Is the split coming?

ballbasher30

Now that the season is over, thought I would turn everyones attention to a new topic to debate until next fall (or until a decision is made).

It seems to have been put on the back burner during the reshuffling of football, but does the committee the TSSAA formed to look in to the complete public-private split make a decision soon? If i remember correctly, they were going to discuss this around November/December back when the TSSAA didn't vote on it but decided to form a committee to look into it.

If you want more data try this out:

I will not include AAA schools because they are not affected, but just look at the A-AA state tournament.

Since the state tournament expanded to 8 teams in 2003, public schools have won a grand total of 3 games at the state tournament. (White House in 2012, Greeneville in 2009, and Chucky-Doak in 2005)

No public school has won a semifinal game in the same span.

Ridgeway, now a AAA school, won 5 straight championships from 1998-2002. Take those out, and private schools have won every state title in A-AA since 1997, a span of 17 years.

Is it belly-aching by public school who cannot compete with private schools or private schools who cannot compete with other private schools? Complaining? Is it fair and fair to who?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, it's fair to complain until the split happens. Year in/year out there's no way publics will compete with privates. As it stands, it seems the TSSAA is saying the privates have no athletic advantage, that the playing field is level. I completely disagree.

It's all about natural selection. Generally, the most committed athletes with committed family support are going to the privates. So the privates become little incubators for athletic success.

There's nothing wrong with that. I fully support there right to do so. BUT, they are competing against schools who do not have those advantages within the student body. As a result, the competition is usually lopsided.

What would happen if you hosted an academic contest in say, biology. What schools would compete at the highest level? I'll bet you it would be the privates because GENERALLY they are carrying a full load of far more committed scholars.

AGAIN, nothing wrong with that, but I don't think the privates should pad their resumes by beating up on publics who don't share those advantages.

What would happen if you hosted an academic contest in say, biology. What schools would compete at the highest level? I'll bet you it would be the privates because GENERALLY they are carrying a full load of far more committed scholars.

...that why Booger and Mrs. Booger sacrifices and spends it  :thumb:

Edited by Booger

ND competes with Texas and Michigan and other big schools because all those school have one thing in common. They all give 85 scholarships in football and give the same number in each sport.

Doesn't matter how many students you have if you pick the number to fill out you roster like colleges do.

Better example would be for notre dame to be told they could not turn away students for any reason and they could not talk to students about coming there to play a sport and see how well they compete.

It is time to make the split.  The numbers speak for themselves....no publics have won a semifinal or final in how many years???  There is a clear advantage to the privates being they can pick and choose....the publics, especially in soccer, they get who they have.  How many privates are located in rural TN?  Most are in larger cities with population density which yields better facilities, coaches and training opportunities.  I forgot, the other key...the student athlete, that number is significantly higher in which to build a student body as well. 

I applaud the Baylor's, GPS's etc..of the world that own the situation and compete on a level playing field.  It is interesting in girl's soccer that there may be 1-2 publics in the tournament, and in the boys, there are more.  However, when was the last time a public has won the boys championship?

Better example would be for notre dame to be told they could not turn away students for any reason and they could not talk to students about coming there to play a sport and see how well they compete.

Basher of Balls ....we talk to everyone about playing sports, I assume you don't do that where your at....we talk to everyone about the better education, we talk to everyone about the better environment, we talk to everyone about the pride and tradition we take in the number of kids that get scholastic scholarships every year and here is one that will really pee you off that we'r doing......we talk to everyone about the prayer we will have everyday in school....

oh yeah, we also talk to everyone about the drug testing policy also.. :thumb: thats right, my kids are drug tested....hows that working in your school system?

