Div II AA Predictions

drewpearson

Idk... I honestly think you are splitting hairs between - Ensworth- BA - MBA and McCallie. From watching the games I think MBA and MCCallie are the worst of the 4 teams defense wise. But all 4 have looked suspect at times all years. BAs two losses were down to the wire -- even Ensworth game was 10-10 4th quarter. MBA could very easily be undefeated as well. Ensworth and McCallie both have blowout losses. It is wide open. Ensworth has the best coaching , BA has the best athletes all Around and it's healthy finally , McCallie has the most team speed and MBA has the best quarterback - running back tandem in my opinion. Ensworth has not lost in a million years at home- baylor - father Ryan and MUS are all capable of pulling upsets ...

Exciting year in d2.

MBA v Ensworth in finals. Not a more polished and balanced offense than MBA. They match every score in every series against their opponent. You are required to score at least 50 point to beat them. The QB is smart, athletic, and never wilts under pressure. However, Ensworth has the horses to do the same plus their defense may be a slight more experienced. If MBA's defense tighens up a tad, MBA wins it.

I don't know how to predict this year's playoffs -- there is too much talent and there are too many variables. 

Three guiding premises:

1. It's hard to pick against Ensworth until someone finds a way to beat them in the postseason.
  2. Rematches are often tricky for the team that won the first meeting. Watch out, BA against MUS and Baylor against Father Ryan. BA and Baylor are favored for a reason, but neither game will be a cakewalk.
  3. Teams with veteran leadership often exceed expectations. I'm looking at you, MBA. Cole Euverard is a winner. 

I won't try to pick this year's champion, but as I consider my options I'm keeping those overarching guidelines in mind.

Well I am a little rusty in high school picks lately. But here goes

Blue beats MBA in a shootout

Baylor defeats Christian Bros. (comfy buses and hotels if needed

This sets up a tremendous rematch of the blue and the red. Questions there are will the Evil Blue Empire(EBE) choose to remain at spears stadium or will the lovely T$$aa prevail on returning to Finley?

I will stay true to the blue with McCallie meeting Ensworth in Cookie town. Hope Blue Son will allow mom to sleep on the sofa and and buy the adult beverages!

• Upvote 1

Owlbooster- My only point in saying that was that it's hard to win on the road in this league.  Nothing about refs, buses, crowd noise etc.  However I disagree that BA riding a bus vs MUS going to class is an advantage.  I think if you asked BA, they would go to class all day if it meant they get to play in Nashville. But hey, just my opinion. 

The reference to "home field factors" was related not to you but to my original comments 2 years ago in response to pregame posts that implied that the venue at MUS, for various reasons, particularly the travel,  would affect (if not decide) the outcome.  Then, the very first post after the game blamed the BA loss on the officiating......

As a grad of MUS, I personally would rather spend 3 hours on the bus than squirming with pregame jitters, trying to focus on an academic subject,  in a hard desk in an MUS classroom, at the end of a typically grueling week.  LOL.  (MUS and MBA are a bit "different" in the classroom)   Still, I would rather be playing at home after 7 hours wherever....

I don't think we disagree really.  My point was that IMO there is little "home field advantage" at the D2AA level and it is mostly psychological not physical..  A "comfort zone" factor.  With few exceptions, the better team "on paper" wins regardless of venue when both teams "show up" more or less equally, which of course may not be the case.   With reasonably competitive match ups ( e.g. not Ensworth vs PJP), it depends, as BBD states, on "which team shows up."  If you are indeed the better team, then you should "show up."   BA's "A" game beats MUS' "A" game,  Handily IMO.  BA's "B" is a tossup with MUS' "A" and BA's "A" trounces MUS' "B." However there's always the great unpredictable equalizer - TURNOVERS.  They came transform a blowout on paper into a nail biter...or vice versa. The unpredictable factors keep the game interesting.  It's why "the game is played on the field."   (That football "truism" has always made me shake my head....)

Looking forward to a great quarterfinal round.  As always, I pray for them to be free of injury.

Haven't seen MUS, Briarcrest, or Christian Brothers this year.  But, I have seen McCallie, Baylor, Brentwood Academy, Ensworth, and MBA.  As much as I would like to say McCallie will play in, and maybe win the Championship game, their defense just won't let me go there.

I see Ensworth, Baylor, Brentwood Academy, and MBA moving on with Baylor being the beneficiary of a lower seed but better matchup.

In the finals, it will be Ensworth and MBA and MBA will emerge the winner.

But, in my heart, McCallie all the way.

And, welcome back BlueMom.

Haven't seen MUS, Briarcrest, or Christian Brothers this year.  But, I have seen McCallie, Baylor, Brentwood Academy, Ensworth, and MBA.  As much as I would like to say McCallie will play in, and maybe win the Championship game, their defense just won't let me go there.

I see Ensworth, Baylor, Brentwood Academy, and MBA moving on with Baylor being the beneficiary of a lower seed but better matchup.

In the finals, it will be Ensworth and MBA and MBA will emerge the winner.

But, in my heart, McCallie all the way.

And, welcome back BlueMom.

Always good to see BlueMom on here. Everybody be safe travelling tonight, and stay warm.

Ensworth will win it all because they have the best athletes and are the best coached week in and week out. BA is hit or miss and MBA has not beat Ensworth since the fall of 2010. As much as I hate to say it, they will not beat them if they play again as Ensworth will fix what went wrong in the first game and MBA will not be able to adapt.

Wow, it's been forever since I've been here.  It's playoff time; therefore, I thought I'd give the forum a quick read.  Dead, this post and many like it over the years have always confused me.  As you suggest, Ensworth does win a lot, and yes, they do have top tier athletes; the second half of your statement, in particular, is 100% accurate.  Ensworth is the "best coached team week in and week out."  While Ensworth's talent is certainly solid, BA's talent year in and year out is certainly deeper, and more often than not, it is better.  One can/could look at the sdelines on any given Friday night and see that BA has, for the last 20 years (at least), been the bigger, faster, stronger, and, most importantly, deeper team.  On talent alone, how BA has not enjoyed a dynasty with its own string of gold balls in D-II is hard for any of us that have been around for a long time to understand.  Here's to a safe and enjoyable 2014 playoff!  RRR!