Coaching Carousal Begins

K2ruth

It can't happen because you can't often get that type of coaching. Webb has coach Hames, there was no volleyball before she came worth anything, won't be after she leaved. Catholic and AC seem to support their volleyball team and they got lucky finding coaches, and smart by continuing with home grown assts. Coach Jones had both Coach Garland and Coach Hames as assts. AC seems to never go outside for their coaches, this creates loyalty.

Another thought. Of the better volleyball schools AC and Catholic seem to have the least involvement with the politics of Club. AC never seems to have any club players (although I heard they are starting their own club this year) and Catholic doesn't seem to push club. Maybe there is something to that?

BB why do you think Catholic is so successful?

I think the school has made a commitment to having the best possible programs in all sports. We have been fortunate to have two very good coaches back-to-back. There has been a good mix of club and high school players. Several of the girls in the past have played multiple sports which I'm sure wouldn't happen if there was a bigger club presence but it may prevent some of the burnout you see in the kids. We also have middle school programs for the kids that help them get started early.

Just heard something (obviously killing time tonight) the current CAK asst is a former Anderson County player and coach! She played college ball and was an asst at AC before going to CAK and pushing them over the hurdle to win a state championship. She has coached club, but not currently, played club for the Hames. Why would Bearden and Catholic not want to talk to her? She has a great pedigree,has worked with two strong programs, PhillyAI any thoughts?

CAK won state title because they had better players who were healthy for once. Jamie, although not real popular, did a great job with this team. He coached them hard and well. His assistant did a good job but I would not say she helped get them over the hump. No disrespect. This was Jamie's team. He does a good job. You can't deny that with his record over the past 3 years. He's also had lots of good players and lots of size. Great players also make a coach look good and smart.

It sounds as if IrishBBall knows what they are talking about.  A good mix of club and high school players with two pretty good coaches that cared about the program.  Also, I think the comment about playing other sports contributed quite a bit as well.  Catholic is a small school and I am betting that many of their athletes are multi sport athletes.  Keeps em fresh and interested.

And Hardangle is right, good players will make coaches look really smart.  And despite having good/great players coaches still need to be good coaches to get the best out of them.  I do think Coach Petrik did a very good job the past few years.  Just because you have someone that is 6'6 does not automatically win it all for you.  Volleyball is the ultimate team sport and if you don't have other players on the court doing their jobs consistently, then 6'6 does not do much good.  Remember the game always comes back to ball control to get the ball to the right players.  Pass and dig baby!

I don't know much volleyball but I'm very close to most of the Catholic sports and know the philosophy of the administration having sat in on coaching searches and interviews. We rely on multi-sport athletes to be successful. It is my understanding that their have been some issues with kids putting club stuff ahead of school stuff. I've got mixed feelings about that but know most recruiting is based off club exposure. My son played basketball in college after Catholic and most of his recruiting was based on AAU exposure but then again AAU coaches dont discourage playing basketball for your high school team. Some of the players I've talked to like the "fun" of playing school volleyball since there is less pressure and they can play positions they won't in college.

I'm friends with both Mike Jones and Andrew. You're correct about both of them caring about the program.

I have no clue or insight as to the new coach, just hope we make the right decision without the politics between club affiliations and do what is best for the overall program. I trust the administration with making the "best" possible hire.

I have been friends with several other volleyball coaches so I enjoy reading these posts.

Edited by IrishBBall

BB I am also concerned about the club roster of coaches. KVA seems to have mainly young girls who played high school ball but who have no coaching experience. However, there are 4 club coaches who, in my opinion, are well prepared and would be superior to any area high school coaches except Webb. Steve Dallman, Tom Pazko, Shannon Mincey and Jason Keeble.

I believe it is harder to coach a competitive club. BB, name me four high school coaches, other than the Webb coach, with the experience of these four club coaches. I don't think you can do it.

I believe if Mincey wants the Bearden job it's hers. Williams or Keeble are possible fits for Catholic. If CAK opens I don't know, maybe Alves, the middle school coach?

Thoughts.

That Tom Pazko could be hired to coach a HS team is laughable...Might be a good coach but this individual might last a week at a HS... He totally takes the joy of the game away from every player he touches...

Good news is that this sport IS red hot all over and realistically the evolution of clubs throughout the state is a big part... Volleyball scholarships are approaching basketball #'s for girls and this can only be a good thing!!!

Been thinkin about the Catholic job.  And here is a name that popped up in my feeble mind.  She is young and inexperienced, but comes from a very good volleyball background.  Played at Farragut and in college in Alabama (I think).  She has also coached in club as well as summer camps.  What do we think of Cara Gregg who is the assistant coach at Farragut?  Just thinkin out loud.  Be nice to her on CT