Coaching Carousal Begins

K2ruth

It looks likes Mincey is going o Bearden and Keebler is staying put which has Catholic still open. That leaves Bearden a KVA school. Interesting.

k2r  Please advise if you are reporting rumors or facts. Mincey has not been asked to take the Bearden job. Look on the website and see if the job is even posted. Please state whether you are talking rumors or facts. Also the man's name is Keeble not Keebler.

BBV I am making the same statements that I did weeks ago. Look, this is not a big news story. The local papers are not going to cover these coaching vacancies, nor are the schools going to do a "search" to get a top flight coach.

Dave has been telling people, apparently not the Bearden parents, that he was done after the season as early as this past summer. I don't consider that a "rumor." Same thing with Shannon having been led to believe this is her job if she will take it. It may not come to pass. This is a discussion board. I think it is great that enough people are interested to talk. Who they hire as coach does have an impact on the girls.

There seems to be ill will towards Shannon from PhillyAI who is associated with Bearden. Shannon may not want the job, but I know it is being discussed.

This is my first post! I played my college ball in the 80's and was introduced to Knoxville volleyball by Earl Sharp, Smoke, the Sparkman's and others. I have coached and recruited at the collegiate level and have worked with club teams in Louisville and Nashville but Maryville has been home for 10 years. I follow Alcoa football and saw this thread.

My first advise is DON'T hire a club coach. It ALWAYS ends bad. Look at Bearden. Was the priority KVA or Bearden High School? Also, the club coaches in Knoxville have little to no actual coaching experience. For the most part they worked at church leagues or are former players. KVA at least has three coaches with actual "coaching" experience, but most have zero training. K2 is no better. The Hames left SMACK and Carmen to make money. Kris does a great job, and they run a solid young club (much better club than KVA) but I wouldn't take a second look at any of their coaches for these jobs.

Knoxville volleyball is red hot! Having three clubs is making a difference! What also makes a difference is high school coaching.

Don't get on this board just to attack a high school coach you don't like. Coaching is hard! Trust me. Coaching High School is the hardest of all.

Don't evaluate a high school coach by one or two years. See how they do over 5 years. Are they competitive when they don't have the most talent? Do their players go onto college? Do their players quit or do they play four years? Would you want your daughter to play for her or him? What do other coaches say about them? What do the refs say?

A club coach will use the high school to promote their club. If a girl plays for the "wrong" club it will have a negative affect. Their are no club coaches in Knoxville not already coaching that have any business coaching a high school team. Hames, Foster and Petrik are doing solid jobs, but private schools are different than public, and Petrik and Foster have no financial investment in the club they coach for.

The most successful high school program in the Knoxville area is Anderson County High School. In Nashville and Louisville they know about this school. It is unheard of the sheer number of college players they produce, year in and year out, and almost none of them play club. They have down years, but look at how good they were this season playing freshman and sophomores. I was at the Regional Tournament (Wanted to watch the Bearden and Farragut match) but found myself blown away watching AC vs Bearden.

Bearden won because they were bigger, senior heavy, and had better more experienced players. Still, the freshman heavy AC team with their starting Middle on crutches took control of the game at the whistle and punished Bearden every time they made a bad choice. Had AC had a setter they win.

They had four involved "coaches" making adjustments and coaching up the girls even when the match was decided. Zero quit,they coached, and played hard, until the end. Since I have been around they have had four different head coaches, but maintained continuity. Obviously having a veteran like Cantrell on staff helps, but they bring in experienced head coaches, who played at AC, and the school pays them well and supports them. I love having four coaches. They also bring in former players and train them as coaches. They leave then come back. They have it figured out. Copy that model.

Catholic, use Mike Jones. Next to the AC coaches he is the best I Have watched in Knoxville. Get his guidance. See if he would mentor a young coach like Cantrell does at AC. He is a powerful asset to have on staff. Find a young coach who wants to STAY.

Parents, let the ADs do their job! It is hard to find quality coaches. People with actual ties to the school do better, and I think they need to teach or work at the school and not just show up for practices!

Great discussion board. Now that I've found it ill be back!

Edited by ScottRoss5

ScottRoss, I would have to agree that a high school coach doesn't need to be a club coach.  Too much conflict of interest, but I disagree on the fact that Knoxville doesn't have ANY good club coaches.  Really?  Tom Paszko (who I DO NOT think needs to be a high school coach) has won 3 national championships.  Coached at 4 nationally ranked clubs (as the top team coach. not assistant or 2 teams), and took his team to 3rd in the nation last year.  And you say NO good club coaches in Knoxville? Will have to agree to disagree on that one.  I will say that they don't have many at all. As far as telling people what they should talk about and what they shouldn't that's not for you to say.  It's a board.  It's exactly for people to say and discuss things.  You may not like it, but it doesn't mean that it shouldn't be discussed.  I don't think that anyone is trying to harm anyone else or personally attack a person.  It's just an opinion. I have said it before and i'll say it again.  I don't expect the Bearden coach to be some amazing Olympic caliber coach.  It would be nice to have a coach there that actually wanted to coach.  Not be a friend, not look over their relative, not promote their club, not to be seen.  That's it.  I don't care who it is.  As long as he or she has the girls' best interest in mind. And really no matter who is hired it really is the athlete's decision whether they want to play or not.  If there is a sorry coach hired, my daughter won't play.  It's that simple for me.  There are other options.

Scott. Other than you saying AC is probably the best HS program in the area (which I have to agree with) what are you smoking??? the other stuff you say makes no sense.

I'm sorry to say but HS volleyball is only to have fun. Other than that it gets you no where unless you have an OUTSTANDING program like AC and Webb, that is willing to help their girls get to where they want to be. Other than that, the other high school coaches could care less.

Hardangle asked Philly if the catholic job was being searched yet. I will chime in and say, we all know that catholic bows down to one sport and one sport only FOOTBALL. They could care less about the others. They can say what they want but its true. They are just like Grace. The only way they care about volleyball is if a girl that plays volleyball has a brother that is really good in football and they want him to enroll. Then they will go after sister to get brother