Obion County in NWTN.

ToBeHonest

The first sign of change has to come from the top, and it will take time to show in the win column.

The kids already on the team will be the first wave of success... if they buy in, the recruiting will begin with them, then spread to the fan base. Get the athletes walking the halls, playing basketball and baseball, then the open zone situation will begin to fix it's self.

Here's a tip...if the fans at Obion really want a competitive program, here's your chance. Support the program, do the fundraisers, go to practice, and the games...and cheer the team on. the kids notice and will want to be a part of it. Next, support the coach...no finger pointing, I'd have done this or that, ect...give the coach and the team their fair shot, and be patient.

The first sign of change has to come from the top, and it will take time to show in the win column.

The kids already on the team will be the first wave of success... if they buy in, the recruiting will begin with them, then spread to the fan base. Get the athletes walking the halls, playing basketball and baseball, then the open zone situation will begin to fix it's self.

Here's a tip...if the fans at Obion really want a competitive program, here's your chance. Support the program, do the fundraisers, go to practice, and the games...and cheer the team on. the kids notice and will want to be a part of it. Next, support the coach...no finger pointing, I'd have done this or that, ect...give the coach and the team their fair shot, and be patient.

Well said.

why does poking around make me a troll?  i just find it unusual for a city that size to be able to remain single a with all their success and their facilities. i would think more students would pour in . when this doesnt happen it makes me think they have some system that keeps the numbers down.  thanks OCRebel for enlightening me.  I am sure they are killing your program. They could win 2a just as easy as 1a so that really doesnt matter.  i actually think they would beat every one in 3a with the exception of Alcoa

LoL...That's it...UC is killing the program at OC....Man if you want to know all about this call the freaking school...Wes Kennedy is the principal or better yet call the superintendent, Mr . Houston...OC and UC aren't playing each other because UC got tired of certain coaches trying to get kids from UC to go to OC...UC doesn't have to recruit anybody, UC always has athletes and will pretty much always win...How in the world is UC killing a program (football is what you are mainly talking about) that RARELY wins at all ?...Two or three playoff wins in the history of the school...EVER...LoL...UC killing the program at OC :huh: ...That's the most asinine thing I have ever seen on this site...

As far as the magnet program is concerned, you are given a choice to either enter the program or not... If you are a kid that has gone through the UC system from K-8 you are pretty much prepped for the magnet program by the time you enter high school so I would guess most go ahead and enter the program...Some kids are cut out for it...Some are not...If you do not enter the program, it's my understanding, you aren't eligible for things like Top 10 in your individual class or Valedictorian or Salutatorian when you graduate...

Someone on another post somewhere told how much money a school system gets for butts in chairs...Believe me...The Union City School System is  in no way, shape, form or fashion turning money down for their system to win in athletics...UC is about their academics...Almost to the point of arrogance and in reality it is how it should be....

As far as the Hispanic thing, I have no idea about that...There have been Hispanics that go to UC...There does seem to be many more that go to the feeder schools and on to OCCHS...That's only been a thing since the late 90's when Tyson opened up...

Someone else also talked about the decline in UC enrollment in relation to the opening of the feeder schools...The county was very smart when they put Lake Road and Ridgemont right outside the UC city limits and ran busses up and down city streets picking kids up...I guess the UC City Council had blinders on, was too near-sighted or just plain not too smart to not just close the zone and get it to where county kids went to the county schools and city kids continued to go to city schools...

Anyway, GOOD LUCK to PAUL DECKER, a good friend and a better man...As long as they don't play UC, I hope they win every game they play....

In reality, I liken this situation much like the deal up in Graves County, KY... Mayfield is the powerhouse football program...Small school,moving up and down from 1A to 2A...Graves. big school, is always known for basketball....Graves has always been pretty mediocre in football...GC and Mayfield both played for State Championships this year... One in 1A and the other in 5A...It CAN work but it will take a lot of HARD work....

Edited by Purple & Gold Standard

• 2 weeks later...