Dobyns-Bennett 2015

tribecitizen

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a the head coach of this team but I could have come up with a better game plan in about five minutes...This staff is DONE!!! Too old, to set in there ways. Time to bring in some young coaches and i don't care who. Name something in Clark's honor and show him the door. If we don't make a change you're going to see the new stadium half full from now on...I think Clark has a timeshare in Florida every year the week before Thanksgiving. This is one fed up Indian and I'm not alone. I think this team is two years away but it will be all for nothing if we don't have a staff who can use it. Oh, and I hate our offense!!!! Its like watching UT when Worley was the QB. NOW, GO AHEAD AND SAY WE DO THIS EVERY YEAR. WELL, I WILL ADMIT IVE WANTED THEM GONE FOR SEVERAL YEARS NOW. DB should have 4 State titles in the last 20 years. 98,00,02,12!!!! And we didn't get squat!!!! Off with their heads!!!!

ROLL TRIBE!!!!!

I will concede that I haven't been in a D-B huddle since 1986, and I've lived out of state since 1987, but I follow the games on the radio/online.  My experience is that Graham Clark knows how to run an offense.  Extremely good at matching his players' strengths with offensive sets/alignments.  I was fortunate enough to play defense under Coach Watson.  Talk about a coach who put his players in position to succeed.  We talk about opportunities lost, but nobody gives Clark and Co credit for getting more out of his folks than others would/could.  Do I think we should have won a title or two over the past 25 years?  Sure.  Do I blame the coaches for that?  No.  We're talking about 14-18 year old kids playing an emotional sport under all kinds of field conditions in various stadium settings.  Let's look at dbFan91's "should have" results:

1998 (Semi-Finals): lose 21-7 to Oakland who beats Hendersonville 46-24 for State Title

2000 (Semi-Finals): lose 21-13 who beats Riverdale 27-7 for State Title

2002 (Semi-Finals): lose 14-9 to Riverdale who loses to Brentwood 10-7 for State Title

2012 (Quarterfinals): lose 41-20 to Maryville who loses to Whitehaven 36-35 for State Title

We had a "great chance" to win championships, but I argue that saying we "should have" is a stretch.  And we didn't get squat?? Off with their heads?? C'Mon Man!

I will concede that I haven't been in a D-B huddle since 1986, and I've lived out of state since 1987, but I follow the games on the radio/online. My experience is that Graham Clark knows how to run an offense. Extremely good at matching his players' strengths with offensive sets/alignments. I was fortunate enough to play defense under Coach Watson. Talk about a coach who put his players in position to succeed. We talk about opportunities lost, but nobody gives Clark and Co credit for getting more out of his folks than others would/could. Do I think we should have won a title or two over the past 25 years? Sure. Do I blame the coaches for that? No. We're talking about 14-18 year old kids playing an emotional sport under all kinds of field conditions in various stadium settings. Let's look at dbFan91's "should have" results:

1998 (Semi-Finals): lose 21-7 to Oakland who beats Hendersonville 46-24 for State Title

2000 (Semi-Finals): lose 21-13 who beats Riverdale 27-7 for State Title

2002 (Semi-Finals): lose 14-9 to Riverdale who loses to Brentwood 10-7 for State Title

2012 (Quarterfinals): lose 41-20 to Maryville who loses to Whitehaven 36-35 for State Title

We had a "great chance" to win championships, but I argue that saying we "should have" is a stretch. And we didn't get squat?? Off with their heads?? C'Mon Man!

Great post! I think many "fans" live to post here. I can't see how some of them pay money to sit miserably in the stands and gripe about coaches and players. They don't understand that it's not about them. It's about the young men who put in countless hours of practice on top of their schoolwork. Sitting in the stands and yelling disparaging comments about the players giving up and how ignorant the coaches are is pathetic! They should do everyone a favor and stay home and yell at their radios.

I think they still have meetings on Tuesday nights. If these "fans" have all the answers, they should show up and enlighten everyone. I'm sure the players would enjoy hearing from them. Of course it's easier to yell from the stands and post on message boards than face someone like a man.

Great post! I think many "fans" live to post here. I can't see how some of them pay money to sit miserably in the stands and gripe about coaches and players. They don't understand that it's not about them. It's about the young men who put in countless hours of practice on top of their schoolwork. Sitting in the stands and yelling disparaging comments about the players giving up and how ignorant the coaches are is pathetic! They should do everyone a favor and stay home and yell at their radios.

I think they still have meetings on Tuesday nights. If these "fans" have all the answers, they should show up and enlighten everyone. I'm sure the players would enjoy hearing from them. Of course it's easier to yell from the stands and post on message boards than face someone like a man.

