The State of Bearden Volleyball

bigbluevolley

Its Mincey and Bearden would be lucky to have her. I played for her and she's fantastic. Doubt you would find someone who would care about those girls as much as she will on and off the court. She's also a great person and would guide those girls off the court and be someone they can look up too. Put that with all of her college contacts, she'd be awesome.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I don't know a whole lot about Mincey.  I know that she didn't do much at Carson Newman and she was the coach of a club team that should have been really good but didn't do anything at all really in the club season.  They didn't even play in a lot of top level tournaments. Maybe 3 all year.  I don't even think they went to AAU's.  I saw her 17s play and I was shocked. You would think that they would have form, technique, plays, at least be in shape, but they weren't.  I don't see how her really caring about the girls is going to do anything for that Bearden team.  I think it's great that she cares and that she's a good person but what's the point if that's all?  I'd rather them have a coach 1st. Not a friend.  That's what's wrong with Knoxville's high school volleyball.  It involves everything but actually getting better at volleyball.  

Remember Coach Garland is a Bearden alum.  He went there 2 years.  Also, a question, does anyone know what Knox County pays their volleyball coaches.  I have heard it is quite low.  That certainly would not bode well for getting a quality coach.  Can booster clubs kick in extra $$ to coaches that work in KC schools?

At one time a coach told me that they make about that much but that was years ago.  That's nothing for all they have to do.  Coach Garland, I'm not sure about.  I think that the fact that he doesn't coach on the club level is a + though.  Also, that with him being a Bearden alum, he may really be willing to invest some serious time into it and make these girls better, but i'm just guessing.  I'm shocked that coach Williams was able to even get another high school job and I doubt that she would be welcome in Knox County at all after what happened at Karns.  I've heard terrible things about the CBFO chick.  Like, she's crazy.  Not sure if any of it's true because i've never had any encounter with her.  Though I have heard that more than once.  What about the assistant coach at Bearden? Also the JV coach. Sloan, I think is her last name.  I've never really seen her actively participate in anything with the girls, but I think the girls really liked her.  Not sure if she really knows a lot about volleyball.  

K2r. I hate to burst your "contact" bubble but lets get a couple things straight.

1. The former Bearden coach has NO SAY on who the next coach is.

2. The former CN coach is NOT being talked about for the job. She will be the last one asked if she is asked.

My daughter may play next year now that the coach is gone.

This topic is called the "State of Bearden Volleyball". I just want to recap some of the things I have pointed out since I joined coacht.

1. The coach had an agenda. I said he was starting KVA for one person and only one person, and I said he was taking the Bearden job (after Garland turned it down first) for one person and only one person. That is the "agenda".

2. I also said when the one person he took the job for left, then he would leave. Face it, that's why he took it in the first place.

3. I said that he was late for last years banquet and only gave out 3 awards. I then said, "wait until next years banquet. He won't be late and he will give out a lot more than 3 awards. I will tell you. I have confirmed this to be true by SEVERAL parents that were there. It's all part of the "agenda".

The parents that stuck up for him, are now figuring out the "agenda" is a real thing. He promised a lot of things at his club and delivered on about 30% of them. The parents aren't happy either. If you were part of the U17 team last year you were happy. If you are a part of the U18 team this year you will be happy. I bet you can guess why. All the other teams took a back seat last year and they will again this year. This is all from statements parents have made.

Bearden volleyball is much better off now that the coach left. K2r..You were slightly right when you said most people knew he was leaving. The Bearden parents didn't know, they thought he was telling them the truth, but you know who knew? The administration. They knew the "agenda" and knew he was gone. Ask the former Bearden coach if the AD took it tough when he learned of him QUITTING?