Maryville... What are they doing different there?

Roba22

Everyone wants to belong to a winning system. The foundation for much of this success was during the Ted Wilson years almost fifty years ago. The feeder system keeps bringing on more and more good players. A great coaching staff also helps. No one playing on both sides of the ball with plenty of substitution going on all the time keeping players fresh while most other teams play their kids till they drop which is stupid. This gives kids coming back experience and that is the biggest reason we can reload every year and do it again. 

It has to be every single part to have a program like Maryville.Coach Wilson was 150-26 at Maryville with three state titles in 14 years.Coach Wilson then came to Dobyns Bennett for 11 years.He was 96-25 with six conference titles at DB,but never got past the second round of the playoffs with the Indians.

Edited by BatmanDB

WOW what years was this?   did not know a former Maryville coach also coached at DB.   

At DB they have a ton of kids every year.  but the talent level is not on the same level as schools west of say Morristown.    They might have 1 or 2 players who can really play but most of the time the drop off is pretty bad.   

the upper north East of the state has always been that way.   Greenville High has had some good teams here the last several years but most of the time once they get to round three these teams up here can't hang.

It has to be every single part to have a program like Maryville.Coach Wilson was 150-26 at Maryville with three state titles in 14 years.Coach Wilson then came to Dobyns Bennett for 11 years.He was 96-25 with six conference tiles at DB,but never got past the second round of the playoffs with the Indians.

WOW what years was this?   did not know a former Maryville coach also coached at DB.   

At DB they have a ton of kids every year.  but the talent level is not on the same level as schools west of say Morristown.    They might have 1 or 2 players who can really play but most of the time the drop off is pretty bad.   

the upper north East of the state has always been that way.   Greenville High has had some good teams here the last several years but most of the time once they get to round three these teams up here can't hang.

You were doing all right until you went off the rails and started bashing DB. I don't know what DB has to do with your original question. The statement you make about DB not being able to compete with schools west of Morristown is pure stupidity. Maryville is the only school I know of that DB can't compete with and it looks pretty clear that that is true for every school in the state. You should do some research.

Edited by WaCoJaCo

I bet there are more DB players in the last 10 years playing ball in the NFL !! Just sayin..

Over the last 14+ years how many players from the program have gone on to play high level D1 college football? talking SEC, ACC, etc. they don't always have that kind of talent on the field every year do they? Maybe one or two like this year..

Everyone wants to belong to a winning system. The foundation for much of this success was during the Ted Wilson years almost fifty years ago. The feeder system keeps bringing on more and more good players. A great coaching staff also helps. No one playing on both sides of the ball with plenty of substitution going on all the time keeping players fresh while most other teams play their kids till they drop which is stupid. This gives kids coming back experience and that is the biggest reason we can reload every year and do it again. 

And there you go.

THEY PLAY THE SAME CUPCAKES YEAR AFTER YEAR AND STAY IN THEIR LANE...6A IS NO DIFFERENT FROM 5A.....THEY DON'T GO TO GA OR S. CAROLINA OR EVEN KENTUCKY TO CHALLENGE THEMSELVES TO SEE IF THEY ARE REALLY A POWERHOUSE TEAM...

THEY TRIED ENSWORTH FOR A QUARTER AND GOT EXPOSED......I WON'T BE IMPRESSED UNTIL THEY GO OUTSIDE OF THEIR COMFORT ZONE AND PLAY SOME REAL POWERHOUSES....WILLIAM BLOUNT, WEST, HERITAGE, HARDIN, LENIOR, WEB, ALCOA, SEVIER, BEARDEN. AND FARRAGUT ARE THE TEAMS THEY PLAY YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR....SAME RESULTS...NO CHALLENGE...REALLY???? THEY HAD A CHANCE TO PLAY 5A BALL...BUT THEY WENT RIGHT BACK TO THE SAME OLE CUPCAKES......THEY ARE THE BIG FISH IN THE POND FEASTING ON GUPPIES.....REWARD....GOLD BALL....

Waiting for those Owls to get out of cupcake 5A, drop down and play Fulton or even lower and schedule Alcoa.You're the big raptor in the aerie feasting on songbirds and still can't sniff Cookeville.

you show me their "DB"  record in the playoffs!!!!!!!  How many times in the last 20 years have they made it to the finales?   or even semifinals....?????     there are some good football players that come from the upper east tennessee..   but you do not see teams that do it on the level of Maryville the way they have the last 14+ years.    I mean just look at what happened tonight...   they took what many thought was a good S-Hill team and made it look easy.    

You were doing all right until you went off the rails and started bashing DB. I don't know what DB has to do with your original question. The statement you make about DB not being able to compete with schools west of Morristown is pure stupidity. Maryville is the only school I know of that DB can't compete with and it looks pretty clear that that is true for every school in the state. You should do some research.