Catholic families and their daughters made up at least 90 of the players on my daughters soccer team....Now ole' Booger can tell, you probably don't know much about the Catholics, but they gonna pile there kids up in that Catholic school, even if they have to sell the shoes off their feet...you don't have to be recruited into the school, Bubba...YOUR BORN INTO IT

Now, if you aint doing most of these things where you and all these other Publics are; you may want to get a face lift.... All those things mentioned above added together might help you get on track to some of this success we are depriving you all of and to the dance.

Better than that, just do what Booger does....Make whatever sacrifice you can to get your child into an environment that gives you all the stuff in the 1st paragraph Booger mentioned....Boogerette was fortunate enough to make it to 4 State Championship Tournaments in her 4 years of HS and Booger believes the majority of the reason for that comes from that 1st paragraph and the rest comes from the fact she was teamed up with girls who had more year round work ethic and desire than her opponents 

Booger gonna work a little over time and buy Booger Jr a FB championship too, if he can...along with a good education and some prayer in school :thumb:

Booger just sayin  :popcorneater:

There needs to be a private school division only now. It's not 1980 with just a handful of schools.

You can mention all the virtues of private schools and why they have no advantage yet the championships clearly indicate otherwise. In fact, we do have an advantage if you're being honest. We usually have better coaching and a more focused/dedicated pool of players. That's not a slight against public schools because, in some instances, they have those same qualities. However, the majority of private schools are better at many sports than publics with few exceptions.

IMO a split would be the best decision from a competition standpoint. Then the non-open enrollment schools could whine about open enrollment schools and magnet schools. We could have 52 seperate champions in all sports!!! 😄😄ðŸ‘

I came from a state (and my daughter got to go there for a year), where many public schools do quite well in soccer and lacrosse. Some public schools are powerhouses known nationwide (Garden City in lacrosse as an example). 

These public high school programs almost always have a few things in common- strong youth sports that builds the players and feeds into the high school, strong high school coaching that will  help participants move to the next level, strong academics.

Currently TN is quite weak in the girls club soccer feeder system. I am not saying all the clubs are bad or that teams can not compete at the national level or that there are not any good players. But it takes more than one good club in each area to build the number of good players necessary for public schools to compete. Get away from the major cities and the quality really of clubs really drops off.

Private schools will ALWAYS poach some of the players from the system and may even build their own feeder (as they do in lacrosse), but the better public schools are able to make up for the loss of players with numbers. Look at St. Louis, as an example compared to Nashville. St Louis has two ECNL clubs and at least one other. Lou Fusz, which consistently produces strong teams. When we lived in upstate NY the feeder program was so strong that in order to make varsity at the public school you pretty much had to be a D1 club player or a strong D2 player and most public schools had four teams- Modified (rec players), 9th grade, JV, Varsity often with 24 players on each team. Did private schools "poach" some players? Sure, but there were many other quality players from the club soccer system to fill their shoes.

Growing a feeder system is not easy or fast and requires finding and retaining good coaches, people putting their egos aside and putting the kids needs first. As an example, the high school girls lacrosse program where we lived upstate NY was a powerhouse. But the high school coach did not build it overnight- he was known for going down to elementary and middle schools during recess, looking for athletic girls, giving them lacrosse sticks and getting them into the local youth program which had good coaching. With soccer there was one major club, but even they had teams throughout the upstate area so girls did not have to drive 3 hours to find a good team and there were other good clubs that competed against  them. High school coaches were almost always involved in club coaching in some way.

It requires school districts that recognize sports as important in the development of kids and putting a priority on finding and retaining good coaches. High school soccer, especially in public schools, has a horrible reputation for "coaching", if you can call it that. I know more than one good soccer player who chose to pass on high school soccer due to weak coaching that would set her back and increase the risk of injury.

And finally academics. Kids don't just go to private school for the sports, they go because the parents know the kids will get a good education. Good public school systems draw families for the same reason, but in the process you get parents who care about their kids and will push them in other areas, such as sports. Parents will be less likely to enroll their kids in private school as the value is not as strong.

Sorry so long winded and I'm sure my comments will kick up some dust.