Pam Bonee new Catholic coach?

K2ruth

I cannot speak directly for any of the AC coaches.  But I know Daile Cantrell is a Maverick for life (MFL) and he does not have aspirations to be a head coach anywhere.  He already is helping run the show there anyway.  As far as Coach Smith goes, I think she loves Anderson County and that is where she will stay.  Concerning the other two assistant coaches, I can not honestly say what they would do.  But I do not believe they have any head coaching experience at any level, and I would assume that would not help their cause to become a head coach for a high level program as their first gig.  And as PhillyAl says Bearden still has a coach, and last I heard so does CAK.  So right now the only opening is at Catholic.

I agree with Beach Boy, mostly. Coach Cantrell is going no where. After thirty years I think it's safe to say he is a MFL!

Coach Smith won't leave either, for a couple of reasons. She played and coached at AC (she and Cantrell are long time friends and both fiercely loyal to the program and both have daughters hitting middle scholl) Before taking the Oak Ridge job and building them into a real volleyball program before being recruited back to AC. Second, I would argue that AC is one of the top three or four volleyball jobs in the State. It pays close to 15 thousand which is probably 5 times what these other jobs pay; the Administration gets behind and supports the program; now that she has developed two powerful middle school programs and has even swindled Coach Harshbarger to come out of retirement to coach Norris Middle (she must have something on him!) added to the fact that a new Club is forming in Anderson County which will open club up to all elem, middle school and high school players, something AC has never had, the future is brighter than ever. Finally, with the history and tradition AC is simply a better job ( but I would argue that the Farragut job is a close second). These three jobs would be a step back for her.

Beach boy, Coach Sewall has college coaching experience and head coaching experience but I don't see her leaving. I think the asst position pays close to 9 thousand, and she is really close with Cantrell and Smith. The other asst, Coach Dew, may be in play. Several AC grads come back and serve as JV coaches fora couple of years after their college playing days are over. It is a much better training ground than club, where you don't learn how to coach. In recent years several AC assts have gone on to highly successful high school and college coaching careers. One former asst is currently a head coach at a 6A school in Georgia and already has a state championship, another went on to win a state championship in North Carolina. I don't know if Coach Dew would be interested, I was told she plans on taking a college job after another year at AC but you never know.

I think Catholic should contact Mike Jones and have him come back. He was a great coach and created Catholic volleyball. If he is still around he would be my first job. Until the other jobs actually come open, if they come open, I don't think it is appropriate to even speculate.

Bring back Jones!

Bratman, thanks for the insight on the AC coaches.  I was not aware of Coach Sewall's experience.  Sounds like she has the experience and knowledge to take over a high school program.  I just know all of the coaches there are very loyal to the AC legacy, and do not think any of them will leave to go to another rival program.  The only coach I know of to leave was Coach Smith, and she received a great experience at Oak Ridge before returning to lead the Mavericks to where they are today.  It will be interesting to see what happens at Catholic or any of the other schools that might eventually be open.  I do not know much about Coach Mincy (mentioned earlier), but that would be interesting to see where or if she ended up.  Does she have aspirations to coach high school after coaching at Carson Newman?  I have no idea.  I know she works hard at KVA.  Just thinkin.....

FYI, I was talking to a parent who's daughter is trying out at KVA.  She said that she spoke with the Bearden coach about her daughter playing high school ball at Bearden and he told her that he wouldn't be coming back.  He said that he would never get to see his daughter play in college if he continued coaching high school. I was told this. This is not a fact.  He has not officially resigned.