Coaching Carousal Begins

K2ruth

I love you but you have no idea what you are talking about with Catholic when Jones left. I'm done discussing it with you. I hope Chris Hames is paying you well as a marketer for her. Happy Thanksgiving. Lord have mercy.

You are correct about the Catholic job. Andrew was groomed for that position along with the promise that Mike

Jones could continue to teach at Catholic if he resigned the coaching position. That was a nice move by the Catholic administration considering the teaching position Mike fills could (and probably need to) go to one of the new incoming football coaches!

Mike Jones knows more about volleyball than anyone in Tennessee, and that includes Rob Patrick at UT. People would be shocked if they knew his resume. He doesn't speak of his past experiences much and thats a shame. Catholic did the right thing by keeping Mike Jones on staff. They know how valuable he is. I had a chance to talk volleyball with Jones one day and I was blown away.

I was line judge when my daughter played at Anderson County. Coach Jones was always my favorite from the other schools. I played pro ball for a while in Texas while he was there. My daughter's soph year was my first year line judging. That years seniors had a four year record of 218 wins against 9 losses. They went over ten years without losing a game, yet alone a match, to a Knoxville team. I made a close call (for AC) and he growled at the ref. When the game was over he walked over to me, shook my hand, and made a joke about next time giving Catholic some calls because they needed the help!

A couple of years later they beat AC and a real rivalry was born! Our last year in TN, daughter long gone playing college ball, I still came to the AC/Catholic games. That year Coach Cantrell had to coach by himself because Harshbarger resigned, and Coach Smith had left to take the Oak Ridge job. AC had one senior, three sophs and four freshman that played. Catholic was LOADED. All matches were close, but Catholic won the district and region. The Catholic fans HATED Cantrell. Every team AC played hated Cantrell. He is loud, intense, and the most competitive man I've ever met, but anybody that ever played for him loved him, and he did more with no club players than I've ever scene. After the Region (in which Catholic literally destroyed AC in 3 ) Jones came over and gave him a pep talk. He knew it was a hard year, but told him that the young girls were getting it. At state AC made it to the finals and but for an injury would have been state champions.

I tell you this because Cantrell respects Mike Jones more than any other high school coach. He never let a negative thing be said about his friend even when the rivalry was red hot. My favorite state memory was sitting behind those two, and coach Neely at State and listening to these three old war horses tell stories. Mike Jones can coach. Coach Cantrell told me once that if Coach Jones was still coaching when his daughter got to high school he would want her to play for Jones because he doesn't think a father should coach is own kid, and that that he trusted his daughter to play for Coach Jones. I thought that was pretty cool.

I don't know these people you are talking about on this thread, but I know sports. I agree with those that think club coaches have no business in high school, and it is a ton harder coaching a high school team than a club coach. Can't Catholic convince Coach Jones to come back and train another coach. That's what we did at AC. Coach Cantrell teaches the young coaches as much as he does the players. If Jones will come back ill come back to TN to call line for the AC/Catholic game! Why doesn't someone call Cantrell and have him coax or goad his old friend back to the gym. I PROMISE you he can be pretty persuasive!

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and Hopi or Ghost, tell the girls howdy!

Mike Jones knows more about volleyball than anyone in Tennessee, and that includes Rob Patrick at UT. People would be shocked if they knew his resume. He doesn't speak of his past experiences much and thats a shame. Catholic did the right thing by keeping Mike Jones on staff. They know how valuable he is. I had a chance to talk volleyball with Jones one day and I was blown away.

You're exactly right. I've known Mike since he started at Catholic and didn't fully learn of his resume/background until we sat together watching games after he quit coaching. I was shocked at his background. It's a pretty humble coach that doesn't toot his own horn with that expertise!

Really good conversation here.  I don't really know a whole lot about what's going on at Catholic.  Not really interested but I do love hearing about all of the coaching options right now.  I just wish I knew who they were.  I do agree that the coach should have no connections with club at Bearden or any other school.  At the same time I would love a coach that had the knowledge, experience, and commitment of a club coach.  It's like on one hand it would be great to have a club coach but terrible at the same time.