers participation. Public schools can not opt out.

I have been told that both Williamson and Davidson counties do not allow home schooled students the opportunity to participate in athletics. 

tennessee code 49-6-3050, Home schools, requires public schools to allow home schoolers participation. Public schools can not opt out.

The School board for the public school district has to approve the curriculum of the homeschool student before they can participate. If school systems don't want home schoolers to participate all they have to do is reject all home school curriculum. I don't understand why they SHOULD be allowed to in the first place. If precious little johnny is too good to go to public school then he is too good to play ball for em too..JMO!

... I don't understand why they SHOULD be allowed to in the first place. If precious little johnny is too good to go to public school then he is too good to play ball for em too..JMO!

I agree, but the law is the law.

Tenn. Code Ann. § 49-6-3050

(e) (1) If any of the public schools established under the jurisdiction of an LEA are members of an organization or an association that regulates interscholastic athletic competition, and if such organization or association establishes or maintains eligibility requirements for home school students desiring to participate in interscholastic athletics at a member school, then the LEA shall permit participation in interscholastic athletics at those schools by home school students who satisfy the eligibility requirements established by the organization or association.

(2) This subsection (e) does not guarantee that a home school student trying out for an interscholastic athletics team will make the team or supplant the authority of coaches or other school officials in deciding who makes the team. This subsection (e) is intended to guarantee only that the home school student shall not be prohibited from trying out for an interscholastic athletics team, if the student is eligible under the rules of the organization or association, solely by reason of the student's status as a home school student.

(3) This subsection (e) shall not be construed to limit or supplant the authority of the organization or association to determine eligibility and to establish, modify and enforce its rules and eligibility requirements, including those applicable to home school students.

TSSAA is the main "organization or an association that regulates interscholastic athletic competition" in Tennessee.  TSSAA has a rule that allows home school participation.  The key word in paragraph (e)(3) above is "shall."  I believe that if a school system just arbitrarily says a home school student can not play, they would lose in court.

Does anyone know of "home shoolers" who have applied and were denied the opportunity to try out for the zoned school team(s)?

My question is have any home school kids applied, but were not given the opportunity to try out because the school system would not approve their home school education plan/curriculum.

The TSSAA and most public schools didn't want homeschoolers to be allowed to participate to start with so they made it such a hassle to get eligible a lot of people don't even try. You have to have your curriculum approved and turned in each year to TSSAA before August 1 (I think) each year. There are other stipulations as well I just don't know enough about it to comment. Still abiding by the law just making it a pain in the tail!

If you don't want the kid all you have to do is allow them to tryout and then cut them. The law doesn't require you to keep them, just allows them the opportunity to participate.

Most coaches would prefer not to have this problem to deal with. Homeschool kids CAN NOT be held to the same standard as the rest of the kids. They may or may not be going to class...they may or may not be working hard in class...they might get up at noon to start school when everyone else is up before 7....they aren't doing the same thing as the rest of the team...they may be doing more (doubt it) for all I know.

My understanding is that Bradley County School Board and Cleveland City School Board voted not to allow Home Schoolers to play. I am not aware of Home School kids playing in Hamilton County (ie, Chattanooga) schools.

Here is an article I found on it.

http://m.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/aug/10/b1-bradley-weighs-athletics-policy/

Edited by FootballFan51

My understanding is that Bradley County School Board and Cleveland City School Board voted not to allow Home Schoolers to play. I am not aware of Home School kids playing in Hamilton County (ie, Chattanooga) schools.

Here is an article I found on it.

http://m.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/aug/10/b1-bradley-weighs-athletics-policy/

Interesting article.  This is from August 2011.  TSSAA passed their rule allowing home school participation in 2010.  The state law requiring public schools to allow home school participation was passed in 2013.

Edited by trebs