Lawrence County got screwed

purple75gold

It has nothing to do with who is the #1 seed. It is supposed to be based on geography and latitude/longitude. This comes down to Kenwood and Lawrence County completely. It has zero to do with anyone else in either Quad. Last year, one way and this year, another way. Why last year Kenwood was further west than Lawrence County and this year they are not...is beyond me and my pay grade! Inconsistency is obvious, but it is the TSSAA.

sure it does, if all things are equal, and in both cases they were, you create the least travel for the first round. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sure it does, if all things are equal, and in both cases they were, you create the least travel for the first round. 

We can agree to disagree on this. Just to be clear....I am not a Lawrence County fan whatsoever. In fact, I hope they go 1-and-done. They crossed the line numerous times last week against Shelbyville, playing well beyond the whistle with several cheap shots. They like to go after opponent's legs/knees even after the whistle. Glad they got what they got with Millington in the first round, so I'm actually happy with the inconsistency of the TSSAA this year. But, they did not go strictly on geography as they say....and they also broke their Quad rules. A Natural Quad 2 team like Lawrence County is supposed to only move one Quad at the most (despite their proximity to Memphis). Their bylaws say that teams can only be moved one Quad over from their Natural Quad. Again, I understand their proximity completely. It makes sense, however inconsistency from one year to the next is obvious. They should have gone to Quad 4 last year as well, but they didn't. Oh well, I hope they lose...and I think they will. Millington is really good...and Lawrence County has no passing game. Too one-dimensional to beat a very, very good team in the playoffs.

Edited by sportsguy22

We can agree to disagree on this. Just to be clear....I am not a Lawrence County fan whatsoever. In fact, I hope they go 1-and-done. They crossed the line numerous times last week against Shelbyville, playing well beyond the whistle with several cheap shots. They like to go after opponent's legs/knees even after the whistle. Glad they got what they got with Millington in the first round, so I'm actually happy with the inconsistency of the TSSAA this year. But, they did not go strictly on geography as they say....and they also broke their Quad rules. A Natural Quad 2 team like Lawrence County is supposed to only move one Quad at the most (despite their proximity to Memphis). Their bylaws say that teams can only be moved one Quad over from their Natural Quad. Again, I understand their proximity completely. It makes sense, however inconsistency from one year to the next is obvious. They should have gone to Quad 4 last year as well, but they didn't. Oh well, I hope they lose...and I think they will. Millington is really good...and Lawrence County has no passing game. Too one-dimensional to beat a very, very good team in the playoffs.

I don't know that we're really disagreeing.  Most of these rules that the TSSAA made up have gotten in the way of good old common sense, so things like natural quad don't make a bit of sense when there are a large number of 5a playoff teams in east Tennessee. 

I don't know that we're really disagreeing.  Most of these rules that the TSSAA made up have gotten in the way of good old common sense, so things like natural quad don't make a bit of sense when there are a large number of 5a playoff teams in east Tennessee. 

Although I do sense the irony in not being able to agree on whether we disagree.

The only problem with this statement is: The TSSAA did just the opposite last year! Kenwood went to Quad 4 and Lawrence County went to Quad 3. Geography last year different from this year? No consistency whatsoever.

We agree - they are inconsistent. However I think the got it wrong last year and right this year. And i think they got it wrong initially putting LC as a "Natural Q2" cause I don't think they have ever played in Quad 2, naturally. Oh well - let's just play some ball.

We agree - they are inconsistent. However I think the got it wrong last year and right this year. And i think they got it wrong initially putting LC as a "Natural Q2" cause I don't think they have ever played in Quad 2, naturally. Oh well - let's just play some ball.

The Natural Quad thing is stupid for sure...they get it by the Districts moving from east to west.  Districts 1 thru 4 are Natural Quad 1, Districts 5 thru 8 are Natural Quad 2, etc. No reason to even have 'natural quads'. It's dumb. By the way, anybody wonder why they do all this districting and playoff quad placement from east to west as opposed to the 'natural' west to east. Makes little sense all the way around. I agree...let's play some football!

It would not have been a cakewalk in quad 3 either. Just play who is in front of you.

Good point, GWave1! Ask Henry County about some of the teams in Quad 3. I bet they will tell you Springfield is no cake walk, and I know Distict 9 teams are tough. When I was at Springfield we played in District 9 which at that time was probably the toughest football district in the state top to bottom.

Bottom line is beat who you play and everything else will take care of itself.

For a team that had just won a district title for the 1 time in FIFTY (50) YEARS....I would think I would be hearing much more excitement and jubilation than complaining about who their "2nd round opponent" might be.  Hear's how the postseason works.  You focus on the team in front of you, practice and prepare diligently, play the game of your life, and if you win....you look around and see who is left standing Saturday morning.  Go luck Lawrence County against Millington!  We'll visit again Saturday if things go well!

Edited by QBClubPrez