Coaching Carousal Begins

K2ruth

I really don't mind a club coach but I do hope that whoever is hired actually trains these girls.  Not just run through drills for an hour and a half.  It would also be nice if there was a way to keep club and high school separate.  I think that's going to be the biggest issue with the coach there.  These girls are pretty much all KVA.  It's going to be hard for any other players to fill in and play for a KVA coach on a team with all KVA players if they are at another club.  They need to really interview and find out how these coaches are going to handle that.  It shouldn't be an issue but clearly, it is.

Hard Angle, still not getting it unless you are saying Garland didn't quit, he was asked to leave?

2Players, I agree. Clubs are a business run to make money, High School and Colleges run programs to offer students a chance to represent their school and to play for district championships. I have said before, I think it is sad when a high school coach uses the position to put money in his pocket.

Personally, I don't know if KVA is in it for the long haul. Bearden will decide to either build a program or be a club feeder.

Not sure that's the case with Andrew. Although you may be right. Sounds like he was just ready to move on from Catholic based on newspaper article. It happens. Coaches come and go.

He had accepted a teaching position at UT earlier and wasn't even teaching at Catholic this year. Catholic prefers to have coaches on staff when possible and teaching spots are hard to find. I thought Andrew did a good job and continued the success that Mike Jones had established.

Hardangle. Do you think having the head football coach as your AD had anything to do with it. I mean the guy probably could care less about volleyball. Especially while in football season. What a crazy thing to have your head football coach as AD. I know the Bearden AD had to give up being AD once he accepted the head coaching job. This only makes sense.

BBV as far as I know the head football coach at Catholic is not the AD.  The AD however, is one of the assistant football coaches. 

That is correct. I wouldn't say the AD could care less about volleyball. We have made a firm commitment to having top programs in all sports. We even have a female assistant AD that handles things during football season. I've been involved in coaching searches for other sports and administration is 100% behind getting the right person. I would think Catholic should be able to find a good coach.

Why do we continue to insist on connecting schools with a certain club?  I understand the connection between the BHS coach and his club.  And I get that a bunch of his players played in his club, but who cares.  Let the kids choose where they want to play.  It is up to them.

I think all of this creates unnecessary animosity when clubs and schools should be working towards each others mutual benefits.  I just don't think we need this mindset for Knoxville volleyball if we are going to improve volleyball here.  It is much too negative.  Sheesh....

BB, if it weren't for club none of these high schools would be competitive. High school volleyball is thriving BECAUSE of club. Nothing is devisive. It helps the girls, which this is all about, if they play club with great coaches. Bearden and a couple of other schools promoted one club over another. I don't agree with that. Also, a club needs to have top flight coaches.

These schools have an opportunity to reach out to these amazing top tier club coaches and develop competitive high school teams which can't be done unless you go get club coaches who know the sport.

I agree that the kids deserve the best coaches wherever they can get them if that is what they want.  I do not think that labeling certain high schools as certain club schools is a positive thing to do.  We can agree to disagree, but I do think that is a divisive approach.  I am convinced the high schools AND the clubs need to work together.  They are both trying to promote the sport as it deserves.  I am a lover of the game and not on either the high school or the club side.  Done both, and love both.  But too often we are butting heads when we don't need to.