Well stated HorseCollar.  Granted, I played back in the day when South was our big rival and Science Hill/Tennessee High always gave us a great game and beat us on occasion.  Oak Ridge was a constant on the schedule.

We had just gone 4-6 my junior year and lost most of our skill players.  We were projected to go 5-5 and finish middle of the pack in the Big East.  We ended up going 10-0 in the regular season and lost in the quarterfinals to eventual state winner Knox Halls.  Do you know what my most vivid memories are from that year?  The entire team busting their azzes in the off season weight room.  Coaches expecting more out of us than we thought possible.  Enjoying the camaraderie in the locker room.  Calling out guys who weren't pulling their weight and praising guys who were exceeding expectations.  I learned life wasn't fair and that if you work hard you will be rewarded.

Big picture - DB football taught me life lessons I still use today.  And Coach Clark was a big part of it.  If I had a gun in my hand on practice days,I would have shot him more times than not. Hindsight 20/20, he was preparing me for life in the real world.  In the process, I got to play a little bit of football with my friends.

Edited by RollTribe87

Well stated HorseCollar. Granted, I played back in the day when South was our big rival and Science Hill/Tennessee High always gave us a great game and beat us on occasion. Oak Ridge was a constant on the schedule.

We had just gone 4-6 my junior year and lost most of our skill players. We were projected to go 5-5 and finish middle of the pack in the Big East. We ended up going 10-0 in the regular season and lost in the quarterfinals to eventual state winner Knox Halls. Do you know what my most vivid memories are from that year? The entire team busting their azzes in the off season weight room. Coaches expecting more out of us than we thought possible. Enjoying the camaraderie in the locker room. Calling out guys who weren't pulling their weight and praising guys who were exceeding expectations. I learned life wasn't fair and that if you work hard you will be rewarded.

Big picture - DB football taught me life lessons I still use today. And Coach Clark was a big part of it. If I had a gun in my hand on practice days,I would have shot him more times than not. Hindsight 20/20, he was preparing me for life in the real world. In the process, I got to play a little bit of football with my friends.

good post. That's what high school football is supposed to be about. And I miss that big east conference, always good games back then

I understand both sides of this.I want to win and want my kids to be on the best possible team .My favorite coach in the world was coach Watson .For more then just being a good coach.He took what should have been a fullback and turned him into an undersized but first team all conference and NET defensive lineman.Coach Clark rewarded my last Indian with the annual football scholarship award as well.Yes I have respect for several of the staff members and like them.Yes I have one in the system and and don't want to put him under the 8 ball by saying so and so sucks.At the same time.If anyone is happy with the curb stomping we got friday night,they are upward bound material.I don't like to lose and I don't like having it rubbed in by every prik that hates DB.I don't care what changes have to be made to fix it,but I want it fixed.I'll do my part with what I can do,and the rest will have to be up to the other players and their dads and for sure and most important,the coaching staff.Roll Tribe !

Edited by BatmanDB

I'm not sure who all you have grouped in your "fans" list but I'll assume you have me in it. I obviously post here a lot. I don't know if your a coach, a coaches wife, dad or relative or just another "fan" like the rest of us. I will say that was smart of you to keep bringing up the "players" in your post to try and bring sympathy to your argument. Actually that borders on pathetic because your not going to convince any posters here that they have been complaining about players. If you bother you can go back and read post after post praising the players. I haven't heard any disparaging remarks from the stands about the players but your right about the coaches. I've heard plenty of that. People see what they see. Some I agree are a little over the top. But all in all it's a no brainer the coaching staff is not doing a very good job of doing the things they need to do to win games. So lets stop with the grade school mentality. This is all about the performance of the coaches. All very good men, all very good to the kids, there is no question. Have they done a good job of coaching and preparing the team(s) to play the games? You would have to be a complete moron to answer yes. Look at the stats and get back to me. And if you do, omit Volunteer, Central and DC from you research. I could round up a group of 40yr. old men in my neighborhood and beat those teams. We "fans" don't allow any "stat padding" here on the message boards. Here's something else you might want to consider. The "fans" are the ones that are paying the bills. From what I can tell looks like about 75% of the fans at the games are "very unhappy" with the coaching at DB. If it continues (and it will) then your going to lose 75% of your fan base. Your going to see what happens to DB athletics when you lose 75% of that gate money at football games. This is much bigger than two or three coaches.

One more thing. I just wanted to point out that you called everybody out for posting on a message board and not being a man...............by posting on a message board.  Ironic! :rolleyes:

Answer This question Then - why start someone when there is a better someone on the sideline ? Politics and being DB is my answer ....