The State of Bearden Volleyball

bigbluevolley

Philly, wow...great insight and recap. Yes, you have said these things all along. So, has the search for a coach at Bearden started? Has it started at Catholic? Wonder if anyone has any real insight into those job searches? Now that football is over at both schools, wonder if the ADs care enough to be pro-active?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardangle. The Bearden job has just went public. They are actively taking apps. Like I said before there is one person that will be helping with the search. The person is outside (kind of) of the program.

The catholic AD is supposed to be taking apps, but I'm not even sure he knows garland resigned yet. He's still thinking about the Fulton game. I know a lot of boys on the Fulton team. They are ready for the next round.

philly. I have to give it to you. You came with the goods a long time ago and it was all true. I also have to admit that I doubted you. I thought you were just an upset parent. I have since checked with others and they all have the same story. I will not doubt you any more. I wish I was right about the ex coach. I thought he was a stand up guy. I don't know everything I guess. It is hard for me to believe a person would do that though. Don't know any other parents that would go as far as he did in order to get his "agenda" (philly's words) pushed through. Some may call it a good parent, I have the opposite thought. Your child is not going to be babied all their life and the sooner they learn the ways of the world (on their own) the better they will be.

I am not taking up for Dave in any way. I was aware, and reported here, that he was leaving months ago. If the parents didn't know he either misled them or they weren't reading coacht.

Respectfully, I don't know who PhillyAI is, and would prefer not knowing or guessing, but I promise you that Shannon is interested in the job, and that there has been talk of her following Dave. I am not advocating that, just saying it like I said Dave was leaving weeks ago.

As far as a "search" I think that is a little naive. The job pays almost nothing, it is alot of work, and it is not that attractive of a position. Catholic is a better job. Just who is going to pay for this search? Who is going to want the job? Beach boy is right, minor sport coaching positions are difficult hires.

PhillyAI, I think you are going to be surprised about the lack of interest by the AD and by applicants. Shannon looks good on paper because of her college experience. What will happen if she is the only applicant?

Speak to girls who played for Mincey at CN. I know a few, not that it is a big deal. They are full of good info.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! You are absolutely 100% pin the tail on the donkey here. You hit the tail dead center.

K2r. You obviously have no idea about what is going on here. I like when you give your opinion though. We all have them. She can be "interested" all she wants. 3 people will have to turn the job down before she is even asked.

Listen to hardangle it knoweth what it is talking about.

K2r. I said he was leaving a long time ago. The people that "truly" know him knew it too. Remember the "agenda". Never forget that. It guides him in ALL he does. He NEVER deviates from it. It's kind of pathetic.

PhillyAI, you have been right about the Bearden coach for a long time. Do you think starting KVA helped or hurt Bearden volleyball?

As to the coaching situation I want to clarify something. Bearden and Catholic will have to follow two different paths. Bearden is a public school, that is a state employer. By law they have to post the job for ten days then interview the applicants. They can't offer the job to anyone until that occurs. They are also regulated by the TSSAA and Knox county policies which are governed by a union negotiated contract. Someone like Tom is not eligible to be a head coach in a public school unless he meets certain criteria ie, current or former teacher or he has worked as a TSSAA asst for a period of time.

I think, and BBV or HA might know better, that a Knox county school employee gets preference over a non school employee. Catholic can hire anybody they want.

Philly, who are the three being considered? Dave got the job because he worked for the school system, not because of his volleyball ability. The same for Susan at Farragut and Mike at HV. The union would not allow a non certified, non employee to jump the line.

I don't mean that to be harsh,but I think that is the procedure.

K2, sorry but that's not quite accurate. Volleyball is an exempt sport for TSSAA. That means they can hire anyone to fill positions for minor sports. They enacted this years ago to be able to have quality coaches fill minor sport positions rather than have football coaches, or similar, fill the positions. The minor sports were getting screwed and schools could not find faculty positions for all coaches. This allows them to hire the best coaches they can find. Football, basketball and baseball are considered major sports and require head coaches be faculty or staff..with a few exceptions. For example, Garland worked at UT when he was offered the Bearden job 3 years ago.

Edited by HardAngle

The first year (2 years ago) it REALLY hurt them. The coach had KVA first and Bearden Volleyball a VERY distant 2nd. It's a shame because the way he treated the "non" KVA girls was just wrong. He had KVA on his mind the whole time. I know knoxdoyle said the communication between the coach and the libero that is at Louisville was her choice. That's totally wrong. She wouldn't go to KVA to help the girls when asked and that's why the communication stopped. Now why you would ask a girl, that has been through the K2 system all her life, to help their competitor is a question I ask. Why would you put a 17 year old on the spot. She doesn't want to disrespect her coach but on the other hand she doesn't want to be non loyal to her club that got her where she is. Can you believe that HARDANGLE?? What do you think about that. Doesn't talk to a former player because she didn't help his club.

At that point the K2 girls that are still in high school chose not to play the following year. So yea it hurt the